CatBanter

-   -   OT - Fireworks? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=105447)

[email protected] July 5th 11 07:26 AM

OT - Fireworks?

hopitus wrote:

On Jul 3, 4:33*pm, Yowie wrote:
On 4/07/2011 1:03 AM, CatNipped wrote:

*wrote in message
On 3/07/2011 8:47 AM, CatNipped wrote:
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place of such history -
any longer than a couple of centuries' worth.

You, like I, live in a country with many thousands of years of human
history. Its just not Western history.

Yowie

Got me there! *; * And it's more an oral history than a written one. *And
seeing that I'm part native American I shouldn't have made that gaff to
being with!shame faced

You are a smart chickadee - how about finding out more about that NA
part of yourself?

Yowie

I can see that neither Lori nor Evelyn have clubbed in any raves
lately. There
are some up-to-the-minute stuff you just can't google up the right
answer to, LOL.
Did you get rid of your lurge, Yowie?

Are you saying you go to raves?

Joyce

[email protected] July 5th 11 07:28 AM

OT - Fireworks?

Joy wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in message
On 3/07/2011 8:47 AM, CatNipped wrote:
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place of such history -
any longer than a couple of centuries' worth.

You, like I, live in a country with many thousands of years of human
history. Its just not Western history.

Yowie

Actually, your human history goes back much further than ours, as far as
anyone knows so far. The Aboriginal people of Australia are by far the
oldest group of people known on earth.

Then why do most evolutionary scientists and archeologists seem to agree
that the human species emerged in Africa?

Joyce

Joy July 5th 11 08:04 AM

OT - Fireworks?

wrote in message
Joy wrote:

"Yowie" wrote in message
On 3/07/2011 8:47 AM, CatNipped wrote:
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a place of such
history -
any longer than a couple of centuries' worth.

You, like I, live in a country with many thousands of years of human
history. Its just not Western history.

Yowie

Actually, your human history goes back much further than ours, as far as
anyone knows so far. The Aboriginal people of Australia are by far the
oldest group of people known on earth.

Then why do most evolutionary scientists and archeologists seem to agree
that the human species emerged in Africa?

Joyce

I have no idea. I do know that Australian Aboriginal people have been
traced back at least 40,000 years. Also, I play a daily quiz game, and one
of the questions the other day was, "On which continent do the oldest known
peoples live?" - or something like that. The answer was Australia.

Joy

Cheryl[_5_] July 5th 11 12:23 PM

OT - Fireworks?

On 2011-07-05 4:34 AM, Joy wrote:
wrote in message
Joy wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

It could work both ways - they could be the currently-existing group
that can be traced back the furthest, and also, if you could go back
beyond evidence of their culture in Australia, be traced genetically
back to Mitochondrial Eve in Africa.

With all due respect to various oral histories, I like reading about the
past, and reading what people in the past have written about themselves
and their times. While various aboriginal populations have a very
lengthy history in various areas, all that's available to me of, say,
pre-European North American peoples is some very late (ie post-contact)
records of what their (usually) oral history was and some archeological
evidence of how and where they lived. My interest in that is more
limited; I don't get the feeling I can begin to understand the people in
the past as I can with written records.

--
Cheryl

Adrian[_2_] July 5th 11 12:31 PM

OT - Fireworks?

"Joy" wrote:
wrote in message

I have no idea. I do know that Australian Aboriginal people have been

traced back at least 40,000 years. Also, I play a daily quiz game,
and one
of the questions the other day was, "On which continent do the oldest
known
peoples live?" - or something like that. The answer was Australia.

Joy

They may be the oldest known people humans have been around longer than
the 40,000 years than they've been in Australia.

--
Adrian

Wayne Mitchell July 5th 11 01:16 PM

OT - Fireworks?

wrote:

We hear about these crimes all the time now, but does that
really mean they happen significantly more than they used to,
when we believed it was safe - or safe enough to allow your
kids a reasonable amount of freedom?

Even if we could show that such incidences were on the increase, it
would not follow that our children are significantly less safe. If the
number of abductions and attacks by strangers were to double, that would
mean that instead of having to be out there for 500,000 years in order
to have an even chance of being victimized, a child would now only have
to be out there for 250,000 years.
--

Wayne M.

john sumner[_12_] July 5th 11 03:11 PM

OT - Fireworks?

"Yowie" wrote in
:

We (Australia) have an entirely different voting system to yours.
First of all, all citizens here HAVE to vote, you will be fined if you
don't. Second, we have a preferential system where you can vote for
all the minor parties you like as a protest, and yet *still* express
your preference for one of the two major parties. And the added
sweetner for voting for minor parties is that a) they often end up
holding the balance of power and are therefore far more influential -
as a seat - than one seat from either of the two major parties and b)
if they get over a small percentage of the vote (I think its 1%, coudl
be wrong on that), they get their application-to-run-for-parliament
fee (about $500) back. Our Prime Minister is the head of the party
that got the majority of seats in the lower house, or, its a minority
governement, the leader of the party with the most number of seats in
the minority government. The populace doesn't directly elect the PM.

Yowie

Yowie what would happen if you refused to vote or pay the fine? would
they throw you in jail.

CatNipped[_5_] July 5th 11 07:27 PM

OT - Fireworks?

We went to the MNH to see the oldest human, the so-called "missing link",
"Lucy". They found her in Australia.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) July 5th 11 08:56 PM

OT - Fireworks?

Wayne Mitchell wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

What about the "practical worth" of NOT voting? Care to share
you views about that?

Happy to -- especially since I often run into the attitude that a
decision to not vote must somehow always be unprincipled.

(The following is necessarily US-centric.)

In our two-party system, when I am offered as electable candidates only
Mr. Dog-**** and Ms. Cat-****, neither of which is morally fit for any
office or position of authority whatsoever, what do I accomplish by
voting for the one I consider the lesser evil? One, I compromise my
integrity by supporting for office someone I know to be unfit. Two, if
my candidate is elected, I take on a tiny portion of the responsibility
for the evil things that person will assuredly do while in office.
Three, I give aid and comfort to the enemy, who will certainly count my
vote as an expression of approval, however little I may intend it as
such. And four, I actively support the pernicious system which provides
these corrupt individuals their opportunity to acquire power.

Far better not to vote at all. What if they held an election and nobody
came?

Ever hear of a "write-in vote"? True, third party candidates in this
country don't usually do too well (although Lincoln did okay), but if
they attract enough votes, sometimes their policies get noticed and
adopted by the major parties. I don't advocate anything silly (like
voting for Mickey Mouse) but there usually ARE would-be candidates whose
views may be closer to yours than the "official" candidates.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) July 5th 11 09:00 PM

OT - Fireworks?

CatNipped wrote:
We're still allowed write-in votes, and there's the Libertarian party and
others. If enough people would get off their keisters and vote for these,
we might get this "2 party" system out of power and out on their asses where
they belong.

My point exactly. It's true, your write-in candidate may not win the
election (although stranger things have happened), but if enough people
express an opinion that does not favor either party, maybe the
powers-that-be will get the message!