CatBanter

-   -   Update: Tweaker/Bathroom Cat (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26965)

Charlie Wilkes May 7th 05 12:50 AM

Update: Tweaker/Bathroom Cat

TWEAKER

I saw a commercial once on TV -- digitally edited safari footage that
showed a tiny cat stalking and hunting a big game animal. It was an
ad for some kind of cat food I think, with a tag line to the effect
that the heart of a big cat beats in the chest of every armchair
kitty.

It reminds me of Tweaker, the 4-pound lion who stalks and attacks my
85-pound rottweiler/shepherd. He crouches down and glares at her
while she eyes him ruefully and backs slowly away. Then he launches
with a screeching yowl and bats furiously at her legs and flanks with
his balled-up fists until he has her against a wall, where she cowers
with her tail down until I rescue her by snatching up the cat.

Slowly but surely she is learning to play with him and give it back,
though. It's an unusual role-reversal -- the dog is quiet and
dignified, whereas the cat is obnoxious and out of control. He also
attacks my feet when I try to move around. But he never scratches,
not even slightly. He is a self-declawing cat.

The other thing he loves is the red matchbox-type radio-controlled car
that I got at Radio Shack for $15. He goes berzerk when I put it down
on the kitchen floor and start moving it around.

He is easily forgiven because he is so affectionate and tiny and has
so much character. He's a warm ball of fun.

BATHROOM CAT -- BEYOND FERAL?

The bathroom cat has thwarted my attempts at capture to the point
where I have backed off and am now using hunger (but not excessively)
as a taming force. This is one hostile, ferocious animal, and not a
small one either. I wonder if she is not a natural lynx hybrid. Take
another look at these pix:

www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/catcam.htm

And then look at this link:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pl...90/canlynx.htm

I'm right up against the Canadian border, on the edge of the habitat,
but definitely on the inside edge, especially with the greenbelt that
runs along this stretch of border.

She is apparently not pregnant, but I think I have solved the mystery.
It turns out there is another cat who looks almost identical living on
or around my property. I trapped the wrong one.

Next week I go for the hard drugs if nothing else has worked by then.

Charlie

mlbriggs May 7th 05 01:08 AM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 23:50:10 +0000, Charlie Wilkes wrote:

[...]

good luck. She definitely has a wild look. MLB

Mary May 7th 05 01:34 AM

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
TWEAKER

[...]

He sounds like quite a heart stealer!

[...]

Hmm. What made you decide she is not pregnant?

KellyH May 7th 05 02:28 AM

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote
BATHROOM CAT -- BEYOND FERAL?

The bathroom cat has thwarted my attempts at capture to the point
where I have backed off and am now using hunger (but not excessively)
as a taming force. This is one hostile, ferocious animal, and not a
small one either. I wonder if she is not a natural lynx hybrid. Take
another look at these pix:

www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/catcam.htm

And then look at this link:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pl...90/canlynx.htm

I don't know, she looks like a regular domestic shorthair brown tiger to me.
What about putting a trap in the bathroom in order to take her to the vet?
Then you can clear up the "is she pregnant" mystery, get her spayed if not,
and release her or tame her, whichever you choose.

Are you going to trap look-a-like cat too?

--
-Kelly

Charlie Wilkes May 7th 05 02:45 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005 20:34:57 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .
TWEAKER

[...]

[...]

I have reached that conclusion after having her in captivity for about
a month with no change in her appearance or any kittens. The cat I
videoed in my crawl-space looked ready to deliver. Cats have a 60-day
gestation period, right?

The other day I reached into the shower for a bar of soap, not
realizing she was perched on the stub wall. She freaked out, jumped
down onto the wash stand and snarled at me in a manner that was not
like that of any housecat I have seen. Her thighs are more muscular,
and she is all-around a more powerful animal.

Charlie

Mary May 7th 05 05:00 AM

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote :

Hmm. What made you decide she is not pregnant?

