CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Meaning of tortie, tabby, calico? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=20939)

Ablang December 8th 03 03:38 AM

Meaning of tortie, tabby, calico?

Does anyone know what these terms mean? Only thing I know is that
these are not names of cat breeds.

--
My cat's job is to look pretty, smell good, sleep, eat, pee, & poop, in
that order.

MaryL December 8th 03 04:15 AM

"Ablang" wrote in message
Does anyone know what these terms mean? Only thing I know is that
these are not names of cat breeds.

--
My cat's job is to look pretty, smell good, sleep, eat, pee, & poop, in
that order.

As part of your cat's, job: don't forget purr and play.

Concerning cat colors, here are two links that might interest you. The
first one includes a general description of colors. The second link refers
primarily to purebreds, but you can click on the name and go to a site where
you can see a picture of a cat that fits the description.

http://petcaretips.net/cat_colors.html
http://www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=4513

MaryL

Judy December 8th 03 04:33 AM

"Ablang" wrote in message
Does anyone know what these terms mean? Only thing I know is that
these are not names of cat breeds.

--
My cat's job is to look pretty, smell good, sleep, eat, pee, & poop, in
that order.

These terms describe colour.

A Tortie has mixes of black, orange and beige.

A Calico has a lot of white, some black and orange.

A Tabby has mostly grey and black markings.

kaeli December 8th 03 02:50 PM

In article ,
enlightened us with...

"Ablang" wrote in message
Does anyone know what these terms mean? Only thing I know is that
these are not names of cat breeds.

--
My cat's job is to look pretty, smell good, sleep, eat, pee, & poop, in
that order.

These terms describe colour.

A Tortie has mixes of black, orange and beige.

A tortie has no patches and may have white, but more often does not. The
colors are mixed, not distinct.
A dilute tortie has grey, blue, and tan instead of black, orange, and
beige.

A Calico has a lot of white, some black and orange.

A calico has patches, not all mixed like the tortie. It may have white,
but doesn't have to.
A dilute calico has grey, blue, and tan sometimes with white.

A Tabby has mostly grey and black markings.

A tabby has stripes or swirls and may be orange, orange and tan, grey
and black, or grey, black, and tan, and may have some white, especially
in the belly and chest. True tabbies have a distinct "M" marking in
black on their foreheads and characteristic "tear" markings. Tabbies may
also come in a mix of tabby and tortie, called a torbie, which has less
distict markings and a swirls of tortie colors.

All calicos and torties are female or sterile males with double x
chromosomes.

~kaeli~
In democracy your vote counts. In feudalism your count votes.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

ParrotRob December 10th 03 05:54 AM

"Ablang" wrote in message
Does anyone know what these terms mean? Only thing I know is that
these are not names of cat breeds.

They are color and marking pattern terms. Tabby is a pattern, not a color.
Tabbies can be any of a number of colors, and are usually described as
such - for instance "red tabby", "blue tabby", "brown tabby", etc. There
are also several different types of tabby pattern (classic, mackeral,
spotted, etc), but in general, a tabby is striped and will usually have a
distinct "M" shaped marking above and between the eyes. I have a red
mackeral tabby and a beautiful blue classic tabby.

Both torties (short for toroiseshell) and calicos are terms for tricolor
cats. Tricolor cats have orange (red), black (or brown) and white
colorings. If they carry a certain (dilute) gene, they can also have the
"diluted" forms of these colors (cream, blue, chocolate, etc). The
difference is that in torties, the colors all tend to blend together.
Torties are usually primarily dark with "splotches" of red/orange/white on
them. Calicos, on the other hand, have distinct separation between the
colors and usually larger patches of white.

There's a more detailed explanation at
http://www.fanciers.com/other-faqs/colors.html and
http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.html with an interesting
discussion on why tricolors are almost always female as well.

Hope that helps.

Cat Protector December 10th 03 07:35 AM

You also forget Diluted Tabbies as well. Most often you will find their
tiger striped patterns a little lighter.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"ParrotRob" wrote in message
t...