CatBanter

-   -   Poor abandoned kitten! (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=99698)

jmc February 26th 10 12:48 AM

Poor abandoned kitten!

So, someone at work today mentions they've seen a black kitten hanging
out near one of the entrances and has anyone else seen it?

Not me, I walk by that entrance every morning. But then again, I'm not
looking for a cat, and I'm walking in at 6:00am when it is still very,
very dark.

Anyway, a couple of folks have seen this kitten. I don't tend to keep
catfood at work, so I went off to the cafeteria and picked up a
breakfast sausage or two, and wandered outside. I didn't see the
kitten, but found a hiding place, and put sausages there (yea, I know,
but it was the best I could do). Checked a couple hours later - no sign
the kitten's been there, but then again that might be his night spot, dunno.

Someone said he looked a little older, but the pawprints in the snow
look like a small kitten. I'm fairly mad at some unknown person - my
work place is essentially surrounded by forest and it's unlikely that a
kitten could have wandered into there by accident - best guess, someone
dumped it there at work (grrrr).

I went again at lunchtime, and checked as I left, and no sign of the
kitten - sausages are untouched & no new tracks. Nobody else has seen
him today either. I hope that someone was able to entice him and gave
him a nice warm place to sleep tonight, but I fear the worse. The place
he's chosen to hang out is the edge of a parking lot - so there's
worries of him getting hit, or worse yet taking refuge in an engine
block. Or he might have gone into the sewer, or already died of cold or
starvation. I simply don't know at this point.

I don't have a live catch cage and I don't even know if the kitten's
still there. I'll leave a couple days' worth of actual cat food at
that spot tomorrow morning, and check at lunchtime, but if I can't find
him I'm afraid he's on his own for the weekend. I told the folks I
chatted with that if someone can catch him, I'll at least have the
kitten vetted and spayed/neutered as appropriate, and hopefully give him
a good home. If I can find signs that he's still around, I'll try to
find someone with a live trap and get permission to put one out next
week, when we can monitor it.

I worry about him though - his hiding place is just a little cave made
by deep snow melting around a solid sort of bench. At least it's
something, but it doesn't look very warm.

I haven't even SEEN this kitten, and yet I'm still worried sick about
it. Please send warm purrs for the invisikitten!

jmc

barb February 26th 10 05:24 PM

Poor abandoned kitten!

Keep looking. That's how I got my beautiful Sapphire cat. Just some meows
in the early morning until one day I saw a girl playing with her. She was a
stray who could have gotten lost in a storm but actually was declawed (I
hate that) so someone apparently had planned to keep her. My son hung her
picture in our clubhouse for a week and then we kept her. She turned out to
be my guardian angel for 15 years. Sometimes the best pet you could have
just "turns up".

Barb

Rene February 26th 10 10:28 PM

Poor abandoned kitten!

Yes, keep trying! Can you call a rescue group or local shelter to see
if you can rent/borrow a trap?

jmc February 27th 10 12:20 AM

Poor abandoned kitten!

Suddenly, without warning, Rene exclaimed (2/26/2010 4:28 PM):
Yes, keep trying! Can you call a rescue group or local shelter to see
if you can rent/borrow a trap?

I am. First visit to the hiding place, I thought it hadn't been back
and feared the worse. Later though, a coworker mentioned they'd seen it
ducking into a sewer drain - and when I rechecked where I'd thrown the
only food I could find (sausage links and a pattie) I realized the link
I'd tossed furthest into the "cave" was gone, and the pattie had been moved.

I don't work the weekend, but brought in a dry food sample that Meep
can't eat anyway (it's a good quality meat-based food), opened the top
of the bag and pushed it into the space. It'll be easy enough on Monday
to tell if the food's been touched, hopefully.

Someone at work has a trap, so Monday I'll see about arranging to trap it.

jmc