CatBanter

-   -   What Do you do? A Poll (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23327)

Elise January 15th 05 04:26 AM

Tanada wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out
of work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to
a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

Pam S.

Bookkeeper for a family owned hardware store/lumber yard/home center. I
intended to have a banking career but the 80's/90's weren't kind to
banks and after the third takeover (and layoff) I gave up :)
DH has worn many (and extremely varied) hats but is currently a FedEx
courier.

--
Elise (supervised by Gossamer & Jeeves)
pics:

Victor Martinez January 15th 05 04:47 AM

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Tax unfairness aside (and that's a pretty huge aside), I think I read
somewhere that you could do something with legal documents (something
like power of attorney) that would allow you to have legal say-so
regarding medical things and other personal affairs. I think it's
criminal that something like that should be necessary, but is that a
possiblity?

Yes, I have downloaded the necessary forms, but have yet to print them
and have them notarized. Like I told Tom, all I want is the power to
pull the plug on you... ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Howard Berkowitz January 15th 05 05:53 AM

In article ,
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm retired from the phone company. I used to splice fiber optic
cables as well as install and maintain the electronics that translate
little flashes of laser light back into telephone lines. When I
became disabled, I switched to repair testing from a computer terminal
of some of the special hi-speed circuits that I had installed when I
was out in the field.

Most of the really high-capacity cables run in underground conduits
and are spliced together in manholes. Would anyone like to hear the
story of the giant alligators that live underground beneath our
cities?

Thank you, I have had sufficient bites from DC repeater power on T1
spans.

pmendhall January 15th 05 06:31 AM

I coordinate funding approvals for a telecommunications company. Note: I
am in no way, a financial person. I have a Masters Degree in Stage
Management and Lighting Design, which has come in handy when working with
large groups of people of varying temperaments and egos.

Diane

ink.net...

JB January 15th 05 06:32 AM

In . net,
Tanada shouted to everyone in earshot,
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks,

Present! I do networking stuff for Michigan Tech University. I
supposedly manage the day-to-day of the router and (several hundred)
switches that make up the network, but they mostly take care of
themselves, so I tend to do a lot of programming--automated
configuration of switches, web applications for our techs to use, and
other stuff that reduces human (i. e., error-prone) interaction with
the network and network services. Of course, I introduce my own set
of problems into everything, as any imperfect programmer would, but I
*think* it's still less than what would come out of the manual
equivalents of what I've written. And, like many who have strong
convictions about what's best for everyone else who uses computers g ,
I do unix system administration. But I don't really have any
end-users, so I'm able to greet the day with a scowl instead of a wish
for a different job.

My job started in 1995 when I was an MTU student--mostly system
administration and management of the (now-gone) campus dial-in pool.
Since I have no ambition, I managed to turn my student position into a
staff position after a couple years and started doing the heavy
networking stuff then.

Getting vaguely off-topic here, but for some reason, I also do some of
my job duties as an overgrown hobby. Computer control freak that I
am, I can't stand using an ISP's mail service, web server, whatever,
so a like-minded friend and I bought a server and stuck it in a well-
connected ISP's co-location facility. So we operate our own little
web-and-mail deal for our families and did a lot of web/database
programming to set up what's really a pretty nice service for
everyone. But what on earth is wrong with me (us)?

Jeff
--
j if e-mail to the posting address | This could lead to excellence
f bounces, look left and below. | Or serious injury!

CDC January 15th 05 06:41 AM

I do phone support for accounting software, after doing 12 years of
accounting that nearly drove me insane. Much happier now! (As are the cats
as I am home at regular times now!)

- Cindy

ink.net...

Tish Silberbauer January 15th 05 06:44 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:30:21 +1300, Bev wrote:

I'm a retired writer of books and short stories for children.
Keep telling myself that I am going to write another novel, do a chapter
then go off on another overseas trip, lol. I taught the piano for a
bit in my callow youth, learned shorthand typing (great for being a
writer) and wandered around working in legal offices, newspaper offices,
architects
etc before becoming a full-time writer. I also bred pedigree cream and
blue persian cats.

Bev

Huge kudos to you. I've tried a couple of times to get a manuscript
for a children's book published, but keep getting polite regret
letters (as in "we regret to inform you..."). I'll keep trying, I
guess, and in the mean time continue with my real job :^)

How do you "break into" it? Or is it a matter of persistence and
luck? If so, then it is just like trying to get into academia.

Next I have some spare time I'm going to write the next children's
book manuscript that is living in my head - tentatively titled "The
Poo Zoo".

Tish

Seanette Blaylock January 15th 05 06:51 AM

"CDC" usenetATcafechatnoirDOTnet had some very interesting things to
say about What Do you do? A Poll :

I do phone support for accounting software, after doing 12 years of
accounting that nearly drove me insane. Much happier now! (As are the cats
as I am home at regular times now!)

Hopefully accounting software users are smarter than the average Web
site shipper [I've done phone tech support].

CDC January 15th 05 06:56 AM

You would think, but it's kind of disturbing how many don't know how to find
a file on their own machine and how much accounting 101 we end up doing with
them.

- Cindy

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...

mlbriggs January 15th 05 07:33 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 02:17:42 +0000, O J wrote:

M L Briggs wrote:

O J wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
Most of the really high-capacity cables run in underground conduits
and are spliced together in manholes. Would anyone like to hear the
story of the giant alligators that live underground beneath our
cities?

Would love to hear your (fairy) tales.

So you don't believe there are scary things that haunt the underground
passages of our cities, eh? We'll see how you feel after I tell you
my little tale.

My partner and I were working in South-Central LA when the movie
"Alligator" had just been released and was blanketing the TV with ads.
I was down in a manhole, but out of sight in a corner checking to make
sure the ductwork matched the blueprint for the job. I overheard my
partner up above talking to some children and telling them a fairy
story about alligators that lived under the street.

The children pooh-poohed his tale as a lot of nonsense, so he dared
them to call down the manhole with the 'special alligator call' which
he proceeded to demonstrate for them. I heard children's voices
calling out with little oook-oook sounds and took a deep breath in
preparation. I let out my best alligator roar which was magnified by
the echo of the little concrete room!!

The next sound I heard was the screams of children followed by the
laughter of my partner. He told me that those kids didn't stop
running for two blocks!

So you see, there really are scary things to be found under the city
streets. Bwah-hah-hah-hah!!

Regards and Purrs,
O J

As a child I simply loved ghost stories -- the scarier, the better.
I didn't get scared of spiders until I was older. I'll bet that manhole
had a few of those. MLB