CatBanter

-   -   Lump on cat's stomach (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18704)

Bill July 13th 04 02:48 AM

Lump on cat's stomach

Hi I have 3 cats, 1 is 3-4 y/o female not fixed, had 1 litter of kittens
about a year ago, 2nd one is a 2 y/o male fixed and the other is a 8-10 wk
old female kitten. Since the 2 adult cats have gotten used to the kitten
being here and actually like her, the kitten seems to like nursing on the
adult female. Has been going on for 2-3 weeks. Well now on the adult
female's stomach in a big patch under 2-3 nipples there is a hard lump there
that is painful to her to the touch. This has just developed in the last few
days. Any suggestions of 1: how to get the kitten to stop nursing and 2:
should I worry about the lump or just get the kitten to quit nursing and
it'll take care of itself?

-----
Remember life is not a box of chocolates it's a jar of
jalapenos...what you do today could burn your ass
tomorrow!!!
-----

[email protected] July 13th 04 02:58 AM

Well now on the adult female's stomach
in a big patch under 2-3 nipples there is a
hard lump there that is painful to her to
the touch. This has just developed in the
last few days. Any suggestions of 1: how
to get the kitten to stop nursing and 2:
should I worry about the lump or just get
the kitten to quit nursing and it'll take care
of itself?

Unspayed cats are at a high risk of developing mammary cancer, and the
risk increases with every heat. This may be what's happining and was
coincidental with the kitten nursing. You should take this cat to a vet
ASAP for a diagnosis, and get her spayed as well. Your kitten can be
spayed as early as 8 weeks, and should be done no later than 4 months so
you don't risk her going into heat and getting pregnant, or developing
mammary cancer or pyometra later in life.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Karen Chuplis July 13th 04 03:41 AM

in article , Bill at
wrote on 7/12/04 9:24 PM:

Ok so that's a possible answer to one question....will be looked into, but
what about the other? How do I get this friggin kitten to quit nursing?

How often does she do this and when? If someone is around to check, remove
the kitten when it begins. Distract her. Cuddle her. At this point it is
just a comforting habit. Can you separate them when you are not around to
watch?

Mary July 13th 04 03:57 AM

"Bill" wrote in message
Ok so that's a possible answer to one question....will be looked into, but

what about the other? How do I get this friggin kitten to quit nursing?

The only way is to separate them.