CatBanter

-   -   newly diagnosed (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=75813)

gwpelton November 6th 06 01:05 AM

newly diagnosed

Hi,
My cat Nemo was just diagnosed with CRF. His numbers were all completly
normal with the exception of the BUN, which was only 12 points about normal.
I am feeding him pretty much whatever he wants for now but he doesn't seem to
want to eat and he isn't drinking much water. Otherwise he acts fine. I am
bringing him in every week for sub-q's to try and lower the BUN.
Are there other cats that have such a low number? How did you get your cats
to eat? And Drink? A couple years ago I had another CRF cat, but he went
downhill very fast and was gone within a week. So I didn't get a lot of
experience in how to deal with this.
Any help you can give me would be great.
Thank you

Gail November 6th 06 01:46 AM

newly diagnosed

There are support groups on Yahoo for those caring for CRF cats. Just google
it. You can do the Sub Q fluids yourself. It is not difficult. He is
probably not eating due to nausea. You should discuss this with your vet.
Not eating or drinking is a very serious problem and must be resolved
quickly.
Gail

blkcatgal November 6th 06 05:50 AM

newly diagnosed

You should join the Yahoo CRF group...groups.yahoo.com. There are lots of
helpful people there who can give you lots of help and support. I had a CRF
kitty that lived for 7 years after first "diagnosed." Good luck.

Sue