CatBanter

-   -   I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting) (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=108672)

jmcquown[_2_] October 31st 12 06:01 PM

I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

I swear, I need to learn to say "no" to my neighbor when she asks me to cat
sit. She *assures* me there is plenty of cat food and cat litter, but that
is never the case!

Schwartzie is on the same prescription (k/d) kibble Persia eats. She left
about 1/3 of a 4 lb. bag with instructions to just add a scoop to what is
left from the day before. When I went over this morning the bowl was empty!
I put two scoops in his bowl and looked in the bag... there *might* be
enough for another couple of days. I've been adding a little of Fedders'
c/d to try to stretch it, but there's not much of that left, either. There
is plenty of Fancy Feast but they aren't supposed to eat only that. sigh

As for kitty litter... I used up the remainder of the Tidy Cat's jug (there
was only about 1/4 of it left) yesterday morning. I saw a box of Arm &
Hammer kitty litter right there, so I thought no problem! Except the box
has been opened and is only half full! She has two cats, one litter box and
it needs to be scooped twice a day. I don't think this is going to last
until she gets home Saturday night.

Okay, I can take over a bag of cat litter since I got a great deal on Cat's
Pride scoopable clumping litter (10 lbs. for $1.50 after the coupon!). But
I pay $34 a bag for the prescription food for Persia and I'm not about give
it away just because she didn't plan ahead.

I really don't understand it. If I was going out of town for a week I'd
make sure I had at least two weeks worth of *everything*. Next time, unless
I can inspect her supplies the day before she leaves, I won't just take her
word for it. I should have learned by now.

Sorry, just venting again. I do love her cats. They're sweet, loveable
boys. But this is bordering on ridiculous.

Jill

Christina Websell October 31st 12 07:37 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I always make sure there are boxes and boxes of food pouches - probably 8-10
weeks worth stored up for Boyfie in case I get admitted to hospital and that
was certainly needed when I broke my ankle.
I'd probably say to your neighbour when she comes home "I am happy to look
after your cats but this will be the last time unless you provide enough
food/litter/whatever to last while you're away otherwise you'll have to find
someone else"
And stick to that decision. It's not up to you to provide for her cats and
just tell her you won't be buying any food or litter while she is away.
She's taking you for a fool as we say.
Myself, I would worry if I knew I hadn't provided enough food in case the
caretaker didn't, but obviously that's not a problem for your neighbour.
She expects you to provide food and litter!!
But what if you didn't?

Tweed

jmcquown[_2_] October 31st 12 08:47 PM

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Or, as I said in my post, inspect her cat supplies before I say yes.

And stick to that decision. It's not up to you to provide for her cats and
just tell her you won't be buying any food or litter while she is away.
She's taking you for a fool as we say.

No, she's not *taking* me for anything. She always only just cuts it close
with the food (usually there is plenty of litter). So far I've never had to
buy food or litter for her cats. This time, it seems she's pushing it a
little.

If I had to go to town to buy the prescription food for either cat, I'd
leave a receipt, of course she'd pay me back. Why didn't she just buy
another bag of the k/d and the c/d before she left? (sigh)

Jill

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) October 31st 12 09:09 PM

jmcquown wrote:

Sorry, just venting again. I do love her cats. They're sweet, loveable
boys. But this is bordering on ridiculous.

Jill

When you contribute the food and litter she "overlooked", does she
reimburse you for the cost?

jmcquown[_2_] November 1st 12 12:28 AM

I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

m...

jmcquown wrote:

Sorry, just venting again. I do love her cats. They're sweet, loveable
boys. But this is bordering on ridiculous.

Jill

When you contribute the food and litter she "overlooked", does she
reimburse you for the cost?

So far I haven't had to do that but it looks like on this trip I may have
to. And yes, she'll reimburse me. It just shouldn't be necessary for me to
stock up for her when she knew she was going out of town.

Jill

Bastette November 1st 12 12:59 AM

I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

Christina Websell wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

Here's the problem with that: why should the cats suffer? If I were in
Jill's situation, I would be very annoyed about it, but I wouldn't let
the cats go hungry because their human doesn't know how to think ahead.
Then someone else always takes care of the consequences, so she never
has to learn.

I liked the idea of Jill inspecting the quantity of food and litter before
the neighbor leaves town, so Jill's assured there's enough to last the
length of her neighbor's trip. If the neighbor gets defensive about it, Jill
can then say that's her requirement for catsitting. Because the last time
the neighbor said there was enough, there wasn't, and Jill can't take her
word for it anymore. I think that's reasonable. It takes some assertiveness,
but it's certainly not out of line. Has she *ever* gone away and provided
enough of everything for them?

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.

Bastette November 1st 12 01:04 AM

I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

jmcquown wrote:

m...

jmcquown wrote:

Sorry, just venting again. I do love her cats. They're sweet, loveable
boys. But this is bordering on ridiculous.

Jill

When you contribute the food and litter she "overlooked", does she
reimburse you for the cost?

So far I haven't had to do that but it looks like on this trip I may have
to. And yes, she'll reimburse me. It just shouldn't be necessary for me to
stock up for her when she knew she was going out of town.

And isn't it a schlep for you to go into town? If you weren't planning to,
that's a hassle for you that you shouldn't have to put up with. I mean,
it happens sometimes, and I'm sure you'd be willing to do it for someone
who is usually reliable and just got it wrong once. But with this woman,
it's a pattern. I guess it's too late to nip it in the bud, but you shouldn't
have to keep dealing with her flakiness.

She is kind of flaky, isn't she? She also doesn't seem to know how to
communicate properly to other people who are taking care of things for
her while she travels, so everyone knows what they are and are not doing.
I remember that time when the woman who was watering the plants thought
she should also feed the cats.

jmcquown[_2_] November 1st 12 01:58 AM

I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

"Bastette" wrote in message ...

jmcquown wrote:

m...

jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's a pattern. The problem is she knows I don't really have an excuse
to say "no". She knows I don't travel. I'm always home. So... convenient.

Yes, it's a bit of a drive to town to the vet to get the cat food. I like
to plan ahead and make one trip with a shopping list. I don't like the idea
of having to make a special trip just for her cat food. But I won't let him
go without it. It's prescription food, kidney like Persia has been eating.

Yes, if I buy a bag of food she'll reimburse me. I'll just leave her the
receipt with the bag and a note. But my goodness, I don't understand why
she can't plan ahead. I'm starting to think she might be getting a little
dotty.

Jill

Takayuki November 1st 12 02:31 AM

I spoke too soon (about the cat sitting)

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:47:30 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:
No, she's not *taking* me for anything. She always only just cuts it close
with the food (usually there is plenty of litter). So far I've never had to
buy food or litter for her cats. This time, it seems she's pushing it a
little.

If I had to go to town to buy the prescription food for either cat, I'd
leave a receipt, of course she'd pay me back. Why didn't she just buy
another bag of the k/d and the c/d before she left? (sigh)

I hope she leaves you plenty of supplies next time. If you refused to
kittysit the boys ever again, even *I* would miss them. :)

MaryL[_2_] November 1st 12 04:05 AM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. I always keep at least 3 cases of cat food on hand even for
myself, just to make sure I would be covered if I ever have an emergency.
In addition to what Tweed wrote, I would suggest that Jill request the
neighbor always leave a certain sum of money for her. She could use that
for the cats, as needed, and return anything that is left over. Even with
that, the neighbor certainly should leave plenty of supplies (but obviously
doesn't) because it's not Jill's responsibility to make purchases for her.

MaryL