CatBanter

-   -   Cat Diet using Kitten Food? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17275)

Mike May 4th 04 12:30 PM

Cat Diet using Kitten Food?

My grandparents have a male, neutered cat that is about 5 years old.
He had a stroke a couple years ago and never fully recovered so he
stays indoors. This cat has gained so much weight and now weighs 25
pounds. My grandmother finally took him to the vet and the vet put him
on one of the Hill's dry kitten foods to lose weight because it's low
in carbs and high in protein.

Is this ok for this cat to be on? It seems like one of the
prescription diets might be better and/or safer. Any thoughts or
opinions?
I just want to make sure this cat gets the best treatment possible. I
plan on "adopting" him from my grandparents before the end of the
year. They like him but they know they can't give him all the special
care he needs. He's also no longer happy being there anyway.

kaeli May 4th 04 02:05 PM

In article ,
enlightened us with...
..

Is this ok for this cat to be on? It seems like one of the
prescription diets might be better and/or safer. Any thoughts or
opinions?

I'd ask over in alt.med.veterinary.
Putting an adult on a high protein, kitten diet seems a bit, well, odd
to me for weight loss. IIRC, kitten food is designed to keep weight ON
pregnant and nursing queens and kittens. But IANAV. Maybe I'm missing
something.

If your news server, like mine, doesn't carry the alt groups, you can
post from Google. Slow, but it works.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=al...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wg

~kaeli~
A hangover is the wrath of grapes.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Joe Canuck May 4th 04 04:10 PM

Mike wrote:

My grandparents have a male, neutered cat that is about 5 years old.
He had a stroke a couple years ago and never fully recovered so he
stays indoors. This cat has gained so much weight and now weighs 25
pounds. My grandmother finally took him to the vet and the vet put him
on one of the Hill's dry kitten foods to lose weight because it's low
in carbs and high in protein.

Is this ok for this cat to be on? It seems like one of the
prescription diets might be better and/or safer. Any thoughts or
opinions?
I just want to make sure this cat gets the best treatment possible. I
plan on "adopting" him from my grandparents before the end of the
year. They like him but they know they can't give him all the special
care he needs. He's also no longer happy being there anyway.

Your options:

1) Seek a 2nd opinion from another vet. Hopefully one that is
experienced and deals with felines only.

2) Ask for a nutritional consultation from the folks below:
http://www.petdiets.com/

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

PawsForThought May 4th 04 04:32 PM

From: (Mike)

He had a stroke a couple years ago and never fully recovered so he
stays indoors. This cat has gained so much weight and now weighs 25
pounds. My grandmother finally took him to the vet and the vet put him
on one of the Hill's dry kitten foods to lose weight because it's low
in carbs and high in protein.

Since when is a dry food low in carbs? Dry food has to have carbs in it in
order for the ingredients to bind. Also, kitten foods are usually higher in
calories to meet the requirements of a growing cat. Have you tried a canned
food on him? I believe Wellness makes a carb free one.
You also need to find out the cat's ideal weight and then feed him accordingly.
Remember, you don't want a cat to lose weight too quickly.

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Jon C May 4th 04 06:42 PM

1) Any dry food is going to be high carb compared to a wet food.
2) Kitten foods are far higher in calories than regular cat or light foods,
leading to weight gain.

I can't imagine what the vet was thinking if he suggested that. It's not a
good idea.

om...

Steve G May 4th 04 10:51 PM

olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message ...
(...)

Since when is a dry food low in carbs? Dry food has to have carbs in it in
order for the ingredients to bind.

I guess in theory you could replace the carbs with an indigestible
filler such as cellulose. Doubt that's the case for the OP's kitten
food though.

Also, kitten foods are usually higher in
calories to meet the requirements of a growing cat.

I'll hop on the bandwagon. The vet's advice sounds a bit odd.

Have you tried a canned
food on him? I believe Wellness makes a carb free one.

I don't believe any Wellness food is *entirely* carb free.

Steve.