CatBanter

-   -   feed Nutro? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14328)

Tamara November 10th 03 09:13 PM

feed Nutro?

Thanks for your inquiry about taurine and cardiomyopathy (DCM).
Taurine is essential for a healthy heart and Nutro is on the forefront
of current taurine research.

The Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (JAVMA)
recently published the results of a UC Davis study begun in 1997 and
completed in 2001 that was based on a twelve-dog sample over a
four-year period. The study theorized that feeding certain diets may
lead to low blood concentrations of taurine, which may in turn lead to
DCM in some small number of dogs. Because the UC Davis study involved
some Nutro products, mainly due to our enormous market share in the UC
Davis marketplace, the article may convey the impression to a casual
reader that feeding Nutro's lamb meal and rice products leads to
taurine deficiency. This was not stated in the article and is simply
not true. The UC Davis team has subsequently stated that " this is a
genetic and environmental issue and we need to do more research on the
effect of diet."

The report did correctly state that one of the manufacturers of the
pet foods sited had subsequently added taurine to its product. That
manufacturer was Nutro. Nutro's nutritionists, along with UC Davis,
have conducted intensive research over the past several years on
taurine metabolism in dogs. As a result, Nutro has determined the
optimal amounts of dietary taurine necessary to produce blood and
plasma taurine concentrations well within the levels recommended by UC
Davis. Nutro's foods contain more than this amount.

The article printed in JAVMA is old news. Beginning in 2001, and
continuing today, all of Nutro's Natural Choice products have been
enriched with added, extra taurine to provide insurance to even the
very small number of dogs that may be predisposed to DCM (less than
0.5%). As you can see by the enclosed chart, Natural Choice Lamb Meal
& Rice contains more taurine than other competitive brands. In fact,
as much as 180% more.

Nutro is committed to using the best ingredients to make the best pet
foods. Our products are formulated based on the latest research and
scientific findings regarding dog and cat nutrition. We continually
enhance our foods to insure the health and well being of our
consumers' pets. When we say Natural Choice is THE BEST DOG FOOD IN
THE WORLD we mean it. And you can be absolutely confident that by
feeding Nutro's pet foods you are providing the very best nutrition
available today for your loving pet.

If you have additional questions or desire additional information
please feel free to contact us at 1-800-833-5330 or at
www.nutroproducts.com. Thank you again for your inquiry

Joe Canuck November 10th 03 09:31 PM

Tamara wrote:
Thanks for your inquiry about taurine and cardiomyopathy (DCM).
Taurine is essential for a healthy heart and Nutro is on the forefront
of current taurine research.

snip

I didn't inquire, but since you seem to be a representative of Nutro
given your email address perhaps you can share with us the dry matter
analysis % of the following Nutro product:

"Natural Choice Complete Care Adult" (dry)

Please don't respond with a "canned" answer, thank you.

Well folks, looks like the pet food companies do pay attention. I
verified the email addy, it is valid.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Joe Canuck November 10th 03 09:36 PM

Perhaps you could also confirm, deny and elaborate on the following as well:

Does Nutro no long do feeding trials of the cat food products?

Does Nutro now formulate cat food based on least-cost methods?

Why was the proximate analysis of the Nutro foods remove from the
website a while back?

These have been rumours circulating in the newsgroup for a long while
now. You have the opportunity now to perhaps correct this information as
you did with the JAVMA study.

Phil P. November 10th 03 10:14 PM

"Tamara" wrote in message
om...

Nutro is committed to using the best ingredients

How do you manage that feat using least cost formulation where the quality
of ingredients fluctuates from batch to batch with ingredient prices?

Our products are formulated based on the latest research and
scientific findings

...by other pet food manufacturers... What good is the science if you use
"least cost formulation" where every new batch is a crap shoot and a mystery
stew?

We continually
enhance our foods

Can't tell....you no longer publish the proximate analyses of your diets on
your website...

And you can be absolutely confident that

....Nutro isn't the same food upon which your reputation was built years ago.

Phil (former diehard Nutro customer)

Phil P. November 10th 03 10:16 PM

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
.. .

Perhaps you could also confirm, deny and elaborate on the following as

well:

Does Nutro no long do feeding trials of the cat food products?

That's not a rumor, Joe. The label statement on Nutro products "....is
formulated to meet the nutritional levels estabĀ*lished by the AAFCO Cat Food
Nutrient Profiles for... " means feeding trials were not used to assure
nutritional adequacy (and digestibility) of the diet.

A food that bears the the label statement "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO
procedures substantiate that...." .indicates that feeding trials were used.

Does Nutro now formulate cat food based on least-cost methods?

Why was the proximate analysis of the Nutro foods remove from the
website a while back?

I think the above two are probably related. Nutro can't very well publish
proximate analyses of their diets if the nutritional values of their diets
vary from batch to batch. Still, I'd like to see their answer...

Phil

GAUBSTER2 November 10th 03 10:45 PM

From: (Tamara)

Taurine is essential for a healthy heart and Nutro is on the forefront
of current taurine research.

With all due respect here, what current research would that be? I'm not aware
that Nutro conducts any research other than in-house palatability tests?

Nutro is committed to using the best ingredients to make the best pet
foods.

Shouldn't your company be more concerned w/ limiting nutrient excesses that are
risk factors for many diseases in animals instead of being worried about what
ingredients sound good to people?

Our products are formulated based on the latest research and
scientific findings regarding dog and cat nutrition.

Is this research conducted by your company or somebody else?

When we say Natural Choice is THE BEST DOG FOOD IN
THE WORLD we mean it.

I'm sure your company believes that, but why the high phosphorus and calcium
levels in your products?

And you can be absolutely confident that by
feeding Nutro's pet foods you are providing the very best nutrition
available today for your loving pet.

I don't think so...your company is more worried about what ingredients are used
instead of the nutrient levels provided by those foods.

Joe Canuck November 11th 03 01:08 AM

Phil P. wrote:
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Good points, different wording which most of us just glance over without
much thought.

I'm a former Nutro customer as well, and I'm not holding my breathe for
answers here but I thought I would provide the opportunity for Nutro to
provide some answers for us.

I've noted with some interest the wording on a bag of California Natural
Chicken & Rice the following text:

"California Naural Chicken & Rice Cat Food is formulated to meet the
nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (American Association of
Feed Control Officials) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages."

This now tell me two things: That California Natural is not testing via
a feed trial and that it meets the higher growth AAFCO standards for
growth & reproduction. In other words queens & kittens. It is basically
a one size fits all formulation.

Paulette November 11th 03 01:44 AM

Why quote a study on DOGS ,when these are cat owners on this group?
Forgive my ignorance.

Paulette November 11th 03 01:44 AM

Paulette November 11th 03 01:44 AM

Joe Canuck November 11th 03 02:02 AM

Paulette wrote:
Why quote a study on DOGS ,when these are cat owners on this group?
Forgive my ignorance.

Because Nutro also produces cat food. If they are not up to par in one
area, then it is reasonable to expect they may not be up to par in other
areas as well.

Steve Crane November 11th 03 03:28 PM

(Tamara) wrote in message . com...
The article printed in JAVMA is old news. Beginning in 2001, and
continuing today, all of Nutro's Natural Choice products have been
enriched with added, extra taurine to provide insurance to even the
very small number of dogs that may be predisposed to DCM (less than
0.5%). As you can see by the enclosed chart, Natural Choice Lamb Meal
& Rice contains more taurine than other competitive brands. In fact,
as much as 180% more.

Perhaps you could let us know when you made the changes to Nutro
Natural Choice Senior and Lite? Product still in the stores does not
yet show the addition of taurine to the ingredient label, yet your web
site shows taurine added. Is this a fairly recent change to these two
products?

Steve Crane November 12th 03 02:55 PM

"Phil P." wrote in message news:qv-dnXbXV8pDky2iRVn-

It's interesting that Nutro mailed out a four page letter to nearly
every vet in the country making similar claims as Tamarra did above.
The interesting part was it was signed by a Cathy Machlik Ph.D. No
veterinarian listed anywhere, and when you do a Google on Dr. Machlik
you find she hasn't published anything. Research from Nutro - Sounds
like a great definition of an oxymoron to me.

KellyH November 12th 03 10:58 PM

"Steve Crane" wrote in message
om...

Perhaps you could let us know when you made the changes to Nutro
Natural Choice Senior and Lite? Product still in the stores does not
yet show the addition of taurine to the ingredient label, yet your web
site shows taurine added. Is this a fairly recent change to these two
products?

Oh great.. now Nutro's a bad cat food. I have been feeding my cats Nutro
Natural Choice Lite for the past several months, and all has appeared to be
well. No funky stools, Bartleby hasn't had any UTI's, all the cats like it.
How does this new formula of Nutro affect urinary tract health? That is one
of my main concerns. I need a cat food that will promote good urinary tract
health, preferably a light formula, two of my cats need to to lose weight,
and also promote good dental health. I thought I had found that with the
Natural Choice Lite. I'm not adverse to mixing two foods together, as long
as they don't counteract each other.
I also feed one small can of Wellness a day, split between 5 cats, as a
treat, and also to give Bartleby more moisture in his diet.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

GAUBSTER2 November 13th 03 03:18 PM

From: "KellyH"

Oh great.. now Nutro's a bad cat food.

I need a cat food that will promote good urinary tract
health, preferably a light formula, two of my cats need to to lose weight,
and also promote good dental health. I thought I had found that with the
Natural Choice Lite.

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it say
anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250 kcal in
order to be called a LIGHT food. It used to be that foods would call
themselves "lite" or something else when they didn't meet the LIGHT standards.
As for dental health, the only foods that will really positively impact dental
health are foods that carry the VOHC seal. Hill's makes 2 diets that meet this
standard (a prescription diet and Science Diet Oral Care). As for urinary
tract health, it used to be that the Nutro products acidified a cat's urinary
pH output to the point where it was possible to drop below the 6.2-6.4 range
which is considered "normal" in a healthy cat. Just some points to consider.

Steve G November 13th 03 11:57 PM

(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message ...
(...)

Kelly, a couple of things....what is the kcal of Nutro "lite"? Does it say
anywhere on the bag? A true LIGHT cat food should have less than 3,250 kcal
in order to be called a LIGHT food.

3,250kcal per .... ?

As for dental health, the only foods that will really positively impact
dental health are foods that carry the VOHC seal.

Not quite. Foods that carry the VOHC seal have been shown to have a
positive impact on dental health. Foods that do not carry this seal
could be useful for dental health, but they have not submitted to the
VOHC protocols. An example of this is the Iams Dental Diet products
(all Iams dry foods AFAIK). These foods claim a reduction in the rate
of tartar buildup of up to 40%. However, these foods are not yet VOHC
approved, although perhaps they will be in the future.

Hill's makes 2 diets that meet this
standard (a prescription diet and Science Diet Oral Care).

t/d is the Hills prescription product, and it is somewhat low in
calorie density. This may be of interest.

Another VOHC approved food is the Friskies Dental Diet. It also seems
that Iams dry would fit the bill for dental health stuff, even though
it has not yet passed VOHC protocols.

Steve.