CatBanter

-   Cat rescue (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Feral kitten (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25136)

Larry Caligan via CatKB.com March 9th 05 05:40 PM

Feral kitten

I have a feral kitten that showed up at my house the day my seet Blanca
died. It is black with white boots and will now come into the porch and eat
but runs away and comes back even if it only sees us inside. How long
should I wait before trying to trap it or should I do it as soon as
possible. I don't know if you read my account on the other page but my big
white tomcat watches over the kitten like a Daddy. Thanks Larry

cat herder March 12th 05 04:54 AM

"Larry Caligan via CatKB.com" wrote in message
:I have a feral kitten that showed up at my house the day my seet Blanca
: died. It is black with white boots and will now come into the porch and
eat
: but runs away and comes back even if it only sees us inside. How long
: should I wait before trying to trap it or should I do it as soon as
: possible. I don't know if you read my account on the other page but my big
: white tomcat watches over the kitten like a Daddy. Thanks Larry
:
: --
: Message posted via http://www.catkb.com

Trap them as soon as possible. Pet them as much as
you can. Wear a glove if necessary. Don't be afraid if
he hisses at you but lets you touch him. Good luck. We've
got 3 ferals, ex-ferals, one of which is almost normal now
after being caught in the fan belt of a truck and two that
are the most affectionate, and also feisty, we have ever
had.

Don't give up.
: -)

Rhonda March 12th 05 05:20 PM

I think you should do it soon. The longer the cat does not have human
contact, the longer it could take for him to decide humans are okay.

After you trap him, be patient. Our trapped kittens took several weeks
to know that it was nice to be petted, and the older kitten we had
trapped previously took longer. They all are grateful now!

Rhonda

Larry Caligan via CatKB.com March 22nd 05 12:12 PM

A follow up on our feral kitten. Well "Boots" is becoming much more
sociable. Yeserday she let me pet her just a little bit and she purred
away. I had built a cage as I was going to put her in it so we could tame
her,but I think now I will try and tame her without the cage. Thanks for
everyone's input. Larry C

Priscilla H. Ballou March 22nd 05 08:24 PM

"Larry Caligan via CatKB.com" wrote:

A follow up on our feral kitten. Well "Boots" is becoming much more
sociable. Yeserday she let me pet her just a little bit and she purred
away. I had built a cage as I was going to put her in it so we could tame
her,but I think now I will try and tame her without the cage. Thanks for
everyone's input. Larry C

Excellent progress! Go for it!

Priscilla

Rhonda March 23rd 05 03:16 AM

Yeah! That is very happy news!

Let us know how it's going with Boots. I want to know when she's curled
up on your couch, fast asleep...

Rhonda

Larry Caligan via CatKB.com March 24th 05 12:08 PM

Boots and I are making great progress last night she let me pick her up for
a little bit and she even came in the kitchen door just a little
bit,patience is paying off.Larry

Priscilla H. Ballou March 24th 05 06:25 PM

"Larry Caligan via CatKB.com" wrote:

Boots and I are making great progress last night she let me pick her up for
a little bit and she even came in the kitchen door just a little
bit,patience is paying off.Larry

Yaaaayyyyyyy!!!! Good human. Have a cookie. ;-)

Priscilla

Larry Caligan via CatKB.com March 28th 05 05:29 PM

Saturday Boots let me pick her up so I went ahead and put her in the cage.
She fussed a little bit but pretty soon she became adjusted to it, but last
night she broke out. She was found sitting in the corner so we tried
putting her in the den but she crawled way under the steps, so we put her
back in the cage for a little more training but she is letting us hold her
without squirming too much.But I think she is enjoying the warm house and a
nice dry bed plus all the attention. LarryC

Larry Caligan via CatKB.com March 29th 05 01:17 PM

When I got home last night Boots was loose again9can't figure out how shes
escaping. So I fixed up the den where she can't hide in inacessible nooks,
and I picked her up and she really cuddled up and purred away. I think
we're on the right track now. Larry C.