CatBanter

-   -   uninary problem with proteus.. (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=79212)

[email protected] April 4th 07 10:18 PM

uninary problem with proteus..

hi all..

i have a persian cat which untill now was rather fine, lately he
started peeing near the door.

he isn't fixed, but we found the problem was his urine had a high ph
level (7+) and a slight infection from a virus called proteus.

up untill now he has been getting only dry foot of sicene diet
hairball control, for water we gave a pet fountain, we had the
original, now we are trying 'catit' (as he insists on drinking running
water). we gave him only mineral waters, but now we trying regular
tap, someong suggested that maybe the fountaint collects infection.

he cannot ingest any sort of anitbiotics,and the only thing to fight
off the infection was 2 weeks injections, but i'm told that's not good
on the long run.

bloodwork is ok, so is the kidney ultra sound. no crystals so far.
the only thing running down the ph is hills s/d but i'm told that also
not healthy for the long run.

c/d won't work as well, so the only thing for now is uninary+ s/d. i'm
hoping maybe to get a mild balance maybe s/d twice a week, so it won't
have major effect and for the rest of the week urinary.

we don't seem to find the cause of this..

Catlover Medway via CatKB.com April 15th 07 11:59 AM

uninary problem with proteus..

http://www.fabcats.org/flutd.html

According to the above, Persians are predisposed. Can you talk to a reputable
breeder?

The position, near the door, could also be an indication of territorial
insecurity, and he'd be a happier and more relaxed cat if he was neutered.