CatBanter

-   Cats - misc (http://www.catbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bengal Cats:are they hybrids or are they true domestic cats? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=24704)

HRFLTiger February 24th 05 09:32 AM

Bengal Cats:are they hybrids or are they true domestic cats?

Troy Mangum wrote:
Please help me. From reviewing the various websites online regarding

this
breed I have having trouble understanding one thing.

Is this an actual hybrid between a domestic cat and a wild cat of

some
sort.//

In a word, yes. They are acutally hybrids between the wild Asian
Leopard cat and the domestic cat. Most bengal pets are several
generations removed from the original crosses and F1 & F2 offspring,
but all of them have the wild genes of the asian leopard cat to one
extent or another.

The bengal owners out there will be able to tell you how they're
different to normal domestic moggies!

Helen M