CatBanter

-   -   Cat Treats (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113099)

Cheryl[_6_] April 11th 16 11:09 AM

Cat Treats

A vet suggested to me that I put food in those plastic balls with holes
in them so that my rather large cats would get some exercise. I'm not
sure that this was ever effective, since I put treats in them to
increase the cats' motivation, and the cats seemed to expect the treats
in addition to their meals.

Sam (RB) always took charge, and ensures that plenty of treats were
removed from the ball, while Cinnamon lurked in the vicinity waiting to
sneak a piece or two.

I found a bag of cat treats after Sam died, and thought, well, I suppose
I should see if Cinnamon can figure out how to get them. I put some in a
ball - this one is almost like the one shown:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...all-64922R.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/jjm5s7p

So Cinnamon hunkered down next to it and stared at it. You could almost
see the wheels turning in her head. She started batting at it
tentatively, pausing, thinking a bit, then patting it in a different
way. I'm still not sure she quite understands why some patting produces
treats and some doesn't (she's not exactly an Einstein of cats, tending
more to beauty than brain), but she's managed to become quite efficient
at getting treats!

--
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_] April 11th 16 04:34 PM

Cat Treats

On 4/11/2016 6:09 AM, Cheryl wrote:
A vet suggested to me that I put food in those plastic balls with holes
in them so that my rather large cats would get some exercise. I'm not
sure that this was ever effective, since I put treats in them to
increase the cats' motivation, and the cats seemed to expect the treats
in addition to their meals.

Seems sort of counter-productive for a vet to suggest since the cats
were already large and giving them treats even in a ball
toy/dispenser... you know what I mean. :)

I found a bag of cat treats after Sam died, and thought, well, I suppose
I should see if Cinnamon can figure out how to get them. I put some in a
ball - this one is almost like the one shown:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...all-64922R.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/jjm5s7p

So Cinnamon hunkered down next to it and stared at it. You could almost
see the wheels turning in her head. She started batting at it
tentatively, pausing, thinking a bit, then patting it in a different
way. I'm still not sure she quite understands why some patting produces
treats and some doesn't (she's not exactly an Einstein of cats, tending
more to beauty than brain), but she's managed to become quite efficient
at getting treats!

Cinnamon will puzzle it out. :) But is that treat-ball working for
exercise or is it just a treat dispenser?

Buffy is plump. I haven't been able to effect a change in her weight,
which is about 13 lbs. I'm sure I'm not over-feeding her, but then this
is only the second cat I've ever been owned by. Persia (RB) required
prescription food almost right off the bat.

Buffy has a stout stubby body with short legs. Maybe she's supposed to
look like a little orange barrel with striped legs. ;)

Jill

Cheryl[_6_] April 11th 16 05:24 PM

Cat Treats

On 2016-04-11 1:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 4/11/2016 6:09 AM, Cheryl wrote:
A vet suggested to me that I put food in those plastic balls with holes
in them so that my rather large cats would get some exercise. I'm not
sure that this was ever effective, since I put treats in them to
increase the cats' motivation, and the cats seemed to expect the treats
in addition to their meals.

Seems sort of counter-productive for a vet to suggest since the cats
were already large and giving them treats even in a ball
toy/dispenser... you know what I mean. :)

Possibly the original instructions were "food". I don't really remember
exactly, but I had the idea that they'd use it more and get more
exercise if food they really liked was placed in it.

Cinnamon will puzzle it out. :) But is that treat-ball working for
exercise or is it just a treat dispenser?

Well, now, she certainly moves more when using the treat ball than she
does when strolling over to the bowl on the floor, but whether it's
enough more to count as exercise, I couldn't say! She doesn't get any
other form of exercise than walking to and from her food and water or
the litterbox.

Buffy is plump. I haven't been able to effect a change in her weight,
which is about 13 lbs. I'm sure I'm not over-feeding her, but then this
is only the second cat I've ever been owned by. Persia (RB) required
prescription food almost right off the bat.

Buffy has a stout stubby body with short legs. Maybe she's supposed to
look like a little orange barrel with striped legs. ;)

I think Cinnamon is currently a bit more than that, which makes her too
big, even I have to admit that. When she and Sam were weighed by the vet
a few years ago, I pointed out that at least she weighed less than Sam,
and the vet replied "But she's got a shorter wheelbase!".

I tended to slip back into the habit of free-feeding them, and of course
when Sam was sick, I was so anxious to get some food into him that I
stopped worrying about diets. I'm trying again to feed Cinnamon only the
recommended amount morning and evening, carefully measured out, well,
plus a few treats. She doesn't much appreciate this approach to
cat-feeding. That cat adores her food, and also sometimes moans that the
food isn't quite good enough although if I hold out and leave it there,
she eats it. Now that she's using the treat ball, maybe I'll put part of
her measured allotment of dry food in it.

--
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_] April 11th 16 10:22 PM

Cat Treats

On 4/11/2016 12:24 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 2016-04-11 1:04 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I like that term! A shorter wheelbase. ;) Yep, that describes Buffy.

