CatBanter

-   -   turning down the heat? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=15634)

NOSPAM January 16th 04 04:09 PM

From: OSPAM (JLove98905)

Just curious....how low do people turn the heat down during the day (when
they
are at work, etc), for the cats? We leave ours at about 60, but I'm wondering
if it's more than they need.

I set ours at 64.
Lauren
_________
=^..^=
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
To Error is Human, To be Purrfect is Feline

Neil Law January 16th 04 05:39 PM

On 16 Jan 2004 01:03:54 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:

Just curious....how low do people turn the heat down during the day (when they
are at work, etc), for the cats? We leave ours at about 60, but I'm wondering
if it's more than they need.

-Jen

I set ours to 18

(degrees centigrade that is).

Couldn't resist with all the Fahrenheit comments :

Sunflower January 16th 04 07:13 PM

"JLove98905" wrote in message
Just curious....how low do people turn the heat down during the day (when

they
are at work, etc), for the cats? We leave ours at about 60, but I'm

wondering
if it's more than they need.

It depends on the age of the cat in question, as kittens are far more
succeptible to cold than are adult cats. Our primary vet advisor to our
shelter recommends that we not let the temperature drop below 68 when we
have kittens. Of course, we are talking caged animals that cannot seek out
a warmer spot to snuggle in, but I still don't think I'd let the temps of a
home with kittens in it drop below 65. For adult cats, if they have a spot
close to a window where they can catch some sunbeams, or a hidey hole with
lots of blankies, I wouldn't worry below about 50. Yes, outdoor cats can
tolerate pretty cold temperatures briefly, but they too need a warm hay room
or other sheltered spot, and they have acclimated to those temps slowly.
Your indoor cat is acclimated to a certain range of temps also.

DevilsPGD January 17th 04 03:13 AM

In message Priscilla
Ballou did ramble:

I'm in Boston (Roslindale), and they said to turn your heat UP as a
protective measure.

Protective of what?

--
They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken