CatBanter

-   -   Wild Minks in South Carolina (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113425)

jmcquown[_2_] February 20th 17 04:04 PM

Wild Minks in South Carolina

In the last week there have been a number of sightings of wild minks on
the island where I live. I've lived here for nine years and had no idea
minks were indigenous critters. Alligators, snakes, raccoons,
oppossums, river otters, marsh rats (tiny little benign creatures) yes.
Minks, nope!

Minks are related to weasels. They are apparently beautiful but they
are also very vicious. They'll kill and eat any small prey. That
includes cats.

There have been several emails to residents on the island where I live
urging people not to let cats go outside.

I realize this is a somewhat contentuous issue with some RPCA members
who don't live in the US and don't have the same types of predators. I,
for one, see no reason for cats to roam around outside.

At any rate, the wild mink population is up. The sightings sparked
several people to urge folks not to let their cats run around outside.
Especially not if they live near water or marshes (apparently minks like
fish but they'll also kill pretty much any mammal when hunting for food,
and that includes cats).

It's odd I've lived here all this time and had no idea minks were
indigenous to this area.

Jill

Jack Campin February 21st 17 12:43 AM

jmcquown wrote:
In the last week there have been a number of sightings of wild minks
on the island where I live. [...]
Minks are related to weasels. They are apparently beautiful but they
are also very vicious. They'll kill and eat any small prey. That
includes cats.

Minks are a pest in England (introduced by fur farmers and escaped)
though largely under control now. They don't have a very attractive
reputation, but I hadn't heard of them killing cats before. (Looking
it up, I see that I should have done).

jmcquown[_2_] February 21st 17 01:55 AM

On 2/20/2017 7:43 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
In the last week there have been a number of sightings of wild minks
on the island where I live. [...]
Minks are related to weasels. They are apparently beautiful but they
are also very vicious. They'll kill and eat any small prey. That
includes cats.

Minks are a pest in England (introduced by fur farmers and escaped)
though largely under control now. They don't have a very attractive
reputation, but I hadn't heard of them killing cats before. (Looking
it up, I see that I should have done).

I was completely surprised to learn minks live in South Carolina, much
less on this very small island! Apparently the mink population is
increasing.

And yes, minks are strong enough to attack and kill cats.

Another threat to the cats roaming where I live: large birds of prey.
Bald eagles, Cooper's and Red or Sharp Shinned Hawks, and some owls.
They're all capable of snatching up a small cat... these birds have
excellent eyesight.

Jill