CatBanter

-   -   Rebuilding a scratching post (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=79615)

---MIKE--- April 22nd 07 02:01 PM

Rebuilding a scratching post

One of the cats (Amber) had just about torn the small scratching post to
shreds. Thursday I bought 65 feet of sisal and Saturday I rewound the
post. It looks like brand new but so far it hasn't been used.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

MaryL April 22nd 07 03:15 PM

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
One of the cats (Amber) had just about torn the small scratching post to
shreds. Thursday I bought 65 feet of sisal and Saturday I rewound the
post. It looks like brand new but so far it hasn't been used.

---MIKE---

Cats often prefer sisal that has been "used." Give them some time, and they
will gradually start to use it again -- and you will probably find that it
will get more use once it gets a little "shredded."

MaryL

mlbriggs April 22nd 07 05:30 PM

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 09:01:45 -0400, ---MIKE--- wrote:

One of the cats (Amber) had just about torn the small scratching post to
shreds. Thursday I bought 65 feet of sisal and Saturday I rewound the
post. It looks like brand new but so far it hasn't been used.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I am curious: What size sisal and did you use any glue to anchor or
fasten it? Be assured it will be "discovered" one of these days. MLB

[email protected] April 22nd 07 08:50 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:

One of the cats (Amber) had just about torn the small scratching post to
shreds. Thursday I bought 65 feet of sisal and Saturday I rewound the
post. It looks like brand new but so far it hasn't been used.

You could rub some catnip on it to encourage them.

Joyce

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) April 22nd 07 10:06 PM

---MIKE--- wrote:

One of the cats (Amber) had just about torn the small scratching post to
shreds. Thursday I bought 65 feet of sisal and Saturday I rewound the
post. It looks like brand new but so far it hasn't been used.

Try spraying it with liquid catnip. (I found some at
Christmastime that comes in a non-aerosol spray bottle.)

---MIKE--- April 23rd 07 12:01 AM

Rebuilding a scratching post

MLB asked:

I am curious: What size sisal and did
you use any glue to anchor or fasten
it?

I use 1/4 inch sisal. I used a staple to fasten it at the bottom. Then
I wound it as tight as possible and used another staple at the top. I
also put a dab of epoxy on the staple at the top so the sisal wouldn't
slip.