CatBanter

-   -   looking for a new litter (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12150)

PawsForThought July 10th 03 01:06 PM

From: "Cathy Friedmann"

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
From: "Cathy Friedmann"

I find little dust w/ the WBCL, but am now (wondering if the newer

formula
is the culprit?)

I use Swheat Scoop and a woman who works for the company told me to mix a

1/4
teaspoon of vegetable oil into the litter in the box. She said to stir it
really good and that will help with any dust. I haven't tried it yet,

just
wonder if anyone else has heard of doing that. Maybe it would work with

the
WBCL?

Lauren

One quarter cup isn't much, but still I wonder if any oily footprints would
show up around the house - on upholstery it could be a problem.

I don't have a dust problem w/ the WBCL, just a tracking & sticking to their
butts (which transfers to other surfaces) problem.

Cathy

No, it's 1/4 teaspoon, not a cup. But you have raised a good point about
possibly leaving greasy footprints. What I do for tracking is I bought one of
those green plastic door mats that look like grass at a K-mart and I put it
outside the box. It does a fairly decent job of catching the litter.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

PawsForThought July 10th 03 01:08 PM

From: Laura R.

PawsForThought ) said,
I find little dust w/ the WBCL, but am now (wondering if the newer formula
is the culprit?)

I use Swheat Scoop and a woman who works for the company told me to mix a

1/4
teaspoon of vegetable oil into the litter in the box. She said to stir it
really good and that will help with any dust. I haven't tried it yet, just
wonder if anyone else has heard of doing that. Maybe it would work with

the
WBCL?

Why not just use a cooking oil spray instead of doing all that
mixing?

Laura

Maybe because you wouldn't be able to measure it accurately and end up with too
much oil? I do know though that they recommend spraying the box itself with
the cooking oil spray to keep the litter from sticking to the box.
________

Cathy Friedmann July 10th 03 01:37 PM

"Laura R." wrote in message
.net...
circa Wed, 9 Jul 2003 21:28:42 -0400, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Cathy Friedmann ) said,

I use Swheat Scoop and a woman who works for the company told me to

mix a
1/4
teaspoon of vegetable oil into the litter in the box. She said to

stir it
really good and that will help with any dust. I haven't tried it yet,

just
wonder if anyone else has heard of doing that. Maybe it would work

with
the
WBCL?

Lauren

One quarter cup isn't much, but still I wonder if any oily footprints

would
show up around the house - on upholstery it could be a problem.

Since you're only supposed to use 1/4 *teaspoon*, I'm thinking it
wouldn't be an issue. ;-)

Laura

Oh, d'uh! I have no idea why I 'read' one-quarter cup. And I read it
twice, & still saw "cup" both times.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Bill July 10th 03 04:17 PM

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
Bill , with thought and calculation, said
in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I've used Scoop Away and haven't noticed tracking.

Recently I switched to a new litter called (I believe) Swheat
Scoop, which is a wheat-based clumping litter. It seems to absorb
litter box odors about as well as the Scoop Away, but without the
perfume-ie smell. I haven't noticed any tracking with this litter
either.

Both litters seem to produce less dust than others I've used.

Bill

How do you like that? I had been using Scoop Away, but since Kami was
diagnosed with asthma, I stopped because it was dusty and the fragrance
would aggravate her. I tried Arm * Hammer, but it's not much different
even though there's no fragrance. The thing with her tear ducts
started after that so then I switched to PaPurr. It seems to have
fragrance, too, but it's definitely not as dusty and she hasn't had a
coughing fit for a while (though the tear ducts things is off and on).
The only other one I see consistently available with Swheat Scoop. All
I would need then if for her to develop a wheat allergy. LOL!

--
Brandy Alexandre®
http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

I like the Swheat Scoop, so I'll probably keep using it. I haven't tried
the Arm&Hammer, but Swheat Scoop performs about the same as the unscented
Scoop Away.

The only fragrance I can detect with the Swheat Scoop smells vaguely like
bread.

Bill

Karen M. July 10th 03 07:33 PM

From: Laura R.

PawsForThought ) said,
[...]

So that's the secret to the Swheat Scoop! I swear sometimes it was
like prying a rock apart trying to get the clumps from the litter box.
I just started using a scoop litter called PaPurr Scoop litter, made
from recycled paper. Very little dust and don't see much litter
scatter in the basement. (God bless basements for putting cat boxes
in!) :) It clumps well too!

Karen

Karen M. July 10th 03 07:33 PM

From: Laura R.

PawsForThought ) said,

PawsForThought July 10th 03 09:05 PM

From: (Karen M.)

From: Laura R.

PawsForThought ) said,
[...]

Hi Karen! :)
Yep, that's the secret for non-stick box, or what I do is use one of those
heavy duty black garbage bags and stick the box inside. Then I use a twist tie
to close up one end and that's how I get a litterbox liner and the Swheat Scoop
doesn't stick. Then when I change the box, I turn the bag inside out while
carefully pulling out the litterbox and then just toss the garbage bag.

Lauren
________