CatBanter

-   -   Cat repeatedly vomiting? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=67138)

Anna via CatKB.com February 16th 06 04:52 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

sleep) but this is getting scary and he's lost a lot of weight. He has also
become very affectionate.
He is booked in to have some blood taken for a full bloodwork on Friday
morning but I wonder if anyone can give me an idea what the likely problem
could be? Kidneys? Liver? Cancer? Either way I get a feeling in my bones

Loss of weight and vomiting can be signs of kidney disease (one of mine has
it) but with the proper care and special food he can live for *years* with
it; it is not an automatic death sentence. Mine has had it for 4 years now
and is still the same. The blood profile and urinalysis will show if the
kidneys are failing. If that is what is turns out to be here is a really
good UK site:

http://www.felinecrf.org

Anna

Phil P. February 16th 06 05:32 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the advice but we've already been there. He's half maine

coone
and has always had hairball problems. for the last 2 or 3 years he's

been
getting hairball paste on a few treats every other day. :)

You might want to try giving him the treats a couple 'o few times a day to
keep things moving along.

--

Hmm. Is there anything different about the vomiting, compared to the
previous hairballs?

Nope, just the hair is coming out in little clumps with each vomit instead
of one large one every couple of days. I am wondering if one of these big
hairballs has started to go through the stomach instead of coming back up
and caused a blockage in the intestines or something (gone down too far to
be vomited back up).

Could be. Cats don't have "housekeeper contractions"- like dogs do- that
clean out hair and other indigestible material from the digestive track
between meals . So, if the cat's gastric motility is a little on the slow
side hair can accumulate in the intestinal tract faster than in a cat with
normal gastric motility. This is probably why some cats have chronic
hairball problems and others don't. The problem is probably exacerbated if
the cat has long hair and/or grooms other cats.

If I were you, I'd probably opt for x-rays to rule out an obstruction or
partial obstruction.

Does he have any constipation problems?

Not that I noticed but he goes outside to do that....except for last night
when there was a large log in the place where he does every now and again
poo inside. :(

Unsupervised access to the outdoors really complicates monitoring a cat's
elimination behavior and the diagnosis and treatment of medical problems.
You might want to think about keeping him inside for a few days so you can
monitor him more closely.

Good luck,

Phil

Niel Humphreys February 16th 06 05:37 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Niel Humphreys" wrote in
message ...
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the advice but we've already been there. He's half maine

coone
and has always had hairball problems. for the last 2 or 3 years he's

been
getting hairball paste on a few treats every other day. :)

You might want to try giving him the treats a couple 'o few times a day to
keep things moving along.

Already on that, he's had them twice today and yesterday. Today he's managed
to keep 2 meals down and only puked when he first woke up this morning.

Unsupervised access to the outdoors really complicates monitoring a cat's
elimination behavior and the diagnosis and treatment of medical problems.
You might want to think about keeping him inside for a few days so you can
monitor him more closely.

He'd go up the wall (normally) but since he became ill has not gone outside
for quite a few days. That would also present a problem with my second
oldest cat who, if he can't get out, he will just eliminate there and then
by the door. The 2 kittens are very well behaved though. :)

Good luck,

Thanks Phil. I just had a good look at the site Anna posted and he does seem
to have a lot of the symptoms of CRF, I imagine this will show in his
bloodwork.
--

Niel H

John Doe February 16th 06 06:31 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

"Niel Humphreys" admin sznzozwzdzoznzczozmzpzuztzezrzs.co.uk
wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message

The vet could not find any sign of a problem (no lumps and
normal temperature etc) and has pumped him with what I assume
are anti-biotics and steroids which seemed to work immediately
afterwards as he kept a meal down but is back to being sick all
over the house now.

If you have the time, try feeding him a little bit at a time
frequently. Even if you can't do it forever, try it for a few
days. If you do, please report your results.

Thanks, I free feed my 4 cats so there is always food in a bowl
for them (Hills science plan) so he doesn't really like being
given food when I want him to eat.

How does his preference have anything to do with you trying to stop
his frequent barfing?

They get a tin of soft in the mornings & I put a little bowl in
front of him where he was sleeping just now. He woke up, turned
his nose up, got up and puked some bile by the door (caught it on
a sheet of A3 fortunately).

At the slightest sign, I can wake up from a dead sleep, grab a
Styrofoam plate, and get to where my cat is going to barf.

Your experience sounded exactly like mine, including multiple cats
and free feeding (or feeding a lot at one time. Feeding my cat very small amounts frequently
appears to be working. About one more week of trial and
that will prove it. Too bad you have twice as many cats.

--

Niel H

From: "Niel Humphreys" admin sznzozwzdzoznzczozmzpzuztzezrzs.co.uk
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Cat repeatedly vomiting?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 09:30:51 -0000

[email protected] February 16th 06 06:56 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

Niel Humphreys wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the advice but we've already been there. He's half maine coone
and has always had hairball problems. for the last 2 or 3 years he's been
getting hairball paste on a few treats every other day. :)
--

Hmm. Is there anything different about the vomiting, compared to the
previous hairballs?

Nope, just the hair is coming out in little clumps with each vomit instead
of one large one every couple of days. I am wondering if one of these big
hairballs has started to go through the stomach instead of coming back up
and caused a blockage in the intestines or something (gone down too far to
be vomited back up).

