CatBanter

-   -   Fleas on Newborns -- Advantage Kill Them? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17509)

Jerry Ingerski May 17th 04 01:34 AM

Fleas on Newborns -- Advantage Kill Them?

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with Advantage.
Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

jji

MacCandace May 17th 04 01:54 AM

Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

Don't do it, they might die and then you would feel awful (I would hope). Call
the vet and ask what to do about them. They're probably even too little to be
bathed or flea-combed.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Mary May 17th 04 02:19 AM

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with Advantage.
Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

You can put a couple of drops on the bedding around them. I also use a tiny
flea comb and comb/pluck the fleas off of them.

Cheryl May 17th 04 03:07 AM

pam (Mary) dumped this in
on 16 May 2004:

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with
Advantage. Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on
them? I know the directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

You can put a couple of drops on the bedding around them. I also use a
tiny flea comb and comb/pluck the fleas off of them.

Good advice. Plus, keep a glass of water on hand with a drop of Dawn in the
water and dip the flea comb as you comb so the fleas drown.

--
Cheryl

Dennis Carr May 17th 04 03:45 AM

On Mon, 17 May 2004 00:34:34 +0000, Jerry Ingerski wrote:

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with Advantage.
Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on them? I know the
directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

I'm with MacCandace, don't do advantage on the kittens.

My veterinarian's recept staff once recommended Frontline for at least
pregnant and nursing mothers, but...well, ask about. Jerry there probably
had a good idea.

Another thing you can do is sprinkle borax powder around the kindle for a
few yards. It won't kill the fleas in there, but it will keep any in the
carpet out (and kill any that contact it).

That brings up another issue. Anyone else have good ideas for flea
repellant where there are infant kittens at stake?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Magic Mood Jeep© May 17th 04 04:03 AM

"Cheryl" wrote in message
pam (Mary) dumped this in
on 16 May 2004:

My newborn kittens have fleas! I've treated the mother with
Advantage. Would the little kitties die if I put just one drop on
them? I know the directions say only for kittens over six weeks.

You can put a couple of drops on the bedding around them. I also use a
tiny flea comb and comb/pluck the fleas off of them.

Good advice. Plus, keep a glass of water on hand with a drop of Dawn in

the
water and dip the flea comb as you comb so the fleas drown.

My vet said NOT to use the Dawn (or any other dish detergent) when using a
flea comb on kittens - it might make them sick. You may not think so, but
they do lick each other while they're all cuddled up in their nest. When I
had to flea comb Weeble (he was abandoned by his mama when a day or two old)
I would crush the flea(s) with my fingernail while they were still stuck in
the comb, then pluck them out and drop them in the glass of water. Also, be
prepared for the water to turn 'bloody' when you wash out the flea comb -
you'll get lots of flea droppings in the comb as well and it's basically
like dried blood.
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©