CatBanter

-   -   Sasha is not good (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=74211)

meow September 1st 06 07:38 PM

Sasha is not good

Called vet to bring her in and he pretty much told me not to bother.
Said the mass in her liver is problably getting the best of her and to
give her fluids and make her as comfy as possible. I just gave her
100ml and I brought the bag out to where she is laying on the couch
and injected her and she did not even move. She usually puts up a
little struggle. vet said that he could do an xray of the mass but all
it would do is give us a picture of it and he still would not suggest
any type of exploratory surgery because she has CRF and there still
would not be much they could do. told me to take until tomorrow and
see how she is doing and to start to consider saying goodbye. I am
going to have the other dr there review her case because I am not
ready to write her off yet. She was doing so well the past few months
I just can't believe she would crash like this in a matter of days.

Azara September 1st 06 10:42 PM

Sasha is not good

I don't want to get your hopes up in case the vet is right but if I
were you, I wouldn't give up yet either. Try another vet, even an
emergency vet (if that's an option for you and you can afford it.)
Cat's can take sudden downturns (so that doesn't surprise me) but they
can also come back from the brink at times. But if the liver is
involved, that does sound pretty bad. Does he think it is cancer?

-L. September 1st 06 10:49 PM

Sasha is not good

meow wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, that's cancer. Sometimes it takes them down really
quickly. I am so sorry. Here's a link that might help:
Here's a link that might help:
http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com...edecision.html
My thoughts are with you,
-L.

[email protected] September 1st 06 11:01 PM

Sasha is not good

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:38:15 GMT, meow wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
care too much. Good luck and let us know.

Elizabeth Blake September 2nd 06 02:47 AM

Sasha is not good

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

meow wrote:
[...]

The same thing happened with my cat Tiger. In December 2005 I was told that
her kidneys were starting to fail. She was doing great after that, and then
one night in March I got home and she was very lethargic, wanted to stay
under the table and had no interest in food. Her bloodwork was good as far
as her kidneys were concerned but other numbers were way off. The vet said
she most likely had cancer, but she passed away before an ultrasound could
be done. One day she was great, the next she wasn't. I hope that you get
better news about Sasha. Purrs for the both of you.

--
Liz

[email protected] September 2nd 06 12:45 PM

Sasha is not good

Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
care too much. Good luck and let us know.

I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
and not taking advantage of the situation.

He may be wrong, so it would be a good idea to see the other vet. But
it doesn't sound like the vet doesn't care. Just that he believes the
condition is not curable. I haven't seen anything that says the age of
this cat, and that is also a factor to take into consideration.

Last year, I discovered that Maynard had yellow ears. He seemed fine
otherwise, so I didn't realize it was very serious until Igot to the
vet and the tech looked serious and came back with the vet who had a
look that told me this was very close to the end. This was not mynormal
vet, and she gave me a bunch of of emergency options that would have
brought in a lot of cash flow for them, but it was obvious that she
didn't believe any of it would help him, especially as he was 19.

I did get the bloodwork as there was a chance that it was just an
infection. His liver values were way off the chart. This was not a
little infection.

ALT was 605 (normal is 12 -130).
SGOT/AST was 145 (normal is 5-55).
TBIL was 17.6 (normal is 0-0.9).

He still seemed fine that day, but started going downhill the day
after. And the 3rd day, he gave up eating altogether, and basically
just laid there.

Sometimes, it really does come on fast. I took him back to my regular
vet, and they took one look and agreed that any treatment would be
useless and only prolong his suffering. Had he been younger or had
some hope in his bloodwork, I would have tried.

I don't know how likely a liver problem is if the bloodwork looks okay.
Maynard's bloodwork was obviously bad.

I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.

meow September 2nd 06 06:39 PM

Sasha is not good

On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

She seems ok today. She ate a good amount of wet food last night and
ate a pretty good amount a few hours ago. I think she was just having
a bad couple days. I don't know how old she is. I know I've had her
since Dec. of 2000 and she was a starving stray i took in and has been
the best cat ever. At the time the vets claimed she was around 2 but
since she was diagnosed with CRF in January, they suspected she may be
older than we originally thought. I over worry about her. Having a cat
with CRF is like a rollorcoaster because she has good days and bad
days. When you see them on there good days you assume they are gonna
be with you forever but on there bad days sometimes you don't know if
this is it or not.

Hezabel September 3rd 06 02:42 AM

Sasha is not good

meow wrote:
[...]

Our thoughts are with you and Sasha. See another vet if you can for
that second opinion that we need no matter what. She is lucky to have
found you and to have all your love and care when she needs it the
most. It will all be the way it should at the end. Many blessings to
you.

[email protected] September 4th 06 03:52 AM

Sasha is not good

On 2 Sep 2006 04:45:07 -0700, "
wrote:

Sounds like you need another vet. This one sounds like he doesn't
care too much. Good luck and let us know.

I got the impression that the vet believes this is the end, and
instead of being greedy and encouraging all sorts of tests, was honest
and not taking advantage of the situation.

It was the bluntness of the response that concerned me. If the vet
wasn't compassionate, I would tend to not trust that vet.

I would definitely go back to the other vet, the one you trust, and see
what you can learn. Consider your options, give yourself some time,
and make an educated decision to try further treatment or let her go.

Agreed.