Old April 21st 05, 08:15 PM
Philip

Orchid wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:35:30 -0400, "Mary"
wrote:

I believe a poster with the nym "Orchid" had Bengals.

Has. Temujin and Kefka are alive, well, and Temujin is sacked
out on my lap after playing 'chase my brother around the house 20
times'.

There has been a
great deal of discussion about them here so you might want to do
a Google search on this group.

I responded to the OP in alt.cats, but I reiterate advice here
to read my 'Top Ten Reasons You Don't Want A Bengal'. I love them,
but many people would not.

There are plenty of full-bred and
part Bengals at shelters everywhere--perhaps some people do
not like their high activity levels. One nice thing about a cat
that has been in a no-kill shelter for a few months is that you
know they have good elimination habits and have been well
socialized to people and cats.

If the OP is just after the coat pattern of a Bengal, that's a
not bad idea. Actually, if the OP is just after the older coat
pattern, that'll work. You're not going to find a cat like this at a
shelter, and if you do, snap him up because he won't be there long.

http://www.wildlovebengals.com/studs.html

If the OP is after the full package, I'd recommend either
Bengal Rescue and a known purebreed or a responsible breeder. Either
way, I strongly recommend the OP joining Bengals-L (a yahoo group) to
connect with other owners and responsible breeders who can help with
breed quirks.

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Orchid: Thank you for your response. I will check alt.cats for your post
and "'Top Ten Reasons You Don't Want A Bengal'. I'm NOT looking primarily
for a handsome cat. I am looking for another *interactive* indoor only cat.
My last tabby of 14 yrs passed on recently due to an enlarged heart.
Wondering if Bengals keep their claws retracted when playing around with
adult people, is rather bold with visitors, reasonably vocal, and possess
robust health.

I'll look for your Top Ten ...

Thanks