Old November 20th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
herbie

Default what to do

Hey maybe the owner is sick of taking him to all these jerkoff
incompetent, greedy, unprofessional "doctors" of veterinary medicine?
In itself an exercise in cruelty for both owners and pets.
Offer to help pay to have it euthanized if your so worried.

"Matthew" wrote in
ng.com:

did you ask the owner what they were doing and if they could afford to
do so "pussypower" wrote in message

41g2000yqf.googlegroups.com..
.
What do cat owners out there make of this. A near neighbor has a cat
with oral cancer and it cannot eat properly . It can eat but not
efficiently. It takes ages to eat a small amount because its face
is distorted by the cancer. Its mouth is permanently open and the
tongue hanging out. It is about 1/3rd to 1/2 of its original weight.
Is very bony and its eyes look odd. pupils large and at times it
seems less visually competant than it used to be. The diagnosis was
some months ago. The owner is making no efforts to have it
euthanised despite its disfigurement and its drooling all the time.
It cannot groom itself and is very dirty with bloodstained fur. vet
advised at the beginning that it need not be oput to sleep so long as
it is able to eat. However, I think what is meant by "eating" is
not the same thing as able to manage tiny amounts and slowly
starving. Such a difficult scenario when you know the owner. I
wonder whether perhaps they are just unable to face the decision to
bring an end to it. I wonder whether I should offer to go with them
to the vet if they feel the time is up. On the other hand, it is
into potential cruelty territory because as far as I can see an
animals suffering needs to be treated, even if the illness is
terminal. No active treatment is being provided and it seems to me
that the animal has not been examined for months. I hate to be
complicit (not legally but in terms of conscience) in this
situation by failing to challenge the owner. The owner may now feel
that taking the animal to the vet in what is so obviously a
chillingly emaciated and disfigured scraggy appearance might lead to
some problems. I have no idea. The animal does not appear to have
stopped trying to eat and can walk.

Any advice would be appreciated