Old August 18th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
stephcat

Default FIV: NOT An Automatic Death Sentence

My family and I have been caring for our own FIV+ cats for the past
four years, and we regularly correspond with other pet owners who are
doing the same.

Cats with FIV can enjoy a high quality of life for many years, if
properly cared for. Yet many vet clinics still encourage pet owners to
euthanize their cats the moment they test positive for the disease,
even when the animals aren't showing symptoms yet.

I would encourage any pet owner faced with this difficult news to get
the facts before making any rash decisions. Best Friends Animal
Society has a wonderful article on their site, which dispels a number
of common myths about FIV. "Feline AIDS: A Pet Owner's Guide" by
Thomas Hapka also discusses this issue in depth and offers natural
treatment strategies and additional resources.

Best Friends can be found online at: http://bestfriends.org/

"Feline AIDS: A Pet Owner's Guide" can be found at: http://felineaids.org/

The bottom line is that FIV is not an automatic death sentence, and no
cat should be put to sleep simply for testing positive for this
disease. Thanks for listening.

Steph
http://www.geocities.com/stephcat560/