CatBanter

-   -   "Multicat" litter: what makes it multi? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=89701)

Robotech_Master July 9th 08 02:19 PM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

I've noticed that one of the flavors of cat litter I can get (I use
Arm & Hammer) calls itself "Multicat".

Given that I'm about to be a multicat owner, I'm curious what the
difference is between that and "ordinary" litter. I have seen that
the texture of the granules is noticeably different, but I'm wondering
why.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm

CatNipped[_2_] July 9th 08 02:33 PM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
g...
I've noticed that one of the flavors of cat litter I can get (I use
Arm & Hammer) calls itself "Multicat".

Given that I'm about to be a multicat owner, I'm curious what the
difference is between that and "ordinary" litter.

A good advertising department! ;

I have seen that
the texture of the granules is noticeably different, but I'm wondering
why.

So there's some noticable difference for customers to see.

Seriously, there really isn't any difference. I have five cats and six
litter boxes, I've tried just about every brand of cat litter these is, and
*NOTHING* keeps the boxes from stinking except frequent scooping and
scrubbing.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Phil P. July 9th 08 04:13 PM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

"Robotech_Master" wrote in message
g...
I've noticed that one of the flavors of cat litter I can get (I use
Arm & Hammer) calls itself "Multicat".

Given that I'm about to be a multicat owner, I'm curious what the
difference is between that and "ordinary" litter. I have seen that
the texture of the granules is noticeably different, but I'm wondering
why.

Multicat is slightly scented. The granules contain a little more deodorant.
Stick to A&H Super Scoop Fragrance Free (blue label).

Best of luck with your new friends.

http://maxshouse.com/PreventativeHealth.htm

Phil

cshenk July 10th 08 03:16 AM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

"Robotech_Master" wrote

I've noticed that one of the flavors of cat litter I can get (I use
Arm & Hammer) calls itself "Multicat".

Given that I'm about to be a multicat owner, I'm curious what the
difference is between that and "ordinary" litter. I have seen that
the texture of the granules is noticeably different, but I'm wondering
why.

Generally a slightly higher amount of odor control material added. You can
do the same with a sprinkle of baking powder added to regular and for much
less. But as others have said, nothing really beats frequent scouping and
occasionally just dumping the whole pan in the trash then rinsing it out
with a hose.

If you do not plan to have a dog, clumping litter is a good way to go as
it's much easier to scoup. Just be sure the layer is about 2 inches deep or
it wont be enough to 'catch pee and clump'.

Do you plan to have 2 litter boxes? Some do but I only took to 2 boxes when
I had 4 cats at once. 4 cats BTW will (if friendly) try to share a box but
not even clumping litter will keep it from being a sodden mass daily.

Side advice since if I track right your thread, you've had cats before but
not in a bit of time and never 2? Go for the largest pan you can get and
forget those mechanical 'self scouping' ones (seldom work without help daily
and way too expensive, you'll spend as much time fixing them as just a
regular box takes to scoup). I dont bother with liners either, just an
added expense and it's just as easy to take the pan to the trash can and
upend it there. Besides, as I use clumping litter by the time it's 'dump
the box' the cat will have shredded the sides so much that you cant just
lift out the liner anyways.

Robotech_Master July 10th 08 04:00 AM

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 22:16:04 -0400, cshenk wrote:

Do you plan to have 2 litter boxes?

Only during the "getting acquainted" phase when I sequester the cats
in separate parts of the apartment until they get used to each other.
After that I'll consolidate to just the one. Though I will keep the
second one around just in case; I've heard that some cats prefer to do
Number One and Number Two in different boxes.

Side advice since if I track right your thread, you've had cats before but
not in a bit of time and never 2?

Well, I had one cat for five years and she died on July 3rd.

Go for the largest pan you can get and forget those mechanical
'self scouping' ones (seldom work without help daily and way too
expensive, you'll spend as much time fixing them as just a regular
box takes to scoup).

I'll probably find one of those big under-bed storage boxes and use it
instead. Seeing as one of my cats will be fairly large, there might
not be room for him in something less. :)

Janet Boss July 10th 08 12:50 PM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

In article ,
Robotech_Master wrote:

I'll probably find one of those big under-bed storage boxes and use it
instead. Seeing as one of my cats will be fairly large, there might
not be room for him in something less. :)

I LOVE the Breeze litterboxes. When Carey was very sick, they were a
godsend. Now that it's only Skipjack, they're still great and very
clean and odor free. He's a big cat as well and has plenty of room in
one.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Spot[_2_] July 11th 08 01:21 AM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

Some cats dislike the good smelling odor crystals in some cat litters and
will not use it. I had one do exactly that so I just buy the plain old
scoopable from Walmart. $6.45 for a 28lb box. As long as I scoop a couple
times a day and put a little fresh on top we have no odor problems.

Celeste

Spot[_2_] July 11th 08 01:21 AM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

I was wondering about the breeze boxes. The litter doesn't clump correct so
the urine drops through to the pad. And you pick out the poop. How much
tracking do you get with this? How often do you have to change the pad with
one cat? I was thinking of adding one of these upstairs as a 2nd box.

Celeste

Janet Boss July 11th 08 01:25 AM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

In article _Hxdk.1269$bn3.1080@trnddc07, "Spot"
wrote:

I was wondering about the breeze boxes. The litter doesn't clump correct so
the urine drops through to the pad. And you pick out the poop. How much
tracking do you get with this? How often do you have to change the pad with
one cat? I was thinking of adding one of these upstairs as a 2nd box.

I have found that 2x/week pad changing works best ( w/2 boxes, w/2 cats
or 1 box, 1 cat). No tracking at all. I've been really happy.

Spot[_2_] July 11th 08 10:36 PM

"Multicat" litter: what makes it multi?

I think I'm going to get one of these it might be the answer to my oldest.
My oldest will not pee in the box if it has been used at times and has
clumps of wet litter in it. I'm hoping this will help eliminate him peeing
outside the box. As it is now I have to scoop 5 or 6 times a day to keep
him from leaving me messes. I like the idea of the pee draining away and
the litter not tracking.

Thanks
Celeste