CatBanter

-   -   Cats with yellow diarrhea smelly also (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17141)

mekohler April 23rd 04 03:12 PM

Cats with yellow diarrhea smelly also

We have brought in several kittens from some local strays/ferrals that
we have been getting trapped and fixed and release back to my area for
a year or so. Recently the young cats 9 months to 15 months are
having very liquid yellow diarrhea that is very smelly. These cats
have been fixed and they recieved shots from the vet when we had them
fixed. These cats have not been outside since we caught them. (They
were 6-8 weeks old when brought inside) I currently have 3 cats 9
months old, 2 cats 15 months old, and my actual pets 1 cat 8 years old
and 1 cat 3 years old. I believe the older cats are not having the
current problem, however it is hard to tell because of the number of
cats. We are trying to place the younger cats with homes, but I am
worried what is the problem with them and do not want my pets to get
sick if they are not already. The Diarrhea has been getting worse for
a couple of weeks, I think it might of been one cat and spreading, but
I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. I know I need to get a
vet involved, but the expense is worry some. Thank you in advance for
your help. Mekohler - B'ham AL

Lotte April 23rd 04 04:23 PM

There are so many causes for diarrhea, it's impossible to know what's going
on with these cats without a fecal exam by a vet. Given that they are
stray/ferals, I would guess they have some kind of intestinal parasite, and
since they all have it, it's likely contagious. Make sure you keep your
healthy cats separated, use separate litter boxes & feeding dishes, etc. --
L.

m...

Sunflower April 24th 04 04:53 PM

"mekohler" wrote in message
m...
[...]

It's most likely giardia or coccidea, both which need medicines to be
administered in order for the parasites to be killed and the animals to get
well. Take them to a vet for a fecal sample to diagnose what the issue is
and buy the medicine. No one is going to adopt a sick cat, and both
parasites can be spread to humans.

frlpwr April 24th 04 09:50 PM

mekohler wrote:

[...]

My guess would be coccidia. The treatment of choice is Albon which is,
I believe, available over the internet without a prescription. Don't
purchase the kind intended for poultry and other livestock. It is a
soluble form meant to be added to the water supply and, trust me, the
taste is so bitter that only an animal without any other water source
would drink it. The oral suspension for cats is a yummy flavor. Pills
can be had at most vet clinics.

Coccidia will not clear up on its own, though older cats seem better
able to tolerate a light coccidia load. It can be fatal to young
kittens. Be sure to scoop and disinfect litterboxes frequently as
oocysts are shed in the stool and lay dormant for a few days before
"blossoming".