CatBanter

-   -   What Do you do? A Poll (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23327)

Rrb January 15th 05 09:52 PM

Lorraine wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:15:56 GMT, O J wrote:

I'm retired from the phone company. snipped

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and this looks like a good
place to jump in. I currently work for a phone company, and have 5
months and 5 days until I get my 30. Not that I plan on going anywhere
when I get the 30 (I hope), but it will be nice to have. I'm a central
office type, primarily switching. However, with all the downsizing
within the last few years, I've been thrown into transport side also.
I've actually enjoyed the change. I can only tell of critters found in
the power rooms and cable vaults. I've managed to stay out of manholes.

I am currently owned by three lively kitties, Lucy, Indie and Ty. They
just took over the household last month after they all spent time at a
shelter. I have one that wants to kill the other two, but other than
that we're all doing well now. They can be seen at
http://www.raineforest.com/gallery/thecats

L.

Welcome to the group. Your cats are very pretty. Your cat TY looks alot
my cat Andy though if he knew I said that we would probably bring out
the claws of death. You can see him and my female cat Mary he
http://tinyurl.com/487xm. Andy is 3 1/2 years old and Mary is at least 2
years old. Both were taken in as strays from my apartment complex
parking lot.

Tanada January 15th 05 09:56 PM

Karen Chuplis wrote:

So what is a good Cabernet Sauvingon this year without tipping $30.00? About
4 years ago I bought a bottle from a little wine dealer here who bought 1
case of some CS from a winery called Souverin. The only case in Nebraska. It
was the only wine he said he'd ever seen under $20.00 that got a 96 rating
from Wine Spectator. It was so good. It made me realize that the pricey
wines are probably very much worth the price. It also went like lightening
so when I went back to get another it was GONE. If I was rich, I would
definitley collect wine. I am wondering if you have ever read the book
"Proof" by Dick Francis. I think you would love it.

Other than the little bit I learned from "Proof." I don't know anything
about wine, other than that we don't like each other. However, that
book was totally awesome and rocked. Can you tell that I have just
about every book Dick Francis ever wrote? He did his research, and was
able to educate at the same time as he entertained.

Pam S. who has as little as possible to do with horsed, though she's a
big DF fan.

Bill Stock January 15th 05 09:59 PM

"Sherry " wrote in message
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth.

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter." There's
word you don't hear anymore.
More recently I managed the art department at a metro newspaper and did ad
design / layout, page layout, etc. Then my health just didn't allow me to
work
anymore.
Now I think I'm what you call a recluse.

Sherry

It's always been my aspiration to be a recluse. :)

Right now I'm a Finance/IT cross.

Tanada January 15th 05 10:12 PM

O J wrote:

Lorraine wrote:

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and this looks like a good
place to jump in.

---------------------snip----------------------

It's always nice to have someone new to share stories with. Here,
they're mostly about kitties, but, as you can tell by this thread,
most anything goes.

Welcome!!!

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Hey, I resemble that remark. Actually, I'm noted for posting polls and
asking unusual questions of everyone in here. It breaks the monotony of
non-stop cat stories and person bashing that is the norm around here. ;-)

Pam S. lying about the non-stop cat stories and person bashing

Tanada January 15th 05 10:15 PM

Lorraine wrote:

I am currently owned by three lively kitties, Lucy, Indie and Ty. They
just took over the household last month after they all spent time at a
shelter. I have one that wants to kill the other two, but other than
that we're all doing well now. They can be seen at
http://www.raineforest.com/gallery/thecats

L.

Welcome. You are owned by some really pretty kitties. As you've lurked
in here for a while, you know what we're like. We don't bite, usually.
We don't flame, often. And, we rarely end our sentences with
prepositions...not.

Pam S. owned by the Fayetteville Five + Calvin the foster cat and Speedy
the d-thing

Lucy's Mom January 15th 05 10:15 PM

Eric, my SO, and I write embedded software for the F-16 fighter.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:15:32 GMT, Tanada
wrote:

Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for
one) and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you
want, but I confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out
of work, you don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to
a Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

Pam S.

Yowie January 15th 05 10:16 PM

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article Kq3Gd.98009$dv1.84483@edtnps89, Mathew Kagis at
wrote on 1/15/05 1:15AM:

SNIP

OOoo. That explains the kitties names!! I would love to be a
sommelier.

I haven't looked up what "sommelier" means yet, and I'm not a wine
fan, but I
think working at a steak house would be a little too much of a good
thing for
me! Yum!

*wondering if she should ask Eric to bring home some steak tonight
... *

You too??? I LOVE steak!!! It's one of my favourite foods ever. I
could *live* on steak. The worst part is that in Thailand they hardly
have any beef, so I only get it when I go to Bangkok. By that time I
have *cravings*, LOL!
BTW, I also love wine. Hehe, my cat's name is Vino.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Monique: Sommelier is a french term for 'Wine Expert', you must take the
course & pass a series of tests to get the diploma (I did do a little
college & university but never finished) brackets being said, it's the

most
difficult peice of education I've ever done. Mostly because it combines

so
many disciplines into one... Geography, history, viniculture,

viticulture,
microclimatology, horticulture, geology, cultural anthropology &
linguistics... I'm sure I'm missing one or 2... Suffice to say, I drank
some VERY expensive wine the day I got my test results.

So what is a good Cabernet Sauvingon this year without tipping $30.00?

About
4 years ago I bought a bottle from a little wine dealer here who bought 1
case of some CS from a winery called Souverin. The only case in Nebraska.

It
was the only wine he said he'd ever seen under $20.00 that got a 96 rating
from Wine Spectator. It was so good. It made me realize that the pricey
wines are probably very much worth the price. It also went like lightening
so when I went back to get another it was GONE. If I was rich, I would
definitley collect wine. I am wondering if you have ever read the book
"Proof" by Dick Francis. I think you would love it.

IMHO, you can't beat an Aussie red. The best one I've ever had was Orlando
Lawson's Padathaway Shiraz (1989) but on the same token, it was AUS$90 per
bottle (worth every cent!), but for plain old value for money, we like
McGuigins's "Black Label Red" for general everyday use.

Yowie

Tanada January 15th 05 10:26 PM

Debbie Wilson wrote:

If anyone's interested, we both have online portfolios at
www.scientific-art.com (me)
and www.medart.co.uk (DH - his is badly in need of an update though)

Deb.

Your art is beautiful. Have you ever worked for US text book companies?
North Carolina uses McGraw-Hill, but I've also seen Harper-Collins
text books out there.

Pam S.

Karen Chuplis January 15th 05 10:28 PM

in article et, Tanada at
wrote on 1/15/05 2:56 PM:

Karen Chuplis wrote:

[...]

There are very very few of his books that aren't among the best books I've
ever read. While they are somehow connected to racing they are not all about
racing which makes them interesting to everyone. They are also amongst some
of the most exciting books I've ever read.

Tanada January 15th 05 10:31 PM

Debbie Wilson wrote:

If anyone's interested, we both have online portfolios at
www.scientific-art.com (me)
and www.medart.co.uk (DH - his is badly in need of an update though)

Deb.

I just checked out your client list. I thought I'd seen some of your
art somewhere. Cumberland County uses Glencoe McGraw-Hill as their
preferred publisher. Your work is in both the middle and high school
text books.

Pam S. thrilled to finally know the artist of so many beautiful
illustrations.