CatBanter

-   -   cat coughs while purring (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=22598)

Gail Futoran December 19th 04 05:46 AM

cat coughs while purring

Did the google search, found zip, so:
My 7 month old, spayed (month ago), FeLV+ otherwise
in apparent good health (all vaccinations up to date
except FeLV) female Burmese has a strong tendency
to cough during heavy petting sessions. (That
sounds weird but you know what I mean...)

She doesn't always do it, only about 90% of the time,
usually when I'm scratching her head (favorite spot).
It's frustrating for her (and me), and when I stop petting
her she'll cough a bit more then stop until she purrs
heavily again.

The cough sounds chest-deep, like a hacking cough.
She might have a touch of URI (weepy eyes) for which
she's been treated in recent past but not presently. The
coughing-while-purring event has been going on for
at least a month, maybe more - I can't recall when I
first noticed it, just that it's not recent.

Appetite fine, activity level very high (leaps tall walls
at a single bound...), no other symptoms. She is a
small cat, weighing a bit more than 5 lbs, but her
mom was petite, too.

Any thoughts?

Gail

Karen Chuplis December 19th 04 06:08 AM

Seems to me that it is important to get an FeLV cat in pronto any time
something unusual crops up. Mostly, their illness is treated symptomatically
and she should probably been on something.

Mary December 19th 04 07:04 AM

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
[...]

My asthmatic cat sometimes has coughing fits (the deep sort of
heaving you are talking about) some times when she exerts
herself. Lots of purring or a surprise hiss will do it. Have a chest
xray done. They can see congestion.

Gail Futoran December 20th 04 03:47 PM

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
Seems to me that it is important to get an FeLV cat in pronto any time
something unusual crops up. Mostly, their illness is treated
symptomatically
and she should probably been on something.

Except the "coughing" isn't unusual in the sense
of something that just came up - it's been going on
for at least a month, and otherwise she's as healthy
and active as I've ever seen a kitten. Seriously, she
*can* leap tall walls in a single bound with nary a
sweat/pant.

She's been into the vet for weepy eyes (treated
for URI), runny stool (treated for diarrhea); to
the animal eye doctor ($75 initial visit) to check
out a minor problem on one eye she's had since
she was 3 months old! I don't actually avoid the
vet(s), ok? She got a thorough checkup before
she was spayed a month ago and nothing was
off kilter - and she was coughing then.

Just to make life interesting, she did ZERO
coughing during heavy petting sessions today.
::shrug::

Gail

Gail Futoran December 20th 04 03:47 PM

"Mary" wrote
My asthmatic cat sometimes has coughing fits (the deep sort of
heaving you are talking about) some times when she exerts
herself. Lots of purring or a surprise hiss will do it. Have a chest
xray done. They can see congestion.

Thanks for the info. So far my kitten doesn't
have any symptoms of asthma, so I will wait
and see. She got a thorough exam including
blood workup before spaying a month ago and
everything checked out normal.

Gail

Karen Chuplis December 21st 04 01:16 AM

in article , Gail
Futoran at wrote on 12/20/04 8:47AM:

[...]

I wonder if the air is extra dry. You might just try running a steam
vaporizor.

Mary December 21st 04 02:39 AM

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Mary" wrote
My asthmatic cat sometimes has coughing fits (the deep sort of
heaving you are talking about) some times when she exerts
herself. Lots of purring or a surprise hiss will do it. Have a chest
xray done. They can see congestion.

Thanks for the info. So far my kitten doesn't
have any symptoms of asthma, so I will wait
and see. She got a thorough exam including
blood workup before spaying a month ago and
everything checked out normal.

Gail

Gail--asthma is funny. It's different for each individual, cats and
people. Some cats have nothing but coughs, but the coughs
are symptoms of the same type of constriction that is happening
when other asthmatics wheeze. I think the only way to know is
a chest xray--for cats, anyway. The thing about it is, if she is not
getting enough air it could really make her feel lousy, whether or
not she ever does anything more dramatic than coughing. Hope it's
just a tickle for her.

Mary December 21st 04 02:40 AM

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
Seems to me that it is important to get an FeLV cat in pronto any time
something unusual crops up. Mostly, their illness is treated
symptomatically
and she should probably been on something.

Except the "coughing" isn't unusual in the sense
of something that just came up - it's been going on
for at least a month, and otherwise she's as healthy
and active as I've ever seen a kitten. Seriously, she
*can* leap tall walls in a single bound with nary a
sweat/pant.

So can my asthmatic cat. She zips around like a maniac--
until she has an attack.

She's been into the vet for weepy eyes (treated
for URI),

So maybe she has a bit of gunk left from the upper
respiratory infection?

Gail Futoran December 21st 04 10:59 PM

"Mary" wrote in message

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
Seems to me that it is important to get an FeLV cat in pronto any time
something unusual crops up. Mostly, their illness is treated
symptomatically
and she should probably been on something.

Except the "coughing" isn't unusual in the sense
of something that just came up - it's been going on
for at least a month, and otherwise she's as healthy
and active as I've ever seen a kitten. Seriously, she
*can* leap tall walls in a single bound with nary a
sweat/pant.

So can my asthmatic cat. She zips around like a maniac--
until she has an attack.

Problem is, my kitten only coughs during (most) heavy
petting sessions. She can play as long and wildly as
she likes, with me or with the other kitten, and nary a
cough. The cough really is purr-specific.

That doesn't mean it's *not* asthma, or some other
condition associated with FeLV, so I will continue
to monitor her.

She's been into the vet for weepy eyes (treated
for URI),

So maybe she has a bit of gunk left from the upper
respiratory infection?

Could very well be. She still has weepy eyes (which
isn't all that uncommon in Burmese), but then so
did both of my Tonkinese when they were kittens
four years ago. Both got over it eventually.

Oh well, mystery thy name is cat! :)

Thanks again -
Gail

Gail Futoran December 21st 04 10:59 PM

"Karen Chuplis" wrote

I wonder if the air is extra dry. You might just try running a steam
vaporizor.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep that in mind
if she starts coughing other than while being petted.

Gail