CatBanter

-   -   Frontline bad? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89719)

Robotech_Master July 11th 08 01:40 AM

Frontline bad?

Perhaps Phil can chime in on this.

I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
claims regarding Frontline.

http://www.cedarcidestore.citymax.co...88/3194699.htm

Of course, it is trying to sell its own "use me instead" product. But
I can't help but wonder, is there anything to this?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm

Janet Boss July 11th 08 01:43 AM

Frontline bad?

In article ,
Robotech_Master wrote:

I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
claims regarding Frontline.

didn't check the link, but unless I had problems, I won't put poison on
my pets.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Matthew[_3_] July 11th 08 01:46 AM

Frontline bad?

I would not believe that is someone paid me to say so

g...

Robotech_Master July 11th 08 01:48 AM

Frontline bad?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:43:55 -0400, Janet Boss wrote:

didn't check the link, but unless I had problems, I won't put poison on
my pets.

I've had severe flea problems around here, culminating in my cat
getting anemia and ending up dying from it (plus pancreatitis). As
one of my new cats will be an indoor-plus-outdoor-on-leash cat, I'm a
little worried.

Janet Boss July 11th 08 01:51 AM

Frontline bad?

In article ,
Robotech_Master wrote:

I've had severe flea problems around here, culminating in my cat
getting anemia and ending up dying from it (plus pancreatitis). As
one of my new cats will be an indoor-plus-outdoor-on-leash cat, I'm a
little worried.

I've always felt that overall health, along with home environment, make
a big difference. I live in the Mid-Atlantic. My dogs go a LOT of
places. Cats are indoors and maybe on patio or deck. I can't remember
the last time I saw a flea. I don't use any product.

cshenk July 11th 08 01:57 AM

Frontline bad?

"Robotech_Master" wrote

I've had severe flea problems around here, culminating in my cat
getting anemia and ending up dying from it (plus pancreatitis). As
one of my new cats will be an indoor-plus-outdoor-on-leash cat, I'm a
little worried.

Some areas are really more flea prone than others. I too live in an area
where they are endemic and can cause what you had. Try 'Advantage' which
also has a version for cats that prevents heartworms. Pretty much you have
to have an exam amd a prescription but it works realy well and isnt all that
expensive.

Aviod Hartz please.

Robotech_Master July 11th 08 01:59 AM

Frontline bad?

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:57:52 -0400, cshenk wrote:

Some areas are really more flea prone than others. I too live in
an area where they are endemic and can cause what you had. Try
'Advantage' which also has a version for cats that prevents
heartworms.

Well, the article (to which that page links) implicates Advantage,
too.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf

This sounds pretty darned scary.

cshenk July 11th 08 02:10 AM

Frontline bad?

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message

Some areas are really more flea prone than others. I too live in
an area where they are endemic and can cause what you had. Try
'Advantage' which also has a version for cats that prevents
heartworms.

Well, the article (to which that page links) implicates Advantage,
too.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf

This sounds pretty darned scary.

I scanned the article and it seemed a rant for 'being green'. Well
intentioned I am sure but if you live in an area where fleas can be so bad,
your cat dies from the complications, they are not apt to be of much use.

I have some home remedies that others have sent, but I do not find them
workable here. A bit of vinegar in the water is supposed to help (in my
case, cat will not drink it). One that does work but kills only adult fleas
is a shampoo with 'head-n-shoulders' (martial art of cat bathing not
recommended but sometimes it's ben so severe we had no choice).

Phil P. July 11th 08 10:11 AM

Frontline bad?

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
g...
Perhaps Phil can chime in on this.

I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
claims regarding Frontline.

http://www.cedarcidestore.citymax.co...88/3194699.htm

Of course, it is trying to sell its own "use me instead" product. But
I can't help but wonder, is there anything to this?

First off- you really shouldn't buy any meds on eBay-especially high-price
flea products- or from any online source that isn't an authorized dealer.
The internet is flooded with counterfeits whose packaging are
indistinguishable from the real thing. At best counterfeits aren't
effective; at worst they could be highly toxic. Also, even if the meds are
the real thing, improper storage/handling can reduce their effectiveness.
Buy your meds from your vet. If you ever have a problem at least you'll have
some recourse and documentation.

About the article- sounds like an "au naturel cult" scare tactic to me.
They'll tell you aspirin can kill you... If I were you, I'd take it with a
large grain of salt.