CatBanter

-   -   ? About Neutering (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16212)

Sean Hotaling February 14th 04 05:12 PM

? About Neutering

Are there different levels of neutering a cat? I have 4 male cats that
have been neutered and one of them still sprays from time to time.
This one cat that sprays was done by a vet overseas before I got him.
One time I noticed when he was cleaning himself he had an erection, is
this possible from a neutered cat and do some cats still spray when
neutered? I thought the process removes all the sex organs in the
male, could it be possible he only had something like a vasectomy?
Thanks, Sean

Phil P. February 15th 04 10:59 AM

"Sean Hotaling" wrote in message
om...
Are there different levels of neutering a cat? I have 4 male cats that
have been neutered and one of them still sprays from time to time.
This one cat that sprays was done by a vet overseas before I got him.
One time I noticed when he was cleaning himself he had an erection, is
this possible from a neutered cat and do some cats still spray when
neutered? I thought the process removes all the sex organs in the
male, could it be possible he only had something like a vasectomy?

As strange as it may seem, its possible your cat was vasectomized. You said
the problem cat came from overseas. Some European countries strongly oppose
neutering. I may be wrong, but I think neutering animals is actually
illegal in Germany - at least that's what I've heard.

Easy enough to determine whether or not your cat was vasectomized ...
although you might feel a little nuts (literally) checking... ;)

In the US, vasectomies are usually performed only for catteries and
research colonies. Vasectomized males are used to induce ovulation in
cycling females -- which reduces the number and duration of estrous
periods. We've used vasectomized males in an experimental program in a
feral colony with some success.

Since vasectomy doesn't produce the behavioral changes associated with
neutering (decreased roamÂ*ing, aggression, and urine marking), vasectomy
provides no benefit for privately owned pet cats.

Phil

Peggy L February 15th 04 06:58 PM

(Sean Hotaling) wrote in message . com...
Are there different levels of neutering a cat

The youngest member of my family, Pirate, had one testicle that was
slow to descend. Fortunately, it did descend completely when he was
about 6 months old and I was able to have him neutered with no issues.

However, my vet said that, had the second testicle not descended, it
could have been VERY difficult to locate and remove. The "hidden"
testicle would then have then been producing testosterone and would
have caused him to act like an unneutered male.

I don't know that this is the case with your cat, but it is a
possibility. From what my vet said, I don't think there's a lot you
can do about it. :(

Peggy L.

A house with a cat needs no art -- Japanese saying

Liz February 15th 04 10:41 PM

(Sean Hotaling) wrote in message . com...
Are there different levels of neutering a cat? I have 4 male cats that
have been neutered and one of them still sprays from time to time.
This one cat that sprays was done by a vet overseas before I got him.
One time I noticed when he was cleaning himself he had an erection, is
this possible from a neutered cat and do some cats still spray when
neutered? I thought the process removes all the sex organs in the
male, could it be possible he only had something like a vasectomy?
Thanks, Sean

I have seen neutered males having an erection and even trying to
copulate with a female in heat. Sexual behavior is not dependent
exclusively on ovaries or testicles. A neutered animal can respond to
sexual stimulus, for instance, the call of a female or licking his
parts. Just check to see if he has his testicles. If he does, he was
vasectomized. If he doesn´t, he was neutered.

Sharon Talbert February 17th 04 09:03 PM

In the US, vasectomies are usually performed only for catteries and
research colonies. Vasectomized males are used to induce ovulation in
cycling females -- which reduces the number and duration of estrous
periods. We've used vasectomized males in an experimental program in a
feral colony with some success.

More, please, on the experimental program.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Sharon Talbert February 17th 04 09:12 PM

I somehow missed the original posting on this subject so don't know the
specifics, Peggy, but your case made me remember Orlando, a kitten we
rescued who didn't have testicles at all! The vet even opened him up
looking, poor little guy.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats