CatBanter

-   -   Bucky's Lament (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=84376)

Mark Edwards November 18th 07 07:54 PM

Bucky's Lament

Since the apartment soaking, Bucky has stayed as close to me as he can
When I am out of sight, he cries loudly (Senyah says annoyingly). At times,
he let's out what I call a "siren meow" - very plaintive and very like a
siren.

I call out to him and tell him "I'm in here, sweetie!" at which time he
comes running, emitting little meows to me the whole way. If I'm lying back
reading, he comes and lays down next to me.

Every now and then, he opens an eye and reaches out a paw to make sure I'm
still there. I will be so glad when this fiasco is all over - maintenance
men gone, blowers gone, furniture put back in place - so that Bucky and the
rest (who are dealing with it) can be comfortable in their daily routines
again.

I tell Senyah she should call out to Bucky and try to comfort him, but she
says Bucky isn't really interested in being a "Senyah kitty" (big grin).

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

mlbriggs November 18th 07 08:11 PM

Bucky's Lament

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:54:44 +0000, Mark Edwards wrote:

[...]

Do you have a small radio that you could leave on where he could hear the
"talk shows"? Perhaps it would comfort him. MLB

[email protected] November 18th 07 09:08 PM

Bucky's Lament

Mark Edwards wrote:

Since the apartment soaking, Bucky has stayed as close to me as he can
When I am out of sight, he cries loudly (Senyah says annoyingly). At times,
he let's out what I call a "siren meow" - very plaintive and very like a
siren.

I can just imagine this - it's a bit like what Licky does. I think that
easily frightened cats get more needy than more confident cats, because
the confident ones can come up to you whenever they like, but the nervous
ones are often too anxious. It must get very lonely for them, hiding out,
or only trusting one person, who therefore must be accessible at all times.

I call out to him and tell him "I'm in here, sweetie!" at which time he
comes running, emitting little meows to me the whole way. If I'm lying back
reading, he comes and lays down next to me.

That's adorable. (Smudge does this outside - well, minus the lying down
part. :))

Every now and then, he opens an eye and reaches out a paw to make
sure I'm still there.

I think he has a bit of an "object permanence" deficit. Meaning that
when you are out of view, he's not sure you exist anymore. Babies (ie,
human) are like this - they haven't yet learned that "out of sight"
doesn't mean "no longer existing". I forget at what age children learn
that things go on even when they can't see them. Perhaps Bucky has had
too many abandonments or other scary experiences, and doesn't trust
anything he can't see and feel and curl up with? You're such a good
cat daddy.`

Joyce

Kreisleriana[_2_] November 18th 07 09:37 PM

Bucky's Lament

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
[...]

I do this with my boys when I leave the house. I have no idea what
difference it makes for them, but it makes me feel better. ;)

Annie W November 19th 07 12:04 AM

Bucky's Lament

On Nov 18, 1:54 pm, Mark Edwards wrote:

Every now and then, he opens an eye and reaches out a paw to make sure I'm
still there. I will be so glad when this fiasco is all over - maintenance
men gone, blowers gone, furniture put back in place - so that Bucky and the
rest (who are dealing with it) can be comfortable in their daily routines
again.

Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

I'm sure it will be a lot less stressful for all of you when
everything is back to normal. Rosie and Cinder are sending soothing
cyberpurrs to Bucky.

Annie

Marina November 19th 07 08:56 AM

Bucky's Lament

Mark Edwards wrote:
[...]

Aww, poor Bucky. Only his Paw will do. Mir does this cute thing
sometimes when I call her. She comkes running and makes this sound with
her mouth shut - mmMMmmMMmmMMmmMMmm - the rhythm is caused by her steps
making a harder MM each time a paw hits the floor, if that makes any sense.

polonca12000 November 22nd 07 10:16 PM

Bucky's Lament

Mark Edwards wrote:

[...]

Lots and lots of purrs,