CatBanter

-   -   two year old starting to hiss (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12655)

Ditch August 13th 03 10:03 PM

two year old starting to hiss

I have 5 cats. Started with two, but got to the boy kitty a day to late.
Anyway, Tigercat, the father, has just recently started to hiss at all the
other cats when they get within about 5 feet from him. He has been with these
cats since they were born and (to my knowledge) has never done this before. It
started about 3 days ago. Nothing big has happened (recent move or trip to vet
or anything).
They are indoor cats. Any thoughts?

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

PawsForThought August 14th 03 03:00 AM

From: ost (Ditch)

Anyway, Tigercat, the father, has just recently started to hiss at all the
other cats when they get within about 5 feet from him. He has been with these
cats since they were born and (to my knowledge) has never done this before.
It
started about 3 days ago. Nothing big has happened (recent move or trip to
vet
or anything).
They are indoor cats. Any thoughts?

It might be misplaced aggression. This can happen when let's say your cats are
looking out the window and see a strange cat. Instead of taking out the
aggression on the strange cat, they may take it out on the cat or cats that are
nearby. This is one possibility. Also, if he's not feeling well,, he might
hiss at the others. You might want to have him checked out if it continues.
Another thing to try is some feliway. I've never used it but I've heard others
say it can work for aggression. Good luck.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Ditch August 14th 03 06:30 AM

It might be misplaced aggression. This can happen when let's say your cats
are
looking out the window and see a strange cat. Instead of taking out the
aggression on the strange cat, they may take it out on the cat or cats that
are
nearby. This is one possibility. Also, if he's not feeling well,, he might
hiss at the others. You might want to have him checked out if it continues.
Another thing to try is some feliway. I've never used it but I've heard
others
say it can work for aggression. Good luck.

Lauren

Thanks for some info.
Tonight, during dinner time for the kitties, he ran into the kitchen with the
rest until he realized he was surrounded. Let out with a hiss and ran to his
favorite hiding place (on a chair seat, under the kitchen table). I gave him
his normal food and he ate it just fine. He just has been really anti-social
with the other cats.
He is fine around me and my wife.
If it keeps up, I will take him to the vet to see if anything is wrong. He is
not showing "usual" cat sickness signs (loss of appetite, weight loss,
etc...).