I have reached that conclusion after having her in captivity for about
a month with no change in her appearance or any kittens. The cat I
videoed in my crawl-space looked ready to deliver.

I see.

The other day I reached into the shower for a bar of soap, not
realizing she was perched on the stub wall. She freaked out, jumped
down onto the wash stand and snarled at me in a manner that was not
like that of any housecat I have seen. Her thighs are more muscular,
and she is all-around a more powerful animal.

I think she might be a feral tabby. I hope you try to get the other cat!

Charlie Wilkes May 7th 05 05:41 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005 21:28:39 -0400, "KellyH"
wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote
BATHROOM CAT -- BEYOND FERAL?

The bathroom cat has thwarted my attempts at capture to the point
where I have backed off and am now using hunger (but not excessively)
as a taming force. This is one hostile, ferocious animal, and not a
small one either. I wonder if she is not a natural lynx hybrid. Take
another look at these pix:

www.geocities.com/wallofgrays/catcam.htm

And then look at this link:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pl...90/canlynx.htm

I don't know, she looks like a regular domestic shorthair brown tiger to me.
What about putting a trap in the bathroom in order to take her to the vet?
Then you can clear up the "is she pregnant" mystery, get her spayed if not,
and release her or tame her, whichever you choose.

She looks like an ordinary cat, but she doesn't act like any ordinary
cat I've ever seen. She's got some serious muscle development, too.

I think the idea of setting the trap in the bathroom is a good one. I
don't want to tame her as a pet; I just want to fix her and let her do
her thing.

Are you going to trap look-a-like cat too?

I will if I can.

Charlie

bigbadbarry May 7th 05 06:55 AM

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Next week I go for the hard drugs if nothing else has worked by then.

Charlie

Luring takes time.

You got her sitting in the shower window (she knew you was in there)

Have you named her, you could call her to eat, you know ring the
dinner bell.

but I would not reach for her untill she makes the first move toward
you, even then, you could, show cautiousness yourself, pretend your not
shure of her intention ~ that should blow her mind, let her know that
you are not luring.

Maybe put something from the dirty clothes in the window so she can get
your scent.

You just have to love her at a distance, keep meeting her need that's
all Im saying, she'll come around when she's ready. Food in itself can
be a drug, lots of people sedate other family members with food.

Charlie Wilkes May 7th 05 08:05 AM

On 6 May 2005 22:55:29 -0700, "bigbadbarry"
wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Next week I go for the hard drugs if nothing else has worked by then.

Charlie

Luring takes time.

You got her sitting in the shower window (she knew you was in there)

Have you named her, you could call her to eat, you know ring the
dinner bell.

but I would not reach for her untill she makes the first move toward
you, even then, you could, show cautiousness yourself, pretend your not
shure of her intention ~ that should blow her mind, let her know that
you are not luring.

Maybe put something from the dirty clothes in the window so she can get
your scent.

You just have to love her at a distance, keep meeting her need that's
all Im saying, she'll come around when she's ready. Food in itself can
be a drug, lots of people sedate other family members with food.

I haven't named her, and if she wants to be my pet, she will have to
show more initiative than she has so far. I'll feed her if she
sticks around after I release her, and she need never warm up to me.
I will be happy to admire her from a distance -- as long as I know
she isn't producing more feral cats!

Charlie

Orchid May 7th 05 02:20 PM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 23:50:10 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

This is one hostile, ferocious animal, and not a
small one either. I wonder if she is not a natural lynx hybrid. Take
another look at these pix:

*laugh* No, she's just a feral felis catus with a ticked
tabby coat. Lynxes do not see cats as potential mates -- they are
simply too small. Lynxes _eat_ cats. :)

If she's more powerful than you expect, remember that she's no
pampered housecat -- she is as close to a wild animal as a felis catus
can get. If she weren't lean, hard, and ready-and-able to defend
herself she wouldn't be alive.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid