CatBanter

-   -   Newbie with a question (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=111576)

Joy August 23rd 14 12:41 AM

Newbie with a question

Hi all,

I'm new here, although I'm a long-time subscriber to rpca. I'm hoping
somebody has some suggestions to help a poor little feral kitty.

Five years ago I adopted two three-year-old littermates, a male and a
female. A few months ago the male got cancer and subsequently had to be
PTS. The female (Pickles) has been very lonely and demanding of attention.

I thought I'd get her a companion, and consulted others about this. The
consensus seemed to be that a young male would be the best fit.

About a month ago I adopted a 4-month-old neutered male from the local
shelter. When the volunteer took him out of the cage so I could pet
him, he struggled and she said, "He's still a little bit feral."

I kept him secluded for about a week. During that time he spent most of
his time hiding. Just as I was about to initiate an introduction
between the two cats, I got the results of a test showing that he had an
infection. For the next ten days I had to dig him out of his hiding
place and give him medication. Naturally, that didn't make him feel any
more comfortable about his situation. I almost never saw him unless I
was medicating him.

A few weeks ago I started spending about half an hour every day in his
room, lying on the bed, reading. and talking and singing to him.

About a week ago he was through with his medication and tested well, so
I opened the door to the room where I'd been keeping him. Once or twice
Pickles would go into that room and they'd exchange what sounded like
insults or threats, but there was never any physical contact.

At some point they apparently reached an agreement, because now Pickles
never goes into that room, and he never comes out of it. Since I opened
the door, I've seen him out from under the bed three times.

I know he's scared to death, and I'd like to let him know he doesn't
need to be scared. I'd also like him and Pickles to become friends.
Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish either of
these things?

Joy

Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Photos at http://www.PictureTrail.com/joy9

Mack A. Damia August 23rd 14 12:49 AM

Newbie with a question

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 16:41:37 -0700, Joy wrote:

[...]

Four months old seems to be a bit early to classify a cat, "feral".

My friend in San Diego found a two year-old feral cat, and she stayed
under his bed for twenty years, only coming out at night to eat and
use the box. He had another cat, too, but I don't think they bothered
with each other.

Give him time - and the opportunity to come out of hiding. I think it
is still far too early.

Mack A. Damia August 23rd 14 01:46 AM

Newbie with a question

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 17:35:37 -0700, Joy wrote:

[...]

Kindly keep us informed of what goes on, but I would give him plenty
of love and the opportunity to get to know the other cat.

Good luck!

John Doe[_2_] August 23rd 14 01:56 AM

Newbie with a question

Joy toastie real-me.net wrote:

[...]

I agree with the other reply. Give it some time. I think you're
lucky there isn't serious fights. If there is, clip the
aggressor's claws. Your home cat would normally be jealous. Having
some experience, I definitely wouldn't expect it to accept the
newcomer for quite a while. I would concentrate on the home cat.
The things are very much aware of who you are giving attention to.

If the new cat doesn't come out, that means it's okay where it is.
As long as it's using the litter box, you are doing well.

If you want to know what feral really is... I've had a feral
female that I took in (trapped) from the not so great outdoors in
May 2007. I had no idea. To this day, it's afraid of me. Scared to
death of other people. No touch. Still hisses at me sometimes. But
even though it's unneutered, it would rather stay here than go
back into the not so great outdoors.

I have tried singing to it, many times. But I suck at singing.
There is a mental wall between it and human beings. Recently, I
believe it has started playing with my other two cats. Probably
the most fun it's had in its otherwise miserable lifetime.

My cats get places up high and out of the way (a skyway) as you
can see on my picture page...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/

Besides a place to get away from it all, a skyway helps provide
exercise. The feral spends most of its time in a loft in another
room.

They also get to hear the outside sounds thanks to an infant room
monitor (connected to a speaker for decent sound). That's nice
especially if you're gone much of the day. The calico, the newest
addition hung out by the speaker all the time when it first got
here.

Joy August 23rd 14 02:29 AM

Newbie with a question

On 8/22/2014 5:46 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
[...]

Thank you. The only way I know of to give him love is to talk to him.
I can't get close enough to touch him. I've had a total of three
opportunities to pet him.

1) When the volunteer took him out of the cage and he was struggling wildly

2) When I took him to the vet. After the basic exam, the vet and her
assistant left the room while he was still lying on the table. He was
frozen in place and trembling. I did pet him and talk soothingly to
him, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

3) One of the times I gave him his medicine I had to dig him out of a
tight corner. I was afraid of getting scratched, so I threw a towel
over him, wrapped him in it and took him onto the bed to give him the
meds. Afterward I unwrapped him and he just laid there, so I petted him
for a while. He appeared to be too scared to move.

Since he spends all his time (when not eating or using the box) under
the bed, I'd get down on the floor and talk to him. However, I'm 78
years old and I don't think I could get up if I ever got down there.

The door is open, except when I leave the house and at night. I figure
if the door is closed at night he might lie on the bed rather than under
it. I want them to get acquainted, but I want to be around when it
happens, in case of any problems.

Thanks again. I need all the luck I can get.

Joy

Joy August 23rd 14 02:32 AM

Newbie with a question

On 8/22/2014 5:56 PM, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Wow, you really go all out for your cats! That's great.

I'm no good at singing either, but I do it anyway, just to get him used
to my voice.

Yes, I'm giving Pickles lots of attention. I just hope we reach a time
when the new one isn't scared all the time.

Joy

Mack A. Damia August 23rd 14 03:28 AM

Newbie with a question

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:29:45 -0700, Joy wrote:

[...]

Also, get him a few special toys - even a rolled up sock or a cloth
mousie. You could try a good grade of catnip, too - maybe after a
while, but talking to him regularly in a soft, quiet and loving voice
ought to bring him around eventually. Sit on the bed if you can't get
down; I can appreciate what a problem that can be, and my thoughts are
with you on that chore!

I think he will accept you before he accepts the other cat, but just
hang in there.

Joy August 23rd 14 06:34 AM

Newbie with a question

On 8/22/2014 7:28 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I appreciate both the encouragement and the advice. I'm
certainly not going to give up on him.

Joy

Mack A. Damia August 23rd 14 05:00 PM

Newbie with a question

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 22:34:30 -0700, Joy wrote:

[...]

What have you named him? I am probably telling you something that you
already know, but choose a name that is easy for him to learn and
recognize. Use the hard vowels

I have two. I named my first "Pookie" after the Soupy Sales puppet,
and I named my second "Bubba" I thought she was a he, but when I
discovered the truth with the vets help, I kept the name. Very easy
for them both to recognize.

Bubba on the left; Pookie on the right. Photo taken a while ago.
Bubba has grown. She's a hoot!

http://www.4shared.com/photo/PragoIC...nd_pookie.html