CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2 cats need home for 6 months (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20646)

John Moran August 31st 03 04:15 PM

2 cats need home for 6 months

Hi there

We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
can't find a home for.

We were wondering if there was some kindly
soul - preferably in the south London area - who
would be willing to look after them while we are
away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
you need a holiday home for your cats.

They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.

Hope to hear from somebody

John

~*SooZy*~ August 31st 03 06:16 PM

John try posting in freeuk.pets.co.uk and I am sure there are other cat
websites that may be able to help you out. Many people may be put off as 6
months is a long time, and the cats will settle and bond with them, then
they have to hand them back! :-(

-
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
New Pictures added every few days
http://community.webshots.com/user/ragdollcatsuk

~*SooZy*~ August 31st 03 06:19 PM

"Mogie" wrote in message
Geeze they don't plan on paying someone for boarding their cats. If they

can
afford to go around the world they could spring for boarding at a kennel.

it would cost about £2,000 a lot of money, plus very unfair on the cats!

John Moran August 31st 03 06:36 PM

Very helpful thank you

If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
asked for them.

In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.
If I can find somebody willing to do it and reciprocate
in kind then what the hell do you care?

MaryL August 31st 03 06:50 PM

"John Moran" wrote in message
Hi there

We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
can't find a home for.

We were wondering if there was some kindly
soul - preferably in the south London area - who
would be willing to look after them while we are
away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
you need a holiday home for your cats.

They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.

Hope to hear from somebody

John

John,

You didn't ask for other suggestions, but this occurred to me: Would it be
feasible to arrange for someone to stay in your house or apartment during
the time you are gone in exchange for caring for your cats? Of course, you
may already have made other arrangements for your home -- but if not, this
could be a "good deal" all around. You would have someone to take care of
your cats and would not have a vacant home for 6 months (which is sometimes
an open invitation to burglars), the cats could stay in their own
environment without having their lives disrupted, and the person who stays
there could do so for minimal cost (utilities, etc.).

MaryL

oldmolly August 31st 03 10:04 PM

"John Moran" wrote in message
Very helpful thank you

If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
asked for them.

In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.

In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
come back with me :0(
Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
What is grim about either of them?
I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

---

DarkHills August 31st 03 10:40 PM

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:04:10 +0100, oldmolly wrote:

"John Moran" wrote in message
[...]

oldmolly:

What is true where you live, may not be where he lives. Conditions vary
all over the world. Where I live now, there are great "catteries" (we call
them vet shelters here).

Where I used to live was horrible. I'm just glad I had friends to take
care of my furry friends when I left for family visits while I lived there
- because the local places were horrible.

Sorry, but I had to give my two cents. One can't take one's fur-family
with them on such a vacation (that would be horrible for the furries); but
do you seriously expect someone to give up *all* of their lives for them
either?

Your comments strike me as having been sparked from jealousy. Well, I'm
not rich enough to take a around the world trip, but neither will I
begrudge anyone else their vacations. In the future please learn that not
everyone is like yourself, and it's pretty damned arrogant to expect them
to be. Learn some tolerance. If we lived in GB we would gladly watch his
cats for the time they need. Unfortunately, we're half a world away...

Just because someone can afford to take an extended vacation does not
mean they are heartless and cruel. I can't afford it, but I have relatives
who are world travelers, and they aren't like that at all. So stuff your
comment back where it came from.

Sorry, but that was a bull**** post, and you know it. I'll get off the
Anger Horse now. Isn't often that ignorance sparks it, but it did this
time.

John, good luck in finding someone. I haven't posted re your post before
this because I didn't know anyone who could help, and I didn't want to
waste your time. But this post lit my fuse :) - didn't qualify as a troll,
but someone needed some lecturing. Off the soapbox now...

Purrs from the family.

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]

Pet-Rescue August 31st 03 11:02 PM

John Moran
: Hope to hear from somebody

You could try the pet-rescue forums..leave your details there, you
never know?
http://www.pet-rescue.org.uk/forums

Anyway, best of luck, John!

--
Wendy :)

James August 31st 03 11:30 PM

oldmolly wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:

In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
come back with me :0(
Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
What is grim about either of them?

You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(

Not an option I'd recommend for John.
--
James

James August 31st 03 11:42 PM

John Moran wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
Hi there

We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
can't find a home for.

We were wondering if there was some kindly
soul - preferably in the south London area - who
would be willing to look after them while we are
away.

John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.

There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
have other cats around.
--
James

Katra August 31st 03 11:55 PM

James wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)

Have you thought about that James????

K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

DarkHills September 1st 03 12:20 AM

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:55:06 -0500, Katra wrote:

James wrote:

[...]

Just keep it affordable. Oh, wait, I'm preaching to the converted :)
Thank god for good friends who also love cats :)

*grins* and purrs from Kirby and Pookie

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
All trolls are promptly killfiled. You decide whether you want to talk.

DarkHills September 1st 03 12:22 AM

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:42:45 +0100, James wrote:

John Moran wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
Hi there

We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
can't find a home for.

We were wondering if there was some kindly
soul - preferably in the south London area - who
would be willing to look after them while we are
away.

John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.

There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
have other cats around.

I'll second this, it's an excellent idea if you can find someone.

I have cat-lover friends who will take my furries in if they need care.
They are some of my best friends.

OTOH you have to know it's someone you can trust. I'm lucky that way.

Lee Waun September 1st 03 06:23 AM

[...]

Very well put. I almost wish i could send my cats to a place like you just
described. It would be like a adventure playground for them. Alas I won't
let them out of my sight.

M.C. Mullen September 1st 03 12:24 PM

| Hi there
|
| We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
| and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
| can't find a home for.

| John,
|
| You didn't ask for other suggestions, but this occurred to me: Would it
be
| feasible to arrange for someone to stay in your house or apartment during
| the time you are gone in exchange for caring for your cats? Of course,
you
| may already have made other arrangements for your home -- but if not, this
| could be a "good deal" all around. You would have someone to take care of
| your cats and would not have a vacant home for 6 months (which is
sometimes
| an open invitation to burglars), the cats could stay in their own
| environment without having their lives disrupted, and the person who stays
| there could do so for minimal cost (utilities, etc.).

Would just *love* to spend half a year in London! But I have to work and
look after kids and pets. :-(
Guess you could try the local paper, and, of course, all your friends who
could ask all their friends.
In case you *have* to bring them to the cattery: For such a long time you
might be able to get a special price, especially if it's out of season.
Good luck.

Carola

M.C. Mullen September 1st 03 12:24 PM

~*SooZy*~ September 1st 03 02:13 PM

"James" wrote in message
[...]

I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming out of
London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats. Getting
a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.

oldmolly September 1st 03 06:13 PM

"DarkHills" wrote in message
Your comments strike me as having been sparked from jealousy.

Jealously about what????

Well, I'm
not rich enough to take a around the world trip, but neither will I
begrudge anyone else their vacations.

Me neither. I have travelled round the world, and lived in many different
countries from Saudi Arabia, to Canada.

In the future please learn that not
everyone is like yourself, and it's pretty damned arrogant to expect them
to be.

In future you would be well advised not to take things for granted and
assume things from people's posts.

Learn some tolerance.

Pot, kettle,black.

If we lived in GB we would gladly watch his
cats for the time they need. Unfortunately, we're half a world away...

Easy enough to make promises you will never be called upon to keep then eh?

Just because someone can afford to take an extended vacation does not
mean they are heartless and cruel.

Did I say they were???

I can't afford it, but I have relatives
who are world travelers, and they aren't like that at all.

And this is relevant to the OP in what way?

So stuff your
comment back where it came from.

Oops, your low class is showing there lovie.

Sorry, but that was a bull**** post, and you know it.

Of course. I recognise it from your own post.

I'll get off the
Anger Horse now. Isn't often that ignorance sparks it, but it did this
time.

You are an expert in it seemingly.

John, good luck in finding someone. I haven't posted re your post before
this because I didn't know anyone who could help, and I didn't want to
waste your time.

So you wasted everyone elses, bu posting your attack on my post.

But this post lit my fuse :) - didn't qualify as a troll,
but someone needed some lecturing.

I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just to
drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels the
need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and who
I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking your
oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer trash,
I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.

Off the soapbox now...
Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.

---

oldmolly September 1st 03 06:16 PM

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message
[...]

An hours drive would surely find somewhere affordable and nice? A 2 hour
drive would bring them to one of the catteries I mentioned.

---

Agua Girl September 1st 03 06:24 PM

"oldmolly" wrote in message
I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just

drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels

the
need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and

who
I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking

your
oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer

trash,
I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.

Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that first
off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else so
whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot with
ALL kinds of different types. I don't assume Bob Brenly is representative
of everyone from the UK..and I don't call him a "Brit" as some form of put
down. I am sure I know some knee jerk reactionist from whatever your
home country is but I am not so ignorant as to assume that you are just
like them. Maybe you should give up keeping animals and
go on a world cruise. Perhaps then you can put away your misconceptions
and learn that there are good and bad every where and generalizations like
you
are making are just plain stupid.

AG

~*SooZy*~ September 1st 03 07:30 PM

"oldmolly" wrote in message

"~*SooZy*~" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message
[...]

well I used to know of a Lady in blindleyheath Surrey who ran a very small
cattery, not that far from London, and its lovely... not sure if she is
still running it.
Croydon area Selsdon, which is in the borough of London also had a large
cattery, that's in the country side beside a bird sanctuary. There are loads
of catteries in surrey, not sure that is what he wants tho
London cover a very large area....