CatBanter

-   -   IAMs 7+ year old cat food? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16842)

John Doe March 30th 04 09:27 AM

IAMs 7+ year old cat food?

I looked around on the package of IAMs "7+ year old" cat food and did not
see a description. Well, now that I think of it, they probably have a web
site, hopefully that would be on it.

But just in case they do not.

What is that food for? Apparently for 7+ year old cats. My problem is that
I want to give them the hairball formula and at the same time a low calorie
food.

I do not see any comments on the thrust of Purina's Indoor Cat Formula. My
guess is that it would help with both of those. They usually are less
active, and they do not have a chance to eat grass or whatever other fiber
rich substance.

I guess my cats will continue getting the hairball formula and I will just
have to ration it.

I vaguely recall reading that cats should have dry food left out at all
times. Is that a common recommendation or could I have confused that with
advice about fresh water?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Canuck March 30th 04 02:44 PM

John Doe wrote:

I looked around on the package of IAMs "7+ year old" cat food and did not
see a description. Well, now that I think of it, they probably have a web
site, hopefully that would be on it.

Bring up Google and enter "Iams" as the search string. In any case,
below is the website:

http://www.iamsco.com

Read all about the formula there.

snip

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Mary March 30th 04 07:32 PM

"John Doe" wrote in message
I looked around on the package of IAMs "7+ year old" cat food and

did not
see a description. Well, now that I think of it, they probably have

a web
site, hopefully that would be on it.

But just in case they do not.

What is that food for? Apparently for 7+ year old cats. My problem

is that
I want to give them the hairball formula and at the same time a low

calorie
food.

John--

Our fat cat has eaten Iams hairball/weight loss for about four years.
We free fed and
she wolfed it and begged for more. On a suggestion from someone here,
I started giving
her canned food, just a little at a time, like a third of a 3-oz can
three times a day. In addition, she gets maybe a third cup of dry
food, just a sprinkle in the morning and at night. She has stopped
eating all of the dry food--it is as though she rations herself. And
she loves the wet food. AND she is losing weight. She clearly finds
the wet food more satisfying. The dry diet food is full of carbs and
apparently they just keep eating because they are not satisfied--like
you might do if you wanted steak but could only get to Popcorn. As for
the hairballs, get some Laxatone, or whatever your vet sells in a
tube. It usually tastes like molasses and they lick it right off your
fingers, or you can put a dab on their noses. Another
thing--apparently dry food if eaten fast can cause upchucking because
it expands in the stomach. Hope this helps.