I think that is what was happening with Kira. She had a couple episodes
where she was growling, and she was obviously in pain. It was similar
to a time a few years ago where the vet's exam (massage) solved it, so
I was able to massage her and help her get over it. The first time, she
felt really full. Like an inflated balloon. The second time scared me
because I felt something. She was full, so I felt something that felt
like a ball or large grape. It could have been a hairball trying to
pass. She felt better after the massage, and there was nothing there
when I went to the vet.

So, it could be one hairball is blocking, or partially blocking, the
system, so other food cannot pass. That is probably why Kira was
throwing up. There just wasn't any room in the system. Now that I am
using the hairball stuff, Laxatone, she is doing much better.

Does he have any constipation problems?

Not that I noticed but he goes outside to do that....except for last night
when there was a large log in the place where he does every now and again
poo inside. :(

Does he get growly or look miserable much? Maybe start feeling his
belly every day. Do a massage slowly along his belly and see it feels
different sometimes. Kira felt fine when I took her to the vet, but she
felt wrong both times that she was growly.

What tests has the vet done?

Preliminary at the moment. Temperature, felt around, listened to heart and
breathing, looked down throat. He said that aside from the symptoms I was
describing everything seemed normal. Advised to see if the steroids and
anti-biotics did anything and if not do full bloodwork in case they are
initial symptoms of a bigger problem that isn't yet obvious.
--

I'd get the bloodwork. He;s a senior, so you should get that anyway to
catch stuff early. You might try an x-ray to see if there is a

Also, ask about antacids. Both times that I had a dog and cat on
antibiotics, I was told to give them antacids at the same time. It
could be that the medicine is irritating his stomach.

[email protected] February 16th 06 07:11 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

Niel Humphreys wrote:
"Rene S." wrote in message
ups.com...
Ask your vet about pancreatitis. I just went through this with my
cat--very scary. When he has the bloodwork done, make sure to include
the amalazye and lipase tests too. If they are elevated and the
vomiting continues, this may be a sign of pancreatitis.

Thanks, will do in the morning. The vet mentioned having the full battery of
tests so I will ask him if these are included.

I gave him a double dose of his furball medicine this morning and he managed
to keep some food down this afternoon and has just eaten again..... fingers
crossed.

You might just need to keep him at a higher level. My vet had me start
at 3 inches of the stuff out of the tube every day for a few days and
then a few times a week. She's still having a little bit of a problem,
so I have kept her on it every day and will lower the amount.

You mentioned double dose, but I don't know what your regular dose
sizes are. It may be that increasing it is all you need. It sounds like
you are having some improvement with it.

Niel Humphreys February 16th 06 07:25 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

wrote:

Thanks, I free feed my 4 cats so there is always food in a bowl
for them (Hills science plan) so he doesn't really like being
given food when I want him to eat.

How does his preference have anything to do with you trying to stop
his frequent barfing?

You said try and feed him small bits of food at a time. When food is always
around and he is used to that I can't force feed him when I want him to eat.
Doesn't work with cats. :)

They get a tin of soft in the mornings & I put a little bowl in
front of him where he was sleeping just now. He woke up, turned
his nose up, got up and puked some bile by the door (caught it on
a sheet of A3 fortunately).

At the slightest sign, I can wake up from a dead sleep, grab a
Styrofoam plate, and get to where my cat is going to barf.

All 4 of mine sleep through the night. Q barfs when he wakes up and then
during the day when I am in & out with work. I am rarely around to catch him
but usually come homw to something that needs cleaning up.

Niel H

Niel Humphreys February 16th 06 07:31 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Niel Humphreys wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Does he get growly or look miserable much? Maybe start feeling his
belly every day. Do a massage slowly along his belly and see it feels
different sometimes. Kira felt fine when I took her to the vet, but she
felt wrong both times that she was growly.

Lol, Q is the most cantancerous ill tempered cat I have ever come across.
All hiss and wind though, he never actually attacks, just spits a lot. :)
Seriously he has become the opposite lately, extremely affectionate and soft
which he always was with me but now allows other people to stroke him and
lets me pick him up.

I'd get the bloodwork. He;s a senior, so you should get that anyway to
catch stuff early.

Yes, I think I will get it done on my other 'oldie' who is 13 just in case
though he is in great health at the moment.

Niel H

John Doe February 16th 06 08:40 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

Margarita Salt wrote:

John Doe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

At the slightest sign, I can wake up from a dead sleep, grab a
Styrofoam plate, and get to where my cat is going to barf.

Kami makes an announcement before she barfs. When I hear that
particular yowl, I can usually scooch her onto the linoleum, or
slide newpaper or something under her.

At first, I tried to relocate. I have determined that sliding
something under her barf area is quicker and less traumatic than
grabbing/relocating her. I just have to know where the Styrofoam
plate is located for quick access.

Good luck.

John Doe February 16th 06 08:45 PM

Cat repeatedly vomiting?

wrote:

news:Xns976C7F5FF7EAEfollydom 207.115.17.102...
wrote:

Thanks, I free feed my 4 cats so there is always food in a bowl
for them (Hills science plan) so he doesn't really like being
given food when I want him to eat.

How does his preference have anything to do with you trying to
stop his frequent barfing?

You said try and feed him small bits of food at a time. When food
is always around and he is used to that I can't force feed him
when I want him to eat. Doesn't work with cats. :)

I didn't say anything about force feeding.

It's up to you of course. I realize having four cats makes it more
difficult and maybe even impossible since you are gone during the
day. But I think you're right to be concerned. Vomiting can cause
lung disease, like a reaction to vomit getting into their lungs.

Good luck.

Niel H

From: "Niel Humphreys" admin sznzozwzdzoznzczozmzpzuztzezrzs.co.uk
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav