CatBanter

-   -   Persistence with mats (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=81230)

---MIKE--- July 3rd 07 12:22 AM

Persistence with mats

The past few years I have had to take Tiger to the vet to get
"de-matted". This required sedation which was expensive as well as
somewhat risky. This year I have tried to keep them under control.
Despite my efforts, he developed mats on both sides of his hips. He
won't let me use clippers or scissors on them. I finally found a way.
He loves to be brushed with the Zoom Groom so I brush his back with it
while attacking the mats with a wire brush. The brushing with the Zoom
Groom holds his attention so I can get in a few licks with the wire
brush. Today I finally got the last piece of the mat out.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Matthew July 3rd 07 12:45 AM

Persistence with mats

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
The past few years I have had to take Tiger to the vet to get
"de-matted". This required sedation which was expensive as well as
somewhat risky. This year I have tried to keep them under control.
Despite my efforts, he developed mats on both sides of his hips. He
won't let me use clippers or scissors on them. I finally found a way.
He loves to be brushed with the Zoom Groom so I brush his back with it
while attacking the mats with a wire brush. The brushing with the Zoom
Groom holds his attention so I can get in a few licks with the wire
brush. Today I finally got the last piece of the mat out.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Hey mike I used to have a problem with our Himalayans and their mats. I
used a flow be the do it yourself hair cut. I would brush them and run
this along them and it sucked up the hair and cut in the same process

-L. July 3rd 07 09:26 AM

Persistence with mats

---MIKE--- wrote:
The past few years I have had to take Tiger to the vet to get
"de-matted". This required sedation which was expensive as well as
somewhat risky. This year I have tried to keep them under control.
Despite my efforts, he developed mats on both sides of his hips. He
won't let me use clippers or scissors on them. I finally found a way.
He loves to be brushed with the Zoom Groom so I brush his back with it
while attacking the mats with a wire brush. The brushing with the Zoom
Groom holds his attention so I can get in a few licks with the wire
brush. Today I finally got the last piece of the mat out.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Teflon-coated metal grooming comb - medium-toothed - is the only way
to prevent matts. Use it every-other day.

-L.