CatBanter

-   -   Uneaten canned food (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=71040)

Kiran May 1st 06 08:21 AM

Uneaten canned food

I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

What a Feline May 1st 06 11:25 AM

Uneaten canned food

"Kiran" wrote in message

I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Think of all the starving children in the world, you soft, pampered ****.
Three possibilities spring to mind :

(1) Eat it yourself.
(2) Tie your cat down; force open its jaws; and MAKE the little ****er eat
it.
(3) Lock the cat in a box, or an escape-proof room for a week, with no food.
On release, see if it's in the mood.

MaryL May 1st 06 11:39 AM

Uneaten canned food

"Kiran" wrote in message
I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Yes, you could save it for later if it is refrigerated. It should be fine
as long as it is covered (either plastic wrap or a plastic cover). I
haven't needed to do that because mine eat all of their food, but I did that
for awhile during the "transition" period from dry food to premium canned
food. In addition, I give each cat 1/3 cat of premium canned food (5.5 oz.)
twice a day. I refrigerate the remainder in the original can with a plastic
lid. That leaves 1/3 can, and two of those are then used together for a
meal.

MaryL
Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Recent pics: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Spider May 1st 06 01:35 PM

Uneaten canned food

"Kiran" wrote in message
I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Hi Kiran,

Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit, then
comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you should
poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again later.
My Cheetah yowls at me crossly from her dish when she wants fresh, and she's
even dragged me in from the garden if I've missed her dinner time, so I know
she's not forcing herself to eat rotten food. I've never met a cat who
would. Don't be too ready to snatch up uneaten food until you've given her
chance to eat it. When either of my cats are fussy, I simply refuse to feel
guilty (they're very well cared for) and I serve their next dinner at the
appropriate time. Yes, occasionally I throw away an uneaten dinner, but
it's always at the next meal time, not in response to pussy pathos.

Yes, of course you can refridgerate uneaten food. It must be covered, and
cling film is fine. When you want to serve it again, be sure to let it come
to room temperature as most cats prefer their food this way. Having said
that, my ex Tiggypuss loved his dinner straight from the fridge, so maybe
try this as well. You already know that your puss will tell you if she
doesn't appreciate it.

Try not to worry. It's easy to be governed by pussy pathos but, when you
know how, it's easier still not to be. Another quick tip: don't watch kitty
eat - would you like it? - put her dinner down and walk away, so she's knows
you mean business.

Hope all goes well,
Spider

Unknown One May 1st 06 01:37 PM

Uneaten canned food

I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Don't know about yours but mine very seldon will eat when I give it to them but by morning
it is always gone. I would just leave it and see if they eat it later. I have one that
loves his canned food but he prefers it after it starts to dry out then he wolfs down
whatever the others have left.

The others eat a little at a time when they "get the urge" to eat.

lastcatstanding May 1st 06 02:01 PM

Uneaten canned food

On Mon, 1 May 2006 11:25:05 +0100, "What a Feline"
] wrote:

"Kiran" wrote in message

I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...
Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Think of all the starving

SLAP

You have nothing to contribute.

Kiran May 1st 06 03:27 PM

Uneaten canned food

Spider wrote:

: Many cats (my Cheetah is one) enjoy their wet food a bit more gamey.
: Cheetah licks the jelly off her food, waits for it to 'ripen' a bit, then
: comes back and devours most of what's left. This doesn't mean you should
: poison your cat with putrid food, but let her decide to try again later.

Thank you for your most reassuring post. Yeah, maybe I do watch her and
pay attention to her reactions too much, and it would be better to just
relax.

How long would you leave the wet food uneaten on the plate before you
either regrigerate it or discard it? These days my home is probably at
60 degrees.

:

Kiran May 1st 06 03:30 PM

Uneaten canned food

Unknown One wrote:

: Don't know about yours but mine very seldon will eat when I give it to them
: but by morning it is always gone. I would just leave it and see if they eat it later.

Good to know! I assume you mean serve it in the evening/night and leave
it till next morning; so, it is ok to leave it for 8-10 hours? I know
you can do that with dry, but I was worrying about canned.

FirstDogSitting May 1st 06 04:17 PM

Uneaten canned food - [email protected]

****.
Three possibilities spring to mind :

(1) Eat it yourself.
(2) Tie your cat down; force open its jaws; and MAKE the little ****er
eat it.
(3) Lock the cat in a box, or an escape-proof room for a week, with no

food.
On release, see if it's in the mood.

unSLAPped
You have nothing to contribute.

Neither has :
lastcatstanding,

cybercat May 1st 06 07:04 PM

Uneaten canned food

"Unknown One" wrote in message

I open a can and put the food in a bowl. The cat decides after a few
sniffs and licks that she's not in mood...

Can the food be saved for later? If so, can I just cover it with a
plastic wrap and refrigerate, or should I put it in a can with tight
lid?

Or, does it really have to be discarded (ouch, at those premium
prices!)?

Don't know about yours but mine very seldon will eat when I give it to

them but by morning
it is always gone. I would just leave it and see if they eat it later. I

have one that
loves his canned food but he prefers it after it starts to dry out then he

wolfs down
whatever the others have left.

The others eat a little at a time when they "get the urge" to eat.

Same here. I have seen advice to take up the food in 30 minutes but if I did
that my Gracie would not get a chance to eat. It keeps just fine for hours
in
a house kept at about 70 degrees. Perhaps in hotter places there might be
as danger, but I doubt there would be until, say, 8 hours or more had
passed.