CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cleaning up litter (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=76113)

Mark T.B. Carroll November 18th 06 05:23 PM

Cleaning up litter

Our cats get litter all over the floor. I've not yet managed to find a
vacuum cleaner that picks it up quickly and well. Has anyone found a
good option?

-- Mark

Matthew November 18th 06 05:26 PM

Cleaning up litter

there are "sticky" mats that collect the litter from the cats paws that you
can place around the litter boxes you can find them at any pet store

As for vacuum cleaners if you can find a manual sweeper they are about
the best to use

Ted Davis November 18th 06 05:56 PM

Cleaning up litter

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 12:23:30 -0500, (Mark T.B. Carroll)
wrote:

Our cats get litter all over the floor. I've not yet managed to find a
vacuum cleaner that picks it up quickly and well. Has anyone found a
good option?

I use a short handle fine plastic fiber broom and stand-up dustpan.
Unfortunately, nearly all the stand up dustpans you will be able to
find are really bad and spill the litter when you try to dump them.
There is at least one off-brand that locks in position, but they can
be hard or impossible to find.

After a through going over with the broom, I can mop the floor with a
string mop and wringer bucket.

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead

Judy November 19th 06 05:42 AM

Cleaning up litter

"Mark T.B. Carroll" wrote in message
Our cats get litter all over the floor. I've not yet managed to find a
vacuum cleaner that picks it up quickly and well. Has anyone found a
good option?

First, I use a small broom and dust pan, then I vacuum. Works for me! Takes
less time than doing laundry, the dishes or the car.

kraut November 20th 06 03:12 PM

Cleaning up litter

I have found that the Bissell 2 brush sweeper like the ones
restaurants to clean crumbs works great for me and beats dragging out
the upright every time they use the box and with 4 cats and 3 boxes
(One in each room but kitchen) the sweeper gets a lot of use!! Plus
the cats like to chase it which they don't do with the vac. I go
through a couple of the sweepers a years because after a while the
brushes do not pick up like when new.

How it works may depend on the type of carpet you have. I have like
a VERY short nap - almost like indoor/outdoor like restaurants use.

[email protected] November 20th 06 09:46 PM

Cleaning up litter

Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
Our cats get litter all over the floor. I've not yet managed to find a
vacuum cleaner that picks it up quickly and well. Has anyone found a
good option?

If your cats use covered litter boxes, there are "doormats" to place
just outside the opening. They are ribbed and cause the litter to fall
out of the cat's paw onto the "doormat" where it can easily be cleaned
up.

Lesley November 24th 06 11:51 PM

Cleaning up litter

Mark T.B. Carroll wrote:
Our cats get litter all over the floor. I've not yet managed to find a
vacuum cleaner that picks it up quickly and well. Has anyone found a
good option?

I just use my Dyson but for that area I put the narrow pipe on (I think
it's called a crevice tool) and that works every time

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Mark T.B. Carroll June 28th 07 05:33 PM

Cleaning up litter

"Matthew" writes:

there are "sticky" mats that collect the litter from the cats paws that you
can place around the litter boxes you can find them at any pet store

Mmmmm, we have a couple of large ones to make them pretty unavoidable;
they do help some, I think.

As for vacuum cleaners if you can find a manual sweeper they are about
the best to use

Mmmm, so far I'm finding a dustpan and broom the best option.

-- Mark