CatBanter

-   -   How do you use catnip? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=30072)

Newbie August 5th 05 05:34 AM

How do you use catnip?

I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

Beth August 5th 05 05:41 AM

"Newbie" wrote in message
I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

Well, I used it to attract mine to the kitty condo and bookshelf play things
I got her. It says you can put it in food to help with digestion since they
don't get herbs and such if they are indoor kitties. You can put it in toys
so they'll be attracted. but, my cat went insane the first time she had it.
I mean, she was trying to get it out of the grocery bag and rip it open.
She then rubbed herself all over the toys I put it on. but after that...she
just looks at me like "yeah...what's that?" when I've tried to give it to
her again. I've used different kinds and then waited for a few months
before trying again. she doesn't like it at all anymore. So, keep that in
mind. Some cats lose their attraction to it.

Beth

[email protected] August 5th 05 05:49 AM

Newbie wrote:
I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

We usually just use catnip for play, but it won't hurt them to eat it,
either. You can tie some in the end of a sock--mine love that. I also
keep a quart jar 1/2 full of catnip, and put their small toys in it and
let them marinate. I've made "purr pads" for the shelter cats, those
are fun. Just take two large squares of fabric, put batting between
them & liberally sprinkle the batting with catnip, and sew it up.

Sherry

Kitkat August 5th 05 06:28 AM

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Newbie wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do
you use it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract
them to food they don't otherwise find appealing?

With previous cats it has always been used in small quantities (less
than a teaspoon dried) at play. But now I have a Siamese, a breed
which is supposedly known for not being attracted to catnip.

Dudley loves catnip. He REALLY loves the catnip banana.

http://public.fotki.com/kitkatluna/m.../dscf0030.html

:)

-L. August 5th 05 07:06 AM

Newbie wrote:
I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

I wouldn't. It get cats high. I use it as a treat - just a pinch on
the floor at night once a week or so - they get all goofy and play and
fight afterwards. :)

-L.

Gary Stone August 5th 05 07:57 AM

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Newbie wrote:
I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

I wouldn't. It get cats high. I use it as a treat - just a pinch on
the floor at night once a week or so - they get all goofy and play and
fight afterwards. :)

-L.

My cats eat it then chill, lay back and enjoy the buzz.

Stone
Some pic's http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stoneman72/my_photos

L Sternn August 5th 05 08:14 AM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 04:34:55 GMT, Newbie wrote:

I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

Leave a bong and a lighter out - if your cat digs it, he or she will
figure it out.

Personally, I'm trying to keep my cat off drugs.

The other day though, she grabbed a small bag of weed and pranced off
with it as if she'd just found the Hope Diamond or something.
Needless to say she didn't get far - she's too young for that stuff
anyway.

rpl August 5th 05 08:37 AM

Newbie wrote:
I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

training cats to use the scratching post; rub some on every day for a
few days.

pat

IBen Getiner August 5th 05 11:20 AM

That **** causes chromosome and brain damage. So I hear-tell.

Shawn Hirn August 5th 05 11:26 AM

In article , Newbie
wrote:

I have heard a lot about cats liking catnip, but how exactly do you use
it in practice? Can it be used as food additive to attract them to food
they don't otherwise find appealing?

I just buy cat toys that are stuffed with catnip. I "use" the toys the
same as any other cat toy by putting the toy down on the floor for my
cat to play with.