CatBanter

-   -   What Do you do? A Poll (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23327)

Karen Chuplis January 15th 05 10:41 PM

in article , Yowie at
wrote on 1/15/05 3:16 PM:

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article Kq3Gd.98009$dv1.84483@edtnps89, Mathew Kagis at
wrote on 1/15/05 1:15AM:

SNIP

OOoo. That explains the kitties names!! I would love to be a
sommelier.

I haven't looked up what "sommelier" means yet, and I'm not a wine
fan, but I
think working at a steak house would be a little too much of a good
thing for
me! Yum!

*wondering if she should ask Eric to bring home some steak tonight
... *

You too??? I LOVE steak!!! It's one of my favourite foods ever. I
could *live* on steak. The worst part is that in Thailand they hardly
have any beef, so I only get it when I go to Bangkok. By that time I
have *cravings*, LOL!
BTW, I also love wine. Hehe, my cat's name is Vino.
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Monique: Sommelier is a french term for 'Wine Expert', you must take the
course & pass a series of tests to get the diploma (I did do a little
college & university but never finished) brackets being said, it's the

most
difficult peice of education I've ever done. Mostly because it combines

so
many disciplines into one... Geography, history, viniculture,

viticulture,
microclimatology, horticulture, geology, cultural anthropology &
linguistics... I'm sure I'm missing one or 2... Suffice to say, I drank
some VERY expensive wine the day I got my test results.

So what is a good Cabernet Sauvingon this year without tipping $30.00?

About
4 years ago I bought a bottle from a little wine dealer here who bought 1
case of some CS from a winery called Souverin. The only case in Nebraska.

It
was the only wine he said he'd ever seen under $20.00 that got a 96 rating
from Wine Spectator. It was so good. It made me realize that the pricey
wines are probably very much worth the price. It also went like lightening
so when I went back to get another it was GONE. If I was rich, I would
definitley collect wine. I am wondering if you have ever read the book
"Proof" by Dick Francis. I think you would love it.

IMHO, you can't beat an Aussie red. The best one I've ever had was Orlando
Lawson's Padathaway Shiraz (1989) but on the same token, it was AUS$90 per
bottle (worth every cent!), but for plain old value for money, we like
McGuigins's "Black Label Red" for general everyday use.

Yowie

I'm really beginning to like the Cabernet-Shiraz types coming out of
Australia. Lighter than Cab Sauvs but nice.

Mathew Kagis January 15th 05 10:52 PM

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

So what is a good Cabernet Sauvingon this year without tipping $30.00?

About
4 years ago I bought a bottle from a little wine dealer here who bought 1
case of some CS from a winery called Souverin. The only case in Nebraska.

It
was the only wine he said he'd ever seen under $20.00 that got a 96 rating
from Wine Spectator. It was so good. It made me realize that the pricey
wines are probably very much worth the price. It also went like lightening
so when I went back to get another it was GONE. If I was rich, I would
definitley collect wine. I am wondering if you have ever read the book
"Proof" by Dick Francis. I think you would love it.

I'll pick up 'Proof', sounds good. As to an affordable Cab Sauv. Well, as
you're in the USA you have may good options... Here in BC, all wine & booze
is sold through a govenment monopoly, which keeps prices high... But, at
least the selection & service are poor.

Off the top of my head, for 30 usd or less, you should be able to get:
St. Suprey
Clos Du Bois
Clos Du Val
Benziger
J Lohr
Chateau St. Michelle
Coppola Claret (Cabernet Sauvignon dominant boreaux blend) & Yes the winery
is owned by Francis Ford.
Freemark Abbey
Cakebread... Probably over $30

There's a few. By the by, I'm not thrilled with the way Wine Spectator is
going these days, they tend to give the highest ratings to wines from their
largest advertising clients. If you want to get into a good wine mag, start
picking up 'Decanter'...

These are all US wines, I saw Joy's post & Aussie wines are a whole other
post... However, in the under 30's the Piramimma, Rosemount Show
Reserve, Grant Burge... But, Aussie wines are really about Shiraz, Vigonier
& Reisling.... As I said, a whole other post. Enjoy....
--

Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

C Schmidt January 15th 05 10:54 PM

I wandered into a local resort for a summer job 23 years ago! I'm still
trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

Until then, I am (mostly) very happily employed as a Convention Services
Manager. That means I act as a liaison between the person planning the
event and the various hotel departments - rooms, food and beverage,
recreation. It's detail-oriented with lots of deadlines but it's NEVER
boring. (BTW, anytime you have a question about this process I'm happy to
share my knowledge)

Best piece of advice: ALWAYS listen to your caterer!

More info than you asked for:

My husband works in upper management at the same resort - in fact, we met
there. At home we have 7 cats, in order of age: Boomer, Murray, Sallie,
Bunne, Mrs. King, Bear and Davey, 2 parakeets, Blue and Green, and the small
boss of the house, Chickie the Lovebird.

We are awaiting (any day now) our first and probably only grandchild
(daughter).

