CatBanter

-   -   Indoor cats and declawing (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=28361)

[email protected] June 20th 05 01:30 PM

Indoor cats and declawing

With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing until
I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know, in the UK.
Also, we rarely keep our cats inside. It sounds barbaric to me, to pull
the claws out of a cat, it would be like having your
fingernails pulled out!

Phil P. June 20th 05 01:51 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing until
I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know, in the UK.
Also, we rarely keep our cats inside. It sounds barbaric to me, to pull
the claws out of a cat, it would be like having your
fingernails pulled out!

Having your fingernails pulled out tickles compared to declawing. A cat's
claw is not a nail as is a human fingernail, its part of the last bone
(distal phalanx) in the cat's toe. Declawing involves 10, separate
amputations of entire distal phalanx is the at the joint.

http://www.maxshouse.com/facts_about_declawing.htm

[email protected] June 20th 05 02:05 PM

Then it is disgusting that this is allowed. Why are the vets allowed
to do this?

John Doe June 20th 05 02:36 PM

wrote:

With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing
until I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know,
in the UK. Also, we rarely keep our cats inside.

Hopefully you at least have them fixed and vaccinated.

It sounds barbaric to me, to pull the claws out of a cat, it
would be like having your fingernails pulled out!

More like having your fingers pulled off. I am not a bleeding
heart, my opinion comes from learning about the creatures. With
enough observation, you can see that cats use their claws like we
use our fingers. Cats need claws for many things.

.... hunting

.... self defense -- climbing

.... exercise -- climbing

.... play

They exercise their whole upper body with the help of their claws.

Also, clipping an aggressor's claws can help manage multiple cats.
If they don't have claws, they can still bite.

Good luck.

[email protected] June 20th 05 02:49 PM

John Doe wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Then what would the torturer do, pull their teeth out?????

I just read that link that Phil gave to declawing, and it made me
feel physically sick just reading it. It is just plain cruelty. Cant
something be done to stop it?

Good luck.

[email protected] June 20th 05 02:52 PM

John Doe wrote:
wrote:

With the risk of starting a war, I had not heard of declawing
until I came on this site, we do not do this, as far as I know,
in the UK. Also, we rarely keep our cats inside.

Hopefully you at least have them fixed and vaccinated.

But of course! Vaccinated yearly and fixed only once!!

Phil P. June 20th 05 02:57 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Then it is disgusting that this is allowed. Why are the vets allowed
to do this?

Because pretentious politicians with their ostentatious furniture and
carpeting support declawing, and the vets that declaw support them.

Monique Y. Mudama June 20th 05 03:00 PM

On 2005-06-20, penned:
Then it is disgusting that this is allowed. Why are the vets
allowed to do this?

Too much money at stake. For some reason, a lot of people here think
declawing is okay. I suspect a lot of them have absolutely no idea
what they're doing to the cat.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

pictures:
http://www.bounceswoosh.org/rpca

[email protected] June 20th 05 03:09 PM

On 2005-06-20, penned:
Then it is disgusting that this is allowed. Why are the vets
allowed to do this?

Too much money at stake. For some reason, a lot of people here think
declawing is okay. I suspect a lot of them have absolutely no idea
what they're doing to the cat.

Then please let them read that link that Phil gave, nobody who had
an ounce of decency, would put their cat through that.

[email protected] June 20th 05 03:15 PM

I too had never heard of it in the UK. Although the scratched
furniture is a pain, if you get a cat you should expect it and of
course there are things you can do to minimise it. Mine goes out in
the garden for a sunbathe and a little wander, doesn't climb over the
fences (he was an indoor cat til he was 14 and I moved to a house) -
then comes back in for a scratch and a pee! I think it's obscene some
of the things people do to animals for their own amusement/convenience.