CatBanter

-   -   Feral Cats in the Winter (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=77180)

[email protected] December 30th 06 02:28 AM

Feral Cats in the Winter

Besides our two "indoor" cats, we have a feral cat who spends most of
his time in our back yard. Adopting another cat isn't in the cards for
us, though we do feed him regularly. He was skin and bones when he
first came around, but now looks healthy, despite being very skiddish
when we open the door to feed him. My question is how concerned should
I be about the winter weather and this cat? We live in Northern
California, where temps rarely dip below 30 degrees. We've taken a cat
carrier and lined it with towels to give him a little shelter at night,
though I've never seen him use it. Do feral cats need a hand in the
winter? Should we provide any other facilities for him, a blanket to
snuggle in, or an actual cat house of some sort?

-Fleemo

Gail December 30th 06 03:15 AM

Feral Cats in the Winter

The ideal is a cat house or a dog house. You can place straw inside and and
face the door away from the wind. You are wonderful to help him.
Gail
ps.com...

Gail December 30th 06 03:17 AM

Feral Cats in the Winter

It is also very important to provide fresh water.
Gail
"Gail" wrote in message
ink.net...
The ideal is a cat house or a dog house. You can place straw inside and
and face the door away from the wind. You are wonderful to help him.
Gail
ps.com...

Wendy December 30th 06 12:02 PM

Feral Cats in the Winter

If you can provide him with a shelter to get in out of the wind and rain he
should be ok. Please also consider getting this boy neutered. You can trap
him with a live trap (these can usually be borrowed from a shelter or rescue
group for this purpose) and check around for a vet who is ok dealing with
ferals. You can go online and search for low cost spay/neuter to find any
voucher programs in your area. Once you get his weight up he will be healthy
enough to be out there reproducing. He'll stay much healthier if he doesn't
engage in that behavior and the cat fights that come with it.

ps.com...

m4816k December 30th 06 12:58 PM

Feral Cats in the Winter

wrote in message
ps.com...
Besides our two "indoor" cats, we have a feral cat who spends most of
his time in our back yard. Adopting another cat isn't in the cards for
us, though we do feed him regularly. He was skin and bones when he
first came around, but now looks healthy, despite being very skiddish
when we open the door to feed him. My question is how concerned should
I be about the winter weather and this cat? We live in Northern
California, where temps rarely dip below 30 degrees. We've taken a cat
carrier and lined it with towels to give him a little shelter at night,
though I've never seen him use it. Do feral cats need a hand in the
winter? Should we provide any other facilities for him, a blanket to
snuggle in, or an actual cat house of some sort?

-Fleemo

Straw or some similar natural material is best for thermal isolation, that's
why people place it in barns for animals. Avoid fabrics, cause they tend to
soak the moisture from the air in, and become stiff and cold when temps
fall, providing little heat and comfort. Temps you mention are not very low,
and cats who are always outdoors adapt to colder weather rather easily (some
wild varieties even live in places like Siberia or South pole). Still, for
domestics, temps below -10°C are serious.

kraut December 30th 06 01:39 PM

Feral Cats in the Winter

Besides our two "indoor" cats, we have a feral cat who spends most of
his time in our back yard. Adopting another cat isn't in the cards for
us, though we do feed him regularly. He was skin and bones when he
first came around, but now looks healthy, despite being very skiddish
when we open the door to feed him. My question is how concerned should
I be about the winter weather and this cat? We live in Northern
California, where temps rarely dip below 30 degrees. We've taken a cat
carrier and lined it with towels to give him a little shelter at night,
though I've never seen him use it. Do feral cats need a hand in the
winter? Should we provide any other facilities for him, a blanket to
snuggle in, or an actual cat house of some sort?

-Fleemo

I feed strays in Michigan and if they are young and friendly enough or
really old where you can tell they may not make it through a harsh
winter I will take them to a shelter and hope they find a home or I
will try to rehome them if I can get them.

The older ones that are used to life on the streets or are truly feral
I try to provide a place where they can get out of the weather and
make sure they have plenty of dry food available at all the time plus
a can or two of moist cat food a day. The moist usually freezes
during winter months unless they are there to eat when I put it out.
I try to give them the kind in gravy or with a lot of liquid on it so
they get their moisture because some winter days water freezes within
minutes of being put out.

Grawun December 31st 06 06:55 PM

Feral Cats in the Winter

kraut wrote:
Besides our two "indoor" cats, we have a feral cat who spends most of
his time in our back yard. Adopting another cat isn't in the cards for
us, though we do feed him regularly. He was skin and bones when he
first came around, but now looks healthy, despite being very skiddish
when we open the door to feed him. My question is how concerned should
I be about the winter weather and this cat? We live in Northern
California, where temps rarely dip below 30 degrees. We've taken a cat
carrier and lined it with towels to give him a little shelter at night,
though I've never seen him use it. Do feral cats need a hand in the
winter? Should we provide any other facilities for him, a blanket to
snuggle in, or an actual cat house of some sort?

-Fleemo

I feed ferals in Pennsylvania. I made house out of one of those large
rubbermaid storage boxes. I cut a hole in the side and lined it with
carpet scraps. I have never seen them use it but there is a lot of cat
hair inside so I know they do..

Blairomatic January 1st 07 12:01 PM

Feral Cats in the Winter

wrote:
Besides our two "indoor" cats, we have a feral cat who spends most of
his time in our back yard. Adopting another cat isn't in the cards for
us, though we do feed him regularly.

It seems like you already have 'adopted' him!

Blair ;-)

[email protected] January 2nd 07 03:28 AM

Feral Cats in the Winter

Hey, thanks to everyone for their input. :)

Yes indeed, we do offer him fresh water along with the food, though he
seems to prefer drinking out of the bird bath. He's a completely black
cat, and it's so cute to see him stand on his back legs to get a drink
out of the bird bath, his pink tongue dotting in and out of view as if
he's sending morse code or something.

Happy new year!

-Fleemo

Annie Wxill January 2nd 07 04:02 AM

Feral Cats in the Winter

wrote in message
oups.com...
....it's so cute to see him stand on his back legs to get a drink
out of the bird bath, his pink tongue dotting in and out of view as if
he's sending morse code or something.
-Fleemo

I love that description. I'd never would have thought of it that way.
Thanks for posting it.

Annie, who lives with a spoiled black cat