CatBanter

-   -   (OT) Rant Mom's Estate - a Cautionary Tale (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=97991)

jmcquown[_2_] October 31st 09 10:40 AM

(OT) Rant Mom's Estate - a Cautionary Tale

It's almost done. I got notification from the Probate Court stating as far
as they are concerned the estate is settled. So I met with a guy at H&R
Block last Thursday to work on her final tax form (Form 1041). That's going
to cost me $300. The process seems a little backwards to me; seems like
that should be paid by the estate. But the monies from the estate have
already been distributed. That had to be done before the Probate Court
would say it was settled, and this form can't be filed until after the
Probate Court says it's done. My oldest brother has agreed to help me pay
for this tax filing. (Obviously I'm not going to get a dime from the other
brother, who did nothing but bitch because I wouldn't sell the house and
give him more money.)

But that's not what I'm upset about. Dad had an annuity and Mom was the
beneficiary. After he died she had to name another beneficiary. She did:
Me. The guy at H&R Block said I needed to call the IRS, ASAP, because the
company withheld 10% taxes on $153,000 under MY social security number
before issuing the check.

I spent hours on the phone with the IRS yesterday, talked with at least 6
different people. (In all fairness, they really did try to help, even
checking to see if I could issue 1099's to my brothers for their share... no
go.) Apparently Mom should have specified all three of us as beneficiaries,
or at the very least listed her Estate as the beneficiary. Mom didn't know
any better. And I'm sure when she did this she wasn't thinking about dying.

Anyway, per the terms of her Will, I split the payout with my brothers.
That's the problem. There's still an additional 10% that will be owed the
IRS. As far as the IRS is concerned I received all the money, so I'll have
to pay them (roughly) another $16,500! (Total estimated tax liability on
the total annuity, per the IRS, is $33,000). So... each of my brothers
received (rounded figures) close to $50,000 tax free. After I pay the
additional taxes, basically I got SQUAT.

It's not fair! I'm the one who has been doing all the friggin work. From
the moment I arrived here in 2007 when both parents were still alive, I took
care of them. And I've been working on all the estate-related paperwork for
the past year. I should have just kept the damn money, but I was trying to
do what Mom wanted, you know?

I know darned good and well my brothers aren't going to pitch in to help me
with this tax burden, not even the one I still get along with. I called her
attorney who said he didn't know of anything I could do about it. He said,
"You tried to do the right thing. You did what she wanted and it looks like
you got burned." No kidding! His paralegal called me back later yesterday
afternoon and gave me the name of a CPA they work with to see if he might be
able to find a way to help with this. The CPA is on vacation for a week...
even so, I can't pay a CPA on top of all of this! Needless to say I'm very
upset.

So folks... if you have anything like an annuity or other investments that
require you to name a beneficiary, don't name an INDIVIDUAL if you intend
the money be split among heirs. Otherwise that one person will be royally
screwed.

Jill

MaryL October 31st 09 12:25 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Your last paragraph is good advice. In fact, anyone named as beneficiary is
normally expected to be the beneficiary of that account, and that is totally
separate from people named in the will. You can even name 40% to one
person, 40% to another, and 20% to the estate for other distributions (just
an example). But money listed for a beneficiary (other than the estate) is
not included in bequests made in the will. The same is true for insurance
policies--money goes directly to the beneficiary (and the estate can be
one), and it is not calculated when distributing money per the will. I am
also surprised that only 10% was held back for taxes. That normally is a
minimum of 20%.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. On the brighter side, you did
get one very important (and valuable) item that went directly to you, and
that was the house. It is not a liquid asset and does not help with the
payment of taxes, but it is an asset that does not have to be shared.