I tended to slip back into the habit of free-feeding them, and of course
when Sam was sick, I was so anxious to get some food into him that I
stopped worrying about diets. I'm trying again to feed Cinnamon only the
recommended amount morning and evening, carefully measured out, well,
plus a few treats. She doesn't much appreciate this approach to
cat-feeding. That cat adores her food, and also sometimes moans that the
food isn't quite good enough although if I hold out and leave it there,
she eats it. Now that she's using the treat ball, maybe I'll put part of
her measured allotment of dry food in it.

I understand completely. Persia had a really sensitive tummy and almost
from the start lots of health problems. Hence the expensive
prescription food.

I really didn't know what to do with Buffy. She was already a little
chubby when I adopted her. She gets a small portion of canned food
every day plus 1/2 a cup of dry, portioned out morning and evening. No
matter how much we play/exercise she is bound to be a chubby little cat.

Jill

Bastette April 12th 16 01:27 AM

Cat Treats

jmcquown wrote:

On 4/11/2016 12:24 PM, Cheryl wrote:

I really didn't know what to do with Buffy. She was already a little
chubby when I adopted her. She gets a small portion of canned food
every day plus 1/2 a cup of dry, portioned out morning and evening. No
matter how much we play/exercise she is bound to be a chubby little cat.

That might just be the case. If she's getting plenty of exercise and
not getting too much to eat, maybe that's just her normal size and shape.
Does she seem comfortable, physically? Does she move with ease? If so,
maybe she's in good health and you don't have to worry about it.

One thing you could consider, if you're not already doing so, is to
buy grain-free cat food. Cats do not need them, and grains could cause
unnecessary weight gain. I don't know if it's available where you live,
but you can definitely order online. It's not cheap, though, so I guess
it depends on your budget.

--
Joyce

There is no alternative to being yourself.

jmcquown[_2_] April 12th 16 03:27 AM

Cat Treats

On 4/11/2016 8:27 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

On 4/11/2016 12:24 PM, Cheryl wrote:

I really didn't know what to do with Buffy. She was already a little
chubby when I adopted her. She gets a small portion of canned food
every day plus 1/2 a cup of dry, portioned out morning and evening. No
matter how much we play/exercise she is bound to be a chubby little cat.

That might just be the case. If she's getting plenty of exercise and
not getting too much to eat, maybe that's just her normal size and shape.
Does she seem comfortable, physically? Does she move with ease? If so,
maybe she's in good health and you don't have to worry about it.

She seems very comfortable physically. Unlike Persia, who was
constantly horking up hairballs and seemed to have an upset tummy often,
Buffy is very healthy. She's just a round short-legged cat. ;)

One thing you could consider, if you're not already doing so, is to
buy grain-free cat food. Cats do not need them, and grains could cause
unnecessary weight gain. I don't know if it's available where you live,
but you can definitely order online. It's not cheap, though, so I guess
it depends on your budget.

She likes her dry Purina One Indoor Advantage cat food. The first
ingredient is turkey. I don't think a half a cup of that a day is
excessive.

Jill

Bastette April 12th 16 06:41 PM

Cat Treats

jmcquown wrote:

Bastette wrote:

One thing you could consider, if you're not already doing so, is to
buy grain-free cat food. Cats do not need them, and grains could cause
unnecessary weight gain. I don't know if it's available where you live,
but you can definitely order online. It's not cheap, though, so I guess
it depends on your budget.

She likes her dry Purina One Indoor Advantage cat food. The first
ingredient is turkey. I don't think a half a cup of that a day is
excessive.

If you don't think it's necessary for her to lose weight - and it sounds
like you don't - then my suggestion about grain-free food is moot.

--
Joyce

"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings

MaryL[_2_] April 12th 16 09:17 PM

Cat Treats

On 4/12/2016 12:41 PM, Bastette wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Bastette wrote:

One thing you could consider, if you're not already doing so, is to
buy grain-free cat food. Cats do not need them, and grains could cause
unnecessary weight gain. I don't know if it's available where you live,
but you can definitely order online. It's not cheap, though, so I guess
it depends on your budget.

She likes her dry Purina One Indoor Advantage cat food. The first
ingredient is turkey. I don't think a half a cup of that a day is
excessive.

If you don't think it's necessary for her to lose weight - and it sounds
like you don't - then my suggestion about grain-free food is moot.

Actually, a suggestion for grain-free food is excellent, regardless of
weight. Cats are obligate carnivores and do not digest carbohydrates.
Also, cats that later develop diabetes are usually cats that have been
fed a diet of dry food.

MaryL

Cheryl[_3_] April 13th 16 02:40 AM

Cat Treats

[...]

Only one of my cats, Scarlett, figured it out. But Bonnie figured out
to follow her around and eat up the treats Scarlett knocked loose and
didn't get to in time. LOL

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Cheryl[_3_] April 13th 16 02:42 AM

Cat Treats

On 4/11/2016 12:24 PM, Cheryl wrote:

Possibly the original instructions were "food". I don't really remember
exactly, but I had the idea that they'd use it more and get more
exercise if food they really liked was placed in it.

For sure you can replace some of the food placed in the bowl into the
toy. So they still get the normal mealtime ritual but anything else they
have to work for. I think it's a great idea.

--
Cheryl