Cindy

Christina Websell January 15th 05 11:06 PM

"Tanada" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I know we
have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what passes for one)
and so forth. You don't have to be any more specific than you want, but I
confess to being extremely curious. If you're currently out of work, you
don't have to say so, just list your career field.

I am a Substitute Teacher for Cumberland Co. North Carolina, married to a
Blackhawk mechanic/inspector who is medically retired from the US army.

Pam S.

I work for Social Services in the UK, Child Protection side. The "social
police" !!! I am not a social worker, but have spent so many years sitting
alongside them that I now think like one.. Osmosis. ;)

Tweed

Howard Berkowitz January 15th 05 11:09 PM

In article , CK
wrote:

Sherry wrote:
My mom was a typesetter when she was young too, building up the text
from the individual characters made out of metal. Then she went on to
doing it on computer-like machines, not so computer-like in the
beginning tho, they were loud machines as they operated on pressurized
air, punching holes into a ribbon of paper - that was the text.

YES. Your mom either worked with Compugraphic or Verityper. Back then,
setting
up print jobs was a real craft, and took a lot of skill. You couldn't
"see"
what you were creating until it was finished, ran the punched tape
through the
machine and you developed the film. If you were typing a long legal
notice, and
lost your place, it was a nightmare to figure out from the punched tape
where
you left off. Imagine doing desktop publishing without a monitor.
That's what
it was like. Still I loved it though. I remember when Compugraphic came
out
with the Unisetter, and you could see your text one line at a time. I
though,
wow, that's for wimps.
Your mom & I *would* have a lot to talk about!

Sherry

I've been racking my brain since this last post and now I remember she
called the noisy machine a Monotype. Then there were also Linotype
machines. In those days she worked for a fairly large printing house
that made most of the calendars in Finland as well as other big printed
items, such as sets of encyclopaedias - still have a set she got cheap
when working there, it's dated in the 1970's. Oh well, the old guys are
still the same, but some of the newer ones may have kicked the bucket
since then...

My parents speak English too, so you actually *could* talk, if you did
happen to meet, however remote that chance is.

From a friend who was a newspaper typesetter, I learned that it was
quite common, in the US, to have deaf Linotype operators -- it was
considered an advantage for the high noise environment of those
machines. Hearing typesetters were generally not accepted until they had
at least working sign language fluency.

Was this the case in other countries?

Howard Berkowitz January 15th 05 11:10 PM

In article j3fGd.285$Nu.14@fed1read04, Rrb
wrote:

Howard Berkowitz wrote:
In article , Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article ,
Helen
Miles at
wrote on 1/14/05 5:12 PM:

Part time TV Producer for ice-hockey programmes & wildlife programmes.

Now THERE's an unusual combination.

I agree! Lions and tigers and bears, throwing in the stray mongoose,
probably are less violent than hockey players. :-)

I work as a computer programmer at company who produces software and HW
solutions for the manufacturing industry and other related industries.

Yeah that would probably make a good show. Just so long as the bear is
not this one:
http://www.kioz.com/grizzly.html. WARNING: this site
contains some graphic pictures after a bear attack. Supposedly this
grizzly is the biggest on record!

This may be a good argument not to support the right to arm bears.

Mathew Kagis January 15th 05 11:15 PM

SNIP

The remainder of the game may have been the quietest, most courteous
hockey game in history.

LOL.... Be a MAN!!! EAT da puck!!! Beautifull, Howard... Reminds me of the
gag we pulled in my old high school cafeteria..

Person A runs in, acting like he's gonna puke, leaning over an empty table,
he colapses the squeezable bottle hidden under his jacket, realeasing cold
Campbell's chunky soup all over the place, with apropriate wretching noises.

Persons B & C (myself being one of these) Run over with spoons in hand &
begin greedily consuming person A's 'vomit'.... Chaos insues.

Yowie January 15th 05 11:18 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Sherry wrote:
Ok, I'm curious. What does everyone in here do for tuna money? I
know
we have some, ok a lot, of computer geeks, educators (or what
passes for one) and so forth.

Before desktop publishing was ever heard of, I was a "typesetter."
There's a word you don't hear anymore.

LOL I learned programming on punch cards.

More recently I managed the art department at a metro newspaper and
did ad design / layout, page layout, etc. Then my health just didn't
allow me to work anymore.
Now I think I'm what you call a recluse.

Sherry

Jill ---also a recluse

Nah, you and Sherry are just in the training period for the position of
"Crazy Cat Lady". You've both got the "recluse" bit workedout, but you both
need several dozen more cats before you get your official "Crazy Cat Lady"
diploma ;-)

Yowie

jmcquown January 15th 05 11:26 PM

Mathew Kagis wrote:
OK, I'll bite-- what is *in* a RL version PanGalactic Gargleblaster?

'The effect of drinking a Pangalactic Gargleblaster is like having
your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon, wrapped 'round a large
gold brick" - Douglas Adams

OK, our recipie is: El Jimador tequila, Absinthe & Goldshlager (gotta
represent the gold brick somehow) Shaken on Ice, served in a Martini
glass & garnished (of course) with a slice of lemon. Limit, 2 per
customer...;-)

Absinthe is legal?!

Jill