CatBanter

-   -   OT - Lauren - Email problem (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13942)

Liz October 17th 03 06:54 PM

OT - Lauren - Email problem

Lauren, I sent you two e-mails, one last night and one today with some
network suggestions but they keep bouncing back (Remote host said: 500
SYNTAX ERROR, COMMAND UNRECOGNIZED). :(

PawsForThought October 18th 03 03:24 AM

From: (Liz)

Lauren, I sent you two e-mails, one last night and one today with some
network suggestions but they keep bouncing back (Remote host said: 500
SYNTAX ERROR, COMMAND UNRECOGNIZED). :(

I got one of them, but it cut off most of the content. I've been having
problems myself with Yahoo the past couple of days. Thanks for sending. Maybe
you could try to resend tomorrow? Basically, I'm at the point where I've got
the 2 computers communicating and we can share data. One computer can go
online the other can't. DLink tech told me I might have a corrupted TCP/IP
installation but in WinXP, it won't let me uninstall it. I've been told you
can uninstall through DOS but they wouldn't tell me how. Each computer has a
fast ethernet PCI card, then are connected to a DLink broadband router, and
then the main computer is connected to a DSL modem. But for some reason, the
other computer can't go online.

You could try sending the email to

Thanks, Liz! :)

Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

MacCandace October 18th 03 04:46 AM

DLink tech told me I might have a corrupted TCP/IP
installation but in WinXP, it won't let me uninstall it. I've been told you
can uninstall through DOS but they wouldn't tell me how. Each computer has a
fast ethernet PCI card, then are connected to a DLink broadband router, and
then the main computer is connected to a DSL modem.

Yikes, Lauren, you sound like a geek!

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Cheryl October 18th 03 05:14 AM

In ,
PawsForThought composed with style:

I got one of them, but it cut off most of the content. I've been
having problems myself with Yahoo the past couple of days. Thanks
for sending. Maybe you could try to resend tomorrow? Basically,
I'm at the point where I've got the 2 computers communicating and
we can share data. One computer can go online the other can't.

If you worked with tech support maybe they had you do something that
changed your IP address of the connected systems' nic card. I don't
know what is going on but I do know networking.

DLink tech told me I might have a corrupted TCP/IP installation

That is always the first thing tech support tells you.

but
in WinXP, it won't let me uninstall it.

I have XP on my desktop; I'll have to see if I can figure it out.

So I take it you're unable to get POP3 mail to go through your
"server" PC to another PC?

-=Dan=-© October 18th 03 12:56 PM

You should have both the PC's connected to the router, then the DSL modem
connected to the router, not the PC.

HTH

Dan

PawsForThought October 18th 03 03:31 PM

From: "Cheryl"

PawsForThought composed with style:

I'm at the point where I've got the 2 computers communicating and
we can share data. One computer can go online the other can't.

If you worked with tech support maybe they had you do something that
changed your IP address of the connected systems' nic card. I don't
know what is going on but I do know networking.

They did have me set a static IP address for the network card and also a static
address for DNS server. The 2 computers can ping each other fine, but on the
one computer that can't sign onto the internet, if I ping yahoo.com, it won't
work. I honestly know very little about networks and they are great when they
work, but boy, when they don't....argh!

DLink tech told me I might have a corrupted TCP/IP installation

That is always the first thing tech support tells you.

but
in WinXP, it won't let me uninstall it.

I have XP on my desktop; I'll have to see if I can figure it out.

So I take it you're unable to get POP3 mail to go through your
"server" PC to another PC?

Um, I'm not sure what POP3 mail is. Is this something like Outlook or Windows
messenger?
________