CatBanter

-   -   How to keep a Water Bowl from freezing? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14750)

Mr B November 25th 03 03:15 AM

How to keep a Water Bowl from freezing?

Howdy,

We have our stray cats that we take care of and are looking for a way to keep their water bowl from
freezing. I have built them a house to live in which they like, but it just dropped to the 20s in
the past day or so and their water bowl freezes.

I'm guessing I could get some sort of thing made for Bird Baths but was wondering if anyone had
anything specific they have used. I'm looking for the Cheapest solution I can find. Any
suggestions woudl be great.

Thanks.

Karen M. November 25th 03 03:58 AM

Mr B wrote:

Howdy,

We have our stray cats that we take care of and are looking for a way to keep their water bowl from
freezing. I have built them a house to live in which they like, but it just dropped to the 20s in
the past day or so and their water bowl freezes.

I'm guessing I could get some sort of thing made for Bird Baths but was wondering if anyone had
anything specific they have used. I'm looking for the Cheapest solution I can find. Any
suggestions woudl be great.

Thanks.

Unfortunately there's only two ways to keep water from freezing - keep
the temperature above 32c, or keep the water moving. Both are going to
require an electric solution for you. Good luck, and how sweet of you to
build them a house. You know you could always post a picture for
everybody, hint hint. :)

Sherry November 25th 03 04:31 AM

Howdy,

We have our stray cats that we take care of and are looking for a way to keep
their water bowl from
freezing. I have built them a house to live in which they like, but it just
dropped to the 20s in
the past day or so and their water bowl freezes.

I'm guessing I could get some sort of thing made for Bird Baths but was
wondering if anyone had
anything specific they have used. I'm looking for the Cheapest solution I
can find. Any
suggestions woudl be great.

Thanks.

I haven't priced one, but heated water bowls are available at about any pet
store or farm and ranch store. Another suggestion I'd like to suggest is a
product I found at Petsmart the other day, it's a flat, hard plastic mat, about
16" x 20". It has a steel wrapped cord and is specifically designed for
doghouses. It heats up to 102 degrees. They're kind of expensive, but would be
great and safe for your cat house.

Sherry