CatBanter

-   -   Litter box in unsuitable place.... (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=97556)

Debbie[_4_] October 4th 09 01:58 AM

Litter box in unsuitable place....

We have a litter box behind our wet bar. Cats were previously
relieving themselves back there, so we put the litter box
there. However, this is a tight space, hard for us to get to to clean
it, etc. How can we get them to stop going back there? We've tried
gradually moving the box, but they continue going back there.

--
http://www.pleasedtomeetu.com
the date doctor is in!

FirstHit October 4th 09 03:10 AM

On Oct 3, 5:58*pm, Debbie wrote:
We have a litter box behind our wet bar. *Cats were previously
relieving themselves back there, so we put the litter box
there. *However, this is a tight space, hard for us to get to to clean
it, etc. *How can we get them to stop going back there? *We've tried
gradually moving the box, but they continue going back there.

--http://www.pleasedtomeetu.com
the date doctor is in!

You might want to try putting food there. Cats generally won't
perform elimination duties where they eat.

FirstHit

cybercat October 4th 09 03:16 AM

"Debbie" wrote in message
We have a litter box behind our wet bar. Cats were previously
relieving themselves back there, so we put the litter box
there. However, this is a tight space, hard for us to get to to clean
it, etc. How can we get them to stop going back there? We've tried
gradually moving the box, but they continue going back there.

Use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle (the enzymes actually eat up
the pee) following the directions on the bottle, then steam clean and do it
again. (I am assuming this is carpet? How many cats do you have?

Kelly Greene October 4th 09 11:38 PM

"Debbie" wrote in message
We have a litter box behind our wet bar. Cats were previously
relieving themselves back there, so we put the litter box
there. However, this is a tight space, hard for us to get to to clean
it, etc. How can we get them to stop going back there? We've tried
gradually moving the box, but they continue going back there.

--
http://www.pleasedtomeetu.com
the date doctor is in!

You can try cleaning the area very well and putting empty boxes (or add a
mothball or two to the boxes) to prevent them from getting to the area. Once
they're using their litter pan elsewhere, remove the boxes and see what
happens.
--
Kelly..........
If you're a past or present resident of

Rene S October 5th 09 02:45 PM

Litter box in unsuitable place....

First, thoroughly clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner. If there's
carpeting back there, you may need to remove it. Be generous with the
amount of cleaner you use--it needs to be soaked.

Next how many boxes do you have? Minimum is one per cat + 1 more. Try
putting boxes in other locations. If there's another location they
prefer, they won't use the box behind the bar.

If all else fails, just leave the box there. IMO, it's better to
squeeze in there and scoop it than to deal with urine-soaked carpets/
rugs.