MaryL

MaryL October 31st 09 12:49 PM

(OT) Rant Mom's Estate - a Cautionary Tale

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Now I really *will* appear to be the bearer of bad tidings, on top of my
you were named the beneficiary and then you distributed that money among the
three of you. The reason it was reported under your Social Security number,
of course, is that you were the legal beneficiary. However, the part that
concerns me is that you may have gone *above* the maximum limit for tax-free
gifts. Unless it has changed, you could give $12,000 per year to each
person without federal tax consequences. Anything above that would be
taxable, and the *donor* is usually responsible for that tax. I am speaking
as someone with no legal training, of course, but I am concerned that there
may be some extra tax consequences as a result of that. I think you would
be wise to ask a professional about that. You might even be able to check
with H&R Block without any additional cost since they prepared the form, but
this is something that would probably come out when you prepare your *own*
taxes since it's a consequence of your gift rather than one legally coming
from your mother. One thing I had my mother do when she was living with me
was that she listed the three of us equally as beneficiaries with POD
(payment on death). I knew that was how she had us listed in her will, but
I also knew that people listed as beneficieries would receive that money
directly instead of theough the estate.The exception was one account where
she named herself and me as joint owners. Since it was really her money, I
felt that it should be divided. So, I divided that among us in way her will
specified for anything that might not have been covered. However, I did
hold a portion until her final tax papers were filed. I explained that to
my sister and brother and told them that I was holding it for possible tax
payments. I was a lot more fortunate than you--*much* less money was
involved for us and did not go above the "giftable" limit, but my brother
and sister were always fully supportive of everything I did. In fact, they
insisted that I keep some extra for myself for all the work I did.
Incidentally, another advantage of following the advice in your last
paragraph is that money that is paid directly to beneficiaries does not go
through probate, and there is no attorney fee attached to it. (...again,
speaking from experience and *not* as a person with any legal training--and
therefore cannot give legal advice)

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_] October 31st 09 12:58 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Her bank accounts and other investments were all listed as POD. It was just
this stupid annuity that wasn't.

[...]

Per the IRS, the "gift limit" is $1 million dollars. The IRS made sure I
knew about that when I talked to them. This came nowhere near hitting a
million dollars, but I'm still responsible for the taxes on that friggin
annuity. I'm not planning on making any gifts. But thanks for the info for
other people in the U.S. who may run into this situation.

Jill

MaryL October 31st 09 01:58 PM

(OT) Rant Mom's Estate - a Cautionary Tale

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Doesn't the $1 million actually apply to money coming directly from an
estate but not to a gift given by an individual? From your description, it
sounds like yours is a gift from you and not from the estate? I'm
definitely not an expert in this area, and you have already checked with
IRS. Here's an article describing part of what I was discussing:
http://www.fairmark.com/begin/gifts.htm

MaryL

Sherry October 31st 09 03:39 PM

(OT) Rant Mom's Estate - a Cautionary Tale

On Oct 31, 8:58*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

t...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

MaryL- Hide quoted text -

FYI -- An interesting bit of trivia I read the other day.

If the wealth of the entire world were equally distributed among the
planet's inhabitants -- that is, if every man, woman and child
received
a disbursement that would equal all the money in the world, can you
guess how much it would be?

$9,000. Nine thousand dollars.

Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Sherry

MLB[_2_] October 31st 09 04:14 PM

Sherry wrote:
On Oct 31, 8:58 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

. ..
. ..
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Frankly, I a, surprized it is that much. There are so many who have
absolutely nothing.

Jofirey October 31st 09 08:17 PM

(OT) Rant Mom's Estate - a Cautionary Tale

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

. ..

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

top of my previous message. However, I just re-read the part of
your message where you were named the beneficiary and then you
[...]

You are correct. That is the lifetime gift limit. The lower (I
think its more than $12,000 now) limit is what you can give to
someone in a year without cutting into your lifetime limit. As you
said, shouldn't be a problem.

Jo

Sherry October 31st 09 08:55 PM

On Oct 31, 11:14*am, MLB wrote:
Sherry wrote:
On Oct 31, 8:58 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

et...
. net...
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

absolutely nothing.- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely. It reminds me of the song "Count your blessings,
name them one by one." We really are all privileged, compared
to so many people.

Sherry

jmcquown[_2_] November 1st 09 11:11 AM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Per the IRS, the "gift limit" is $1 million dollars. The IRS made sure I
knew about that when I talked to them. This came nowhere near hitting a
million dollars, but I'm still responsible for the taxes on that friggin
annuity. I'm not planning on making any gifts. But thanks for the info
for other people in the U.S. who may run into this situation.

Jill

Doesn't the $1 million actually apply to money coming directly from an
estate but not to a gift given by an individual? From your description,
it sounds like yours is a gift from you and not from the estate? I'm
definitely not an expert in this area, and you have already checked with
IRS. Here's an article describing part of what I was discussing:
http://www.fairmark.com/begin/gifts.htm

MaryL

Nope, money from the estate is not a gift nor is it taxable. They told me
the money I "gave" to my brothers was a gift and would go towards the $1
million lifetime gift limit.

Jill