Old July 12th 04, 04:58 AM
Sunflower

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" wrote
in message news:B%kIc.5929$i_3.5279@fed1read04...

I'm a little worried about larger traps as the
vets give anesthetic to the ferals before spay
through the cages and it seems a larger trap
would make that more difficult. Is that a
reasonable fear?

No if the vet handles ferals enough to know what she's doing. I'm a vet
tech with a low cost spay/neuter operation, and since I'm also the "cat
lady" with the Humane Society, it usually ends up being me who handles
getting the ferals out of the cage. It's been darn rare that we've had to
resort to the syringe on the pole. Usually a fishing net, a towel, and a
bit of rotating the trap around it's axis a time or two will result in the
cat emerging safely within the fishing net, and covered with the towel,
immobile enough to administer anesthesia to quite easily. Or, there's the
other approach of one of the local vets who has an oxygen chamber that's
he's able to pump ISO through. He just places the whole trap in there,
gasses them out and then removes them.