CatBanter

-   -   OT Pickled herring (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=64133)

Karen November 1st 05 10:19 PM

OT Pickled herring

OK, in an effort to get more Omega 3 without eating too many polluted fish,
I rediscovered the childhood treat of pickled herring, which Dad and I
always shared, putting them on saltines. I DO really like this. I was just
wondering if there was any other way that folks used pickled herring (I
don't want to get bored).

Sardines, anchovies and herring are fairly small and so less likely to have
any pollutants. If people have any ideas that are tres yummy on this little
fishies, please share.

No More Retail November 1st 05 10:36 PM

OT Pickled herring

do you like canapés
if not I got a good recipe for a sandwich

I also have a couple of links that I could share if you would like them

Karen November 1st 05 10:57 PM

OT Pickled herring

Go ahead and post them!

om...

mashauk November 1st 05 11:28 PM

OT Pickled herring

I don't eat fish any more but I remember as a child it was a traditional
Jewish thing to eat - chopped herring. I think it was chopped very fine
with onion and hard boiled egg, not sure what else, we had it on bagels and
it was lovely.

Marcia

No More Retail November 1st 05 11:48 PM

OT Pickled herring

Here is some links and a few of my recipes I have in my book. I probably
will be flames for answering an OT post but oh well enjoy. If you got any
question just ask

Emril did a great casserole on his show here is the link
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._10153,00.html
I used sweet butter, sea salt and 1% milk added a little roasted garlic to
it came out great. there is on the bottom a great recipe on how to pickle
herring. I like to use some old bay seasoning added and use a very coarse
fine white vinegar, sea salt and I never use tap water like he did on the
show use Evian gives it a very distinct taste and cuts the smell down a
little

this one use potatoes and apples but for me I replaced using the apple with
an orange or a lemon When I do onions or garlic in a recipe I roast either
of them to give them a more distinct taste and don't use sweet red potatoes
make to much acid in the meal
http://www.chefs.com/Recipes/RecipeDetails.aspx?id=4711

My recipe for canapés this will cover about six to seven descent size slice
which will make about 12 - 24 square
use your favorite crusty bread some use rye I prefer wheat
With the bread since it is a crusty version make sure you cut a thick width
size than I cut it in halves for easier handling

3 tablespoons of cooking butter room temperature ( most people know this as
unsalted butter)

1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

2 table spoons of finely chopped radishes ( I like to use the cherry belle
in the spring time but being winter you can use plum purple or for a
distinct taste round black Spanish if you can find them)

2 table spoons of onions( use the smaller sweet if you use the black Spanish
radish)

bottle of you favorite herring or your own you need enough to cover each
half make sure you pat the herring dry or the extra moisture will soak the
bread and make it fall apart

Enough capers to put 2 on each piece make sure you drain them really good
not extra moisture is needed in this recipe

Spread the bread with butter and press the buttered side of the bread gently
into the parsley to coat it

In a small bowl combine well the radish and the onion and divide the mixture
among the bread squares.

Roll up each herring strip into a coil like a snake and arrange the herring
and the capers on the bread

Make sure you keep it covered and chilled till time

This one can be two ways one as a lettuce wrap or use the wrap and put it
between 2 slices of a crusty bread for crunch( if you do bread use a little
butter on the bread to keep the insides in place )
take a pound of herring chopped it up to your liking in size 1/2 inch works
best
1 small Idaho potato boil it and peel it cut it into chunks
some chopped onion a little more than 1/4 cup
1 granny smith apple peeled cored and chopped into small pieces
take a dill pickle mince it use zesty for a little bite
1/2 stick of room temperature butter
Your favorite lettuce. I like the big pieces that you can roll into a wrap

Put the herring pieces, potato, onion, pickle, apple and mayonnaise in a
bowl and mix to combine.
Add mayonnaise and mix well.
Than season to your taste with salt and black pepper.
When you do the wraps you can use a little of your favorite dressing as a
dip

Helen Miles November 1st 05 11:59 PM

OT Pickled herring

"No More Retail" wrote in message

Here is some links and a few of my recipes I have in my book. I probably
will be flames for answering an OT post but oh well enjoy. If you got any
question just ask///

No flaming here, LOL. It's Food related, therefore it can't be bad! ;o)

Helen M

Victor Martinez November 2nd 05 12:00 AM

OT Pickled herring

Karen wrote:
I rediscovered the childhood treat of pickled herring, which Dad and I

I never thought I'd see the words "treat" and "pickled fish" in the
same sentence ever! :)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Karen November 2nd 05 12:02 AM

OT Pickled herring

On 2005-11-01 17:48:58 -0600, "No More Retail" said:

[...]

Thanks! That last one looks really interesting.

Karen November 2nd 05 12:03 AM

OT Pickled herring

"Karen" wrote in message
OK, in an effort to get more Omega 3 without eating too many polluted

fish,
I rediscovered the childhood treat of pickled herring, which Dad and I
always shared, putting them on saltines. I DO really like this. I was just
wondering if there was any other way that folks used pickled herring (I
don't want to get bored).

Sardines, anchovies and herring are fairly small and so less likely to

have
any pollutants. If people have any ideas that are tres yummy on this

little
fishies, please share.

That sounds good too!

No More Retail November 2nd 05 12:21 AM

OT Pickled herring

My manager of my central store is Jewish he gave me the idea. I was forced
to play around with it and made it also into a salad by adding some grapes,
pieces of melon and orange when you do that add just a little heavy cream to
it to give richer flavor. Woman and their cravings when pregnant