CatBanter

-   -   My Cat Keeps Pawing at his mouth =( (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=79887)

Riki-Lee May 5th 07 11:21 PM

My Cat Keeps Pawing at his mouth =(

I am desperately hoping someone can help me with my cat Spotty. Back in
February this year, Spotty was pawing at his mouth almost as if there was
something lodged in there, and tore his mouth up with his claws. I rushed him
to the 24 hour animal hospital where they said he seemed fine and sent me
home with a $200.00 bill and some clavamox and metacam medicine. After the
clavamox was finished (during the time he was taking it he was fine) 2 days
after it was out of his system he started pawing at his mouth again. I took
him to his regular vet who then insisted on having a tooth extraction saying
that was the problem and after that he would be fine. After surgery and a
$629.00 bill he would be on clavamox again for 14 days. He began to noticably
limp after his surgery which I passed off as it being from the IV tube.
During his healing time he was back to being my "little guy" when again after
2 days of finishing his clavamox he was pawing at his mouth again. I took him
back to the vet and he said he was pawing because of the stitches and I
thought he was right. I took spotty back home with some prescribed antirobe
liquid antibiotics and another $100.00 visit. All was fine through the time
he was medicated and even after he finished this medication until about 2
weeks ago when the pawing started again, not lasting for very long. I cut his
claws so that he couldnt do any damage to the inside of his mouth. I also
gave him some left over pain medication and then he was fine again until
yesterday with the biggest fit yet that I have ever saw. He wouldnt let me
cut his claws this time and he did some substantial damage to the inside of
his mouth and he seems to be limping more than ever before on the same leg as
before. I called the vet and all they could saw was they were stumped for now
and to bring him in for more testing. Please if anyone out there has any
information of what this could be please let me know. I can't afford to keep
having the vet do tests and it is really stressing Spotty out. Thanks in
advance.

mlbriggs May 5th 07 11:48 PM

On Sat, 05 May 2007 22:21:36 +0000, Riki-Lee wrote:

[...]

Is there a chance he could be eating bees or spiders? This was my first
thought. Then I wonder about an abscess that reoccurs. Whatever it is,
I hope you solve the problem quickly this time. God luck. MLB

bookie May 6th 07 12:10 AM

On 5 May, 23:21, "Riki-Lee" u33959@uwe wrote:
[...]

maybe some sort of tumour or similar developing onthe inside of his
mouth? can you taek him to a nother vet just for a second opinion?
your regular vet doesn;t seem to be up to the job.
one possibiilty is if there is swellign of the lip or tongue
particualrly, known as a ranula, and is casued by blockage of the
salivary glands and can also cause problem with eating. there si also
somethign called a 'rodent ulcer' a type of granuloma which can be
slow to grow and slow to heal too which could be causing this
behaviour as he is in discomfort. ths can betreated easily by a vet
but takes time and obviously the evt needs to have identified it first
(vets are human adn so fallible, yuor may not have spotted it?)

please get a second opinion and soon
bookie

Noon Cat Nick May 6th 07 01:52 AM

Riki-Lee wrote:

[...]

See http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20p...utilators.html. It
has the best information I know of regarding this self-mutilating
behavior in cats.

Riki-Lee May 6th 07 02:45 AM

My Cat Keeps Pawing at his mouth =(

Thanks for the website. The information seemed to be very helpful. I will
take him to a different vet for a second opinion with the information that
was provided. I am not sure if there are any other signs of stress. Although
every night maybe 3 or 4 times for about the last year, Spotty insists on
trying to wake me up by pawing at my face, not in a harsh way though just
enough to try to wake me up. I will give him attention and he will start
purring, but if I dose off again he will try to wake me up. He never use to
do this before, do you think that this could be stress related? Things in our
household dont seem to be different.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this so far. =)

cybercat May 6th 07 03:03 AM

"Riki-Lee" u33959@uwe wrote in message news:71bfa7aba902d@uwe...
Thanks for the website. The information seemed to be very helpful. I will
take him to a different vet for a second opinion with the information that
was provided. I am not sure if there are any other signs of stress.
Although
every night maybe 3 or 4 times for about the last year, Spotty insists on
trying to wake me up by pawing at my face, not in a harsh way though just
enough to try to wake me up. I will give him attention and he will start
purring, but if I dose off again he will try to wake me up. He never use
do this before, do you think that this could be stress related? Things in
our
household dont seem to be different.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this so far. =)

I wanted to say, get someone to hold him wrapped in a towel and you
can cut his claws. That should help a lot. The person holding him can
keep three feet in the towel and one hand at the side of his head so
he can't bite you. Then you cut just the tip of his claw, the sharp part.
We do our cats this way all the time.

Rhonda May 6th 07 04:08 AM

My Cat Keeps Pawing at his mouth =(

I'm glad you're getting a second opinion. Maybe ask an animal rescue
group or someone you trust for the name of a trusted vet. You might even
ask your vet for a referral to an internist vet.

If he stopped the pawing while on antibiotics only, I wouldn't think
it's stress related. It sounds like an infection in there somewhere,
maybe another tooth? It must really hurt. Have they taken an x-ray of
his head? Any blood tests to check for white blood cells?

Hope they can find it quickly.

Rhonda

Joe Canuck[_2_] May 6th 07 06:11 AM

bookie wrote:
[...]

"Tumour" appears to be your standard answer.

You must really like upsetting folks.

Joe Canuck[_2_] May 6th 07 06:15 AM

Riki-Lee wrote:
[...]

"Pawing because of the stitches" was a convenient and at the same time
likely right answer... but that still doesn't address the original issue
with this behavior.

Seek a second opinion.

sheelagh May 6th 07 05:48 PM

Riki-Lee wrote:
Thanks for the website. The information seemed to be very helpful. I will
take him to a different vet for a second opinion with the information that
was provided. I am not sure if there are any other signs of stress. Although
every night maybe 3 or 4 times for about the last year, Spotty insists on
trying to wake me up by pawing at my face, not in a harsh way though just
enough to try to wake me up. I will give him attention and he will start
purring, but if I dose off again he will try to wake me up. He never use to
do this before, do you think that this could be stress related? Things in our
household dont seem to be different.
Thank you to everyone who has replied to this so far. =)- Hide quoted text -

I agree with this action entirely.

Please don't feel that you are being rude to your vet by asking him if
he thinks a second opinion might be the next best step. He is there to
address any problems that your cat has, & if he has no answers, I am
sure that he will be only too pleased to do exactly that. I am certain
that he will want what is best for your cat too.
I wish you good luck, & ask if you wouldn't mind letting us know how
things are progressing for him in the future.
Best Wishes,
S;o)