CatBanter

-   -   feed Nutro? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14328)

Steve Crane November 12th 03 03:55 PM

"Phil P." wrote in message news:qv-dnXbXV8pDky2iRVn-

It's interesting that Nutro mailed out a four page letter to nearly
every vet in the country making similar claims as Tamarra did above.
The interesting part was it was signed by a Cathy Machlik Ph.D. No
veterinarian listed anywhere, and when you do a Google on Dr. Machlik
you find she hasn't published anything. Research from Nutro - Sounds
like a great definition of an oxymoron to me.

KellyH November 12th 03 11:58 PM

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
om...

Perhaps you could let us know when you made the changes to Nutro
Natural Choice Senior and Lite? Product still in the stores does not
yet show the addition of taurine to the ingredient label, yet your web
site shows taurine added. Is this a fairly recent change to these two
products?

Oh great.. now Nutro's a bad cat food. I have been feeding my cats Nutro
Natural Choice Lite for the past several months, and all has appeared to be
well. No funky stools, Bartleby hasn't had any UTI's, all the cats like it.
How does this new formula of Nutro affect urinary tract health? That is one
of my main concerns. I need a cat food that will promote good urinary tract
health, preferably a light formula, two of my cats need to to lose weight,
and also promote good dental health. I thought I had found that with the
Natural Choice Lite. I'm not adverse to mixing two foods together, as long
as they don't counteract each other.
I also feed one small can of Wellness a day, split between 5 cats, as a
treat, and also to give Bartleby more moisture in his diet.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

GAUBSTER2 November 13th 03 04:18 PM

From: "KellyH"

Oh great.. now Nutro's a bad cat food.

I need a cat food that will promote good urinary tract
health, preferably a light formula, two of my cats need to to lose weight,
and also promote good dental health. I thought I had found that with the
Natural Choice Lite.

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it say
anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250 kcal in
order to be called a LIGHT food. It used to be that foods would call
themselves "lite" or something else when they didn't meet the LIGHT standards.
As for dental health, the only foods that will really positively impact dental
health are foods that carry the VOHC seal. Hill's makes 2 diets that meet this
standard (a prescription diet and Science Diet Oral Care). As for urinary
tract health, it used to be that the Nutro products acidified a cat's urinary
pH output to the point where it was possible to drop below the 6.2-6.4 range
which is considered "normal" in a healthy cat. Just some points to consider.

Steve G November 14th 03 12:57 AM

(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message ...
(...)

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it say
anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250 kcal
in order to be called a LIGHT food.

3,250kcal per .... ?

As for dental health, the only foods that will really positively impact
dental health are foods that carry the VOHC seal.

Not quite. Foods that carry the VOHC seal have been shown to have a
positive impact on dental health. Foods that do not carry this seal
could be useful for dental health, but they have not submitted to the
VOHC protocols. An example of this is the Iams Dental Diet products
(all Iams dry foods AFAIK). These foods claim a reduction in the rate
of tartar buildup of up to 40%. However, these foods are not yet VOHC
approved, although perhaps they will be in the future.

Hill's makes 2 diets that meet this
standard (a prescription diet and Science Diet Oral Care).

t/d is the Hills prescription product, and it is somewhat low in
calorie density. This may be of interest.

Another VOHC approved food is the Friskies Dental Diet. It also seems
that Iams dry would fit the bill for dental health stuff, even though
it has not yet passed VOHC protocols.

